The Standard Manufacturing S333 Thunderstruck - How do you feel about it?

Forte S+W

So this unique and potentially innovative firearm has been out in the wild for awhile now, and despite being a product of the usually expensive Standard Manufacturing company, it's actually priced affordably, so I can see some folks actually buying them. The question is, does anyone here actually own one? I ask because although I've seen this firearm discussed several times before, I've yet to see anyone who actually owns one posting about it.

In fact, the most interest I've ever seen in this gun was; "If they make one in .327 Magnum, then I'll be interested." But Standard Manufacturing's product page says otherwise...

WARNING: The following is the official product description from the S333 Thunderstruck webpage, complete with some sarcastic critical commentary added for comedic effect as well as fair use of copyrighted material. Reader Discretion is advised. (Sorry, but I had to throw this in because some guy on another forum got all offended and chewed me out over it because apparently he couldn't tell that it was done in jest.)

https://stdgun.com/s333-thunderstruck/

ATTENTION: S333 Thunderstruck™ orders will take 3 weeks to ship due to overwhelming demand!

Either this is a complete lie or just about everyone who's interested in these is too ashamed to admit it.

The S333 Thunderstruck™ sets the standard for the ultimate in personal protection by simultaneously firing two rounds of .22 Win Mag with each pull of the trigger. With four pulls of the trigger, eight rounds are fired in only three seconds.

I've heard my fair share of bold claims by firearms manufacturers, but this one really takes the cake... I mean, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that a double-tap with a .22WMR "sets the standard for ultimate personal protection" not to mention the first time I've ever heard the .22WMR referred to as ".22 Win Mag".

By combining standard ammunition and birdshot, each pull of the trigger will deliver an incredible combination of firepower and very light recoil.

Oops, spoke too soon... If nothing else, you guys have certainly set a new standard for absurdly bold claims in modern-day firearms marketing. Because I haven't seen firearms marketing this silly since early 1900s firearms advertisements.

The S333 Thunderstruck™ is incredibly reliable because it functions as a Double Action Revolver. These Revolvers are far more superior to any other automatic pistol which are rendered useless when they jam or misfire. Additionally, the two shots per pull, with four pulls of the trigger, makes the S333 Thunderstruck™ the most redundant and reliable personal protection firearm when your life is on the line.

Rolling out that old yarn now, are we? I'm fairly certain that most firearms instructors would disagree with this statement, but then again, they aren't trying to sell a gimmicky 2-shot revolver chambered in a cartridge which is about as powerful as .38 Special +P out of a Rifle and falls short of .380 ACP out of a pistol.

The S333 Thunderstruck™ also features an articulated safety integral into the trigger and requires a deliberate and full pull of the trigger before the transfer bar will clear from the firing pins and hammers. The resulting S333 Thunderstruck™ is the safest personal protection firearm available.

So basically, it's your average double action trigger, only excessively heavier and requires 2 fingers to pull? Sorry guys, but if Smith & Wesson couldn't convince folks that the SIGMA Series heavy DA trigger was a safety feature, then you most certainly won't convince anyone that the monstrous trigger pull on this is either.

Our patented design of the S333 Thunderstruck™ is the most compact and concealable firearm imaginable of its type. The small size allows it to be carried in your pocket or purse and can be easily retrieved when needed.

Well yeah, but then again, it's technically "the only firearm of it's type" period, so that isn't saying much.

The ergonomic design of the S333 Thunderstruck™ features a comfortable polymer grip, intuitive controls, and no clumsy safety. This makes the S333 Volleyfire™ the ideal choice in personal protection when your life depends on it.

I would argue that the ridiculously heavy DA trigger you were just pushing as a safety feature qualities as a "clumsy safety". Perhaps even the clumsiest safety ever devised, or at least the clumsiest attempt at pushing an inherently heavy double action trigger as a safety. Also, is it called the "Thunderstruck" or the "Volleyfire"? Because not only have you referred to it as both in the same paragraph, but you trademarked both names as well.

---

Joking aside, this is an interesting design, and I'm no stranger to experimenting with new/innovative designs, especially ones which I anticipate have the potential for mass market appeal. I myself own a Taurus Judge Magnum, which is another unusual revolver design which also fires multiple projectiles at once, albeit by means of chambering .410 shotshells.
However, I do not own a S333 Thunderstruck, and I'm curious to hear what other folks think of it, especially those who own or at least have fired one themselves.

PatientWolf

Wow. That’s one ugly pistol.

Just a suggestion: you may get more responses posting in the revolver section of the forum.

44 AMP

Staff
I had never seen or heard of this before.

Not for me, I am totally turned off by guns without triggerguards.

I'm sure they must have submitted the design to the ATF and gotten approval, but I makes me wonder, especially since the ATF is known to change its mind on what is, and is not regulated under the NFA.

It would be an interesting test case, I think, when/if someone at the ATF decides it's worth bothering with. It seems that while its not a "self loader" it does meet the definition of a full automatic firearm, because it "fires more than one round with a single action of the trigger" (which, years ago was "a single pull of the trigger")

UNLESS, despite what I see in the picture there are actually two triggers.

