The Ticket..

Status
Not open for further replies.

12-34hom

Jack took a long look at his speedomter before slowing down: 79 in a 55zone.

Fourth time in so many months. How could this guy get caught so often?

When his car had slowed down to 10mph, Jack pulled over only paritially, let this cop worry about some potential traffic hazard, maybe some other car will tweak his backside with its mirror.

This cop was stepping out of his car with a big pad.

Bob? Bob from church? jack sunk ever lower into his trenchcoat, this was worst than the coming ticket.

A Christian cop catching a guy from his own church. A guy who happened to be a little eager to get home after a long day at the office. A guy who he was about to go and meet; with other friends at the shooting range tommorrow. Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw every Sunday, but never in uniform.

Hi Bob. "Fancy meeting you like this".

"Hello, Jack". No smile.

"Guess you caught me red handed in a rush to see my wife and kids".
"Yea i guess so".

Bob seemed uncertain... good.

"I've seen some long days at the office lately, i'm afraid i've bent the rules a bit just this once". Jack toed a pebble on the pavement.
"Diane said something about roast beef and potatoes tonight", Do you know what i mean?

Yea, "i know what you mean, i also know you have a reputation in this precinct".

OUCH! This was not going in the right direction. Time to change tactics.

What"d you clock me at?

NOW WAIT A MINUTE HERE, BOB i checked as soon as i saw you, i was barely doing 65! [The lie seemed to come easier with every ticket].

Please, Jack go back to your car.

Flustered, Jack Launched himself through the still open door, slamming it shut! He just stared at the dashboard, he was inno rush to open that window.

The minutes ticked by as Bob scribbled on the pad....

Why hadn't he asked for a drivers license?
Whatever the reason, it would be a month of Sundays before he would ever go shooting with this cop again.

A tap on the door, Jack jerks his head around to the left.
There was Bob, ticket in hand.

Jack rolled the window down a mere inch, just enough room for Bob to pass the citation.

"Thanks" Jack could not quite keep the sneer out of his voice.

Bob returned to his police car without a word. Jack watched his retreat in the mirror, then unfolded the sheet of paper, HOW MUCH WAS THIS ONE GONNA COST? Wait a minute, was this some kind of joke..it certainly was not a ticket.

Jack began to read....

Dear Jack, Once upon a time i had a daughter, she was six years old when killed by a car.

Yes, you guessed it - a speeding driver, fined - three months in jail - then he was set free to hug his daughters, all three of them.

I only had one, i'm going to wait until i get to heaven before i get to hug her again.

A thousand times I've tried to forgive that man. A thousand times i thought i had.

Maybe i did.. but i need to do it again. Even now.. pray for me.. and be careful.. my son is all i have left. "Bob"

Jack turned around just in time to see Bobs car pull away and head down the road.

Jack watched until it disappeared. Fifteen minutes later, he too, pulled away and drove slowly home, praying for forgivness and hugging his suprised wife and kids when he arrived at home.

Life is precious... Handel with care.

Please drive Safely and carefully.. remember cars are not the only thing recalled by thier maker.

[This message has been edited by 12-34hom (edited October 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 12-34hom (edited October 17, 2000).]

Mikul

While this imaginary cop obviously felt pain over his daughter's death, his actions are grossly misplaced.

If he gave him a ticket, he did it because the guy as violating some technical statute as valid as banning a gun because it has a threaded barrel.

By writing him that letter he implied that Jack was responsible for his daughter's death and that was completely uncalled for and downright mean.

Dennis Olson

Mikul, methinks you need to take a chill pill, and try to read inspirational stories at face value.

You are very angry, which your response to this fictional story proves. Perhaps you might want to look into that.

Mikul

I realize this is fiction, and while I see the point that it is trying to make, it also shows how someone can misplace his anger and pain and allow it to take over his life to the point where he feels it necessary to make others feel guilty for something they've never done.

Unfortunately, the premise of the story is based on this person's misplaced hostility and loses its effect in the process. It's not really a critique of Jack or Bob, but the construction of the story. Start with a flawed premise and the whole thing falls flat.

The end of the story has Jack praying for forgiveness, yet he hasn't harmed anyone. I'm all for a good tearjerker or inspirational story, but this isn't one. This story tries to teach a lot of things indirectly that many of us fight against.

My response to this story in person would be much less wordy... more like... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.