The Siren Song Of The 642 (What Is Your Weakness?)

Joe_Pike

I started carrying not quite ten years ago and my first carry gun was a Smith & Wesson 642-2. I did hours and hours of research before making that purchase. It ended up carrying so well that I bought a 442-2 as an "on deck" gun. I later replaced those two with the 642-1 and 442-1. The 642 has been my main carry gun for most of that time except for those times I could only carry something like my LCP (I pocket carry almost exclusively). The down side of the 642 is that it is not that pleasant to shoot and only carries five rounds.

Several months ago I decided that I should maybe think about moving to something with a higher capacity. I tried a Glock 26 for a while and couldn't find a way that I liked carrying it. I then tried the Sig P938. Wow, what a little minx that gun is. It's sexy, is more accurate than I would have ever thought and is an absolute pleasure to shoot. It's only three more rounds than the 642, but hey, it was a start. So, I started carrying it and it just about disappears in my pocket. I've somehow accidentally knocked the safety off a couple of times which bothers me a little, but the trigger is heavy enough and is covered by the holster well enough that it didn't bother me enough to stop carrying it.

A week or so ago I decided to stick the 642 in my pocket for old times sake and it has been there ever since. The little gun feels like it was made for my hand with the rubber boot grips. I had some real nice checkered rosewood boot grips on it but switched them back out for the rubber ones. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to comfortably carry some speed loaders to go along with it.

Is there a gun that any of you have that has that irresistible Siren Song going for it?

2damnold4this

I like the 642 but now carry a 342 for no other reason than the front sight is pinned and could be swapped for a Big Dot. I had to disassemble the cylinder and use a round stone to break the sharp edges of the charging holes of the 342 to aid with reloads while the 642's holes were perfect from the factory. If the 642's front sight was better or easily swapped, I would have never bought the 342.

Deaf Smith

My weakness is K frame S&W snubs. 2 and 2 1/2 inch barreled ones.

Preferably old ones. Nuthing better than a 1950s made round butt 2 inch .38 pre-model 10 with paddle wheel front sight.

Deaf

Dain Bramage

From the numbers in my safe, it would be Ruger SA's, 9x18mm service pistols, and J-Frame Smiths (with a subset of .32 Mags).

Guv

First center fire pistol back in 79:

A T/C Contender with a 10" octagon 30-30 and a 14" 223 barrel.
Long Gone:mad:

Today:
3 TC's, 8" 44mag octagon, 10" 25-35 octagon and a 10" Bull 357 Max.:D

Gunnut17

My weakness as a Westerner is Eastern European engineering is so darn artful that I hate the ulitiariangly lacking-elegance tools and blunt firearms that they make in those former satellites of non-Soviet thought.

(Basically: Glocks are ugly, but somehow I love Steyr M9A1 style of utilitarian if not a little ugly duckling of an artful design.)

tlm225

I have a 642 that I've carried for over 15 years. It's my on-duty back up gun and occasion Off-duty. Durable and reliable, a gun that you can carry anytime. While I have speedloaders for it I rarely use them. One or two speedstrips in the pocket or watch pocket of my jeans seem to take up no space and make for fumble free reloads.

old bear

I have to agree with Deaf Smith, on this one. IMO the 2 1/2" round butt M- 19/66's are as close to perfect for an all around revolver, yet produced. I do find them a little bulky for IWB carry though.

Lately my model 640 is getting carried more and more.

CajunBass

My weakness is Smith & Wesson "K-Frames" from the late 40's to mid late 70's or so. Especially with diamond grips. I'm a sucker for them.

I've got one J and one N, but it's the K's that really get my attention.

ThomasT

I really like 32 caliber revolvers. I have 7 of them right now and am always on the hunt for more. I also have a Manhurin/Walther PP 32 made in 1957 that is a sweet little shooter. And last but not least a Marlin 1894 in 32 magnum with octagon barrel. I paid $620 for it and it would bring $1500+ if I decided to sell it. But its not going anywhere for the time being.

9ballbilly

There is a warm place in my heart for the C.A. Classic bulldog .44spl.

Just something about a lightweight, easily concealable big bore that speaks to me.

orionengnr

I have owned a number of j-frames (still have a 637), at least three LCPs (still have a Custom) and others.

But I keep coming back to my Kahr PM9. I started EDCing it about ten years ago, tried other things but kept coming back.

hemiram

In semiautos, mine is CZ and the many clones. I love them, especially the all steel ones.

In revolvers, I have two, Dan Wesson 15-2's and S&W N frames. If I had to have only one, it would be a DW, simply because I can fix them so easily, and I know them so well.

jr24

My siren song is the Hi Power. It is just such a beautiful gun that I keep going back to carrying it. At least until I remember (compared to my usual carry Glocks) that:

1. The hammer pokes me in the ribs when I bend
2. It is heavy compared to my Glocks (yes, I have god holsters and belts).
3. slide/hammer bite when I grip too high, which is every time I work out of the holster.
4. I just don't shoot it as good as my Glocks or 1911's.

Then I go back to my Glock 17/26 for carry. For a few months.