As to the "devasting power" of firing one bullet and one shot round at the same time, I would remind all that the shot loaded in the .22 Magnum case is usually #12, which is the smallest size above "dust". And I would hardly call it's effect "devastating" ...

Forte S+W

PatientWolf said:
Wow. That’s one ugly pistol.

Just a suggestion: you may get more responses posting in the revolver section of the forum.

You know what's funny? I never really considered this gun to be outstandingly ugly, but then again, after laying eyes upon monstrosities like the LeMat Cartridge Revolver and the Dardick Pistol, my benchmark for ugliness has shot straight into outer space.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of it since I never go there, but I'm fine with it being here regardless and I think it's against the rules to post duplicate threads.

44 AMP said:
I had never seen or heard of this before.

I'm sure they must have submitted the design to the ATF and gotten approval, but I makes me wonder, especially since the ATF is known to change its mind on what is, and is not regulated under the NFA.

It would be an interesting test case, I think, when/if someone at the ATF decides it's worth bothering with. It seems that while its not a "self loader" it does meet the definition of a full automatic firearm, because it "fires more than one round with a single action of the trigger" (which, years ago was "a single pull of the trigger")

UNLESS, despite what I see in the picture there are actually two triggers.

As to the "devasting power" of firing one bullet and one shot round at the same time, I would remind all that the shot loaded in the .22 Magnum case is usually #12, which is the smallest size above "dust". And I would hardly call it's effect "devastating" ...

Given the extremely heavy DA trigger pull and the necessity to flip down that secondary-finger-rest-safety-thingy, (I know, I'm a poet) it should be safe to pocket carry without a trigger guard.

*shrugs* I'm pretty sure the ATF doesn't care enough about stuff like this enough to bother reclassifying it. Ineffectual though it may be, the purpose of the NFA was to keep extremely deadly weaponry out of the hands of would-be criminals, and it seems like the ATF only reclassifies things in the event that they've been successfully used in a mass murder and/or have gained media infamy, so the Thunderstruck is probably safe.

I'm pretty sure it's just one trigger and two firing pins, the thing that extends below the trigger serves a dual purpose of providing the shooter with more leverage and is part of a trigger safety mechanism.

Yeah, that was my favorite part. .22 Magnum Shotshells aren't "devastating" to anything besides rats or maybe snakes. Heck, even 000 out of a Taurus Judge only delivers about as much energy per pellet as .32 ACP. The most a .22WMR shotshell might do to a man is blind him. (Not that being blinded wouldn't stop the threat or at least allow for escape, but still, "devastating" it is most certainly not.)

Cheapshooter

You certainly went into this with an open mind, and ojectivity...NOT!
A good friend just picked his up last week. Yes, it took several weeks to get it after ordered. Not saying it would be a particularly great SD weapon, but a bunch of 22 mag rounds sure would leave a mark. His main use other than just having such a unique piece is as a snake gun. Loaded with shot cartridges it is bound to ruin the day for any cottonmouth creating a threat when my pal is on Okeechobee, or down in the Glades fishing.
I shot his a few times and have to say it's quite interesting, and enough fun that I will be ordering one soon.

Cheapshooter

I'm pretty sure it's just one trigger and two firing pins, the thing that extends below the trigger serves a dual purpose of providing the shooter with more leverage and is part of a trigger safety mechanism.
Yes, and no. Yes it provides more leverage, but no it is not part of the trigger safety. The trigger safety is in the top trigger area. The bottom does not fold up. All one solid piece. But I think the way they get around the two for one rule is that it is near impossible to hold your middle finger in any position other than on the second section of trigger to fire it. If you hold the grip with enough strenget to have the leverage needed to pull the trigger with a normal trigger pull your middle finger needs to be wrapped around the grip. In this position you are blocking the trigger movement with your middle finger.
From someone who spent time shooting one of these believe me you have to have both fingers on the trigger to make it go boom. Or is that boomboom?

USNRet93

despite being a product of the usually expensive Standard Manufacturing company, it's actually priced affordably, so I can see some folks actually buying them.

$375-$425 or so in the wild..I wouldn't say it's 'priced affordably'..could 'almost' buy 2 LCPs for that. BUT

I think it's interesting and it's good to see somebody 'thinking outta the box', instead of ANOTHER small semi auto. 'Better' than the small, DA wee 22 revolvers out there, IMHO..
LGS had one..lasted about 2 days on their shelf before it was sold.

Dave T

"How do you feel about it?"

The hype is pretty amazing. I can't decide if the middle manager who hired that ad agency is a fool or a genius.

As to the gun itself. No thanks.

Dave

shurshot

I can't imagine someone buying one of these, when there are so many other viable options available for SD, such as the S&W 642, 638, M&P, Glocks, etc. Free market I guess. :D

44 AMP said:
Agreed. Not interested for this reason alone.

44 AMP said:

I, too, wondered immediately how this is not classified as a machine gun.

Cheapshooter

I, too, wondered immediately how this is not classified as a machine gun.
I think that was the delay, and ultimate redesign of their original province stol, the Volley Fire. It had a single trigger which fired two rounds with a single pull.
My speculation is that because even though the two trigger sections are in one piece, it is nearly impossible to fire the Thunderstruck without pulling on both trigger sections. Making it two pulls, all be it simultaneously, to fire two rounds.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Reading both the description and the TTAG review, I'm left with the following thoughts:
  • 23-lb trigger pull;
  • Why isn't this a machine gun?
  • Will it be a machine gun next week?
  • Bizarre, dangerous cutaway trigger guard;
  • Recoil comparable to a .38 snub; and
  • 23-lb trgger pull.

As usual, I wouldn't mind shooting one. I won't be investing in one, though. As I had to teach my child several years ago, "Sometimes, you'll have an idea and notice that nobody is doing whatever you've thought of. The fact that 'nobody' is doing something doesn't always mean that the idea is a new one. Sometimes, that means that everyone else who had the same idea decided it was a bad one."

Cheapshooter

23-lb trigger pull;
Why isn't this a machine gun?
Will it be a machine gun next week?
Bizarre, dangerous cutaway trigger guard;
Recoil comparable to a .38 snub; and
23-lb trgger pull.

23-lb trigger pull with a blade style trigger safety
Bizarre, dangerous cutaway trigger guard with a 23-lb trigger pull, and trigger safety
23-lb trgger pull "With two digits it feels like a “conventionally” heavy 10-15 pounds of pull."
It's all in the Truth About Guns review I posted the link to earlier. Including the fact that they have an approval letter from the BATF.
Again, pure speculation here, but probably because of the double trigger mechanism that is nearly imposdible to fire with one finger. Thus making it two pulls at the same time to fire two rounds.

Recoil comparable to a .38 snub. In my limited experience of shooting my friends Thunderstruck I would disagree with this. Maybe like a 38 snub with very light target loads.

Forte S+W

Cheapshooter said:
$375-$425 or so in the wild..I wouldn't say it's 'priced affordably'..could 'almost' buy 2 LCPs for that. BUT

I think it's interesting and it's good to see somebody 'thinking outta the box', instead of ANOTHER small semi auto. 'Better' than the small, DA wee 22 revolvers out there, IMHO..
LGS had one..lasted about 2 days on their shelf before it was sold.

Granted that affordability is subjective, but I would surmise that for most folks, the Thunderstruck is affordable, based on how often I see folks on firearms forums bragging about their latest acquisition of a firearm costing upwards of $500.
Heck, just a few days ago I was shocked and slightly disgusted by a discussion I saw in which folks were expressing a desire for the new Colt Python to be offered with a 2.5" Barrel for concealed carry. The new Colt Python has an MSRP of $1499, so apparently these folks have enough money that they can afford to drop 1.5 grand on a carry gun. So yeah, in perspective, the Thunderstruck seems affordable.

Spats McGee said:
Reading both the description and the TTAG review, I'm left with the following thoughts:

• 23-lb trigger pull;
  • Why isn't this a machine gun?
  • Will it be a machine gun next week?
  • Bizarre, dangerous cutaway trigger guard;
  • Recoil comparable to a .38 snub; and
  • 23-lb trgger pull.

As usual, I wouldn't mind shooting one. I won't be investing in one, though. As I had to teach my child several years ago, "Sometimes, you'll have an idea and notice that nobody is doing whatever you've thought of. The fact that 'nobody' is doing something doesn't always mean that the idea is a new one. Sometimes, that means that everyone else who had the same idea decided it was a bad one."

• Yep, 23lbs. (And folks think the SIGMA's 8lb-12lb trigger was excessively heavy.)
  • Because the ATF is inconsistent in their classification of firearms and seemingly only bothers classifying firearms which are potentially extremely deadly as NFA Items.
  • Not unless someone successfully uses the Thunderstuck in a mass murder or it gains infamy within the mass media.
  • I doubt that anyone could accidentally pull a trigger that weighs 23lbs, especially not if carried in a holster as any firearm ought to be.
  • Depending on the firearm its fired from, .38 Special can feel like shooting .22LR. Honestly, shooting .38 Special out of my brother's S&W Model 10 4" Heavy Barrel has less recoil than my Walther PPK/S .22.
  • Indeed, it seems like the H&K VP70 may no longer have the worst handgun trigger.

If only the vast majority of film directors could understand such a simple concept, then perhaps they would stop using absurd lighting, odd camera angles, insufficient audio, and incoherent "non-linear storytelling" then self-proclaiming it as "avant-garde" just because everyone else had the good sense not to do such things before.

Cheapshooter

Depending on the firearm its fired from, .38 Special can feel like shooting .22LR. Honestly, shooting .38 Special out of my brother's S&W Model 10 4" Heavy Barrel has less recoil than my Walther PPK/S .22.
The review actually said comparable to a 38 Special snubbie.
I think it was considerably less than my LCR with anything more than very light target loads.

I doubt that anyone could accidentally pull a trigger that weighs 23lbs, especially not if carried in a holster as any firearm ought to be.
Plus the fact that there is a trigger safety that must be also be depressed.