The things we do to our revolvers.

Hotdog1911

This time it wasn't me who did this.

I just came across a early set of 1970s or 60s S&W K-Frame Square Butt Target Stocks that have, yes I'm sad to say, been sanded-down on the left panel. Maybe it was the previous owner who did this so he could use speed loaders a littler eaiser. Were talking real walnut. Some little green slotches have started on the metal on one of the insignia panels.

Back in the day I guess you didn't need any fancy wood custom anything stocks for a S&W. These have a look to them that just says...How do you say, 'Geeze what is put out today looks junkie!'.

warwagon

S&W stocks

Hotdog 1911,

I have a mod. 49, no -dash, that has had the same treatment. It was used as a second gun on assignments where such an animal was called for.

At that time, the selection of stocks was far more limited than it is today. I found the factory stocks to be just about ideal for the purpose intended, except that they would not facilitate speed loaders.

My decision to have them modified was one of function, over aesthetics.

The weapon wears the same stocks today, and they still serve the intended purpose .

Best regards,
Blair

P-990

It's not a set of old walnut grips, but I recently hacked the lower finger groove off of the grip on my 629-1. My hands are too small for 95% of finger-grooved stocks, so I tend to prefer smooth. I'm not so sure that taking the top one off might not be a bad idea either! ;)

Of course, it's a shooter, not a collector. And don't look at my target AR-15 if chop-mods make you cringe. :cool: