the shop where you machine your own 1911

xrageofangelsx

I remember reading about this particular gun shop that sells "blanks" that are firearms only about 80% percent finished. The shop gives you the option of dropping by and machining a 1911 clone that is made by you and does not have to be serialized by the FTA because it is homemade and can never be transferred. Anyone know of this side? All I remember is that it seemed like it was in Iowa or Idaho and the guy was a Christian (he had the Icthus on his webpage). Anyone familiar with this? I thought I had it book marked but I didn't.

xrageofangelsx

I've been to both and I cannot remember which one it is, if either. The place I was thinking of actually allowed you to visit and use the tools they had for finishing the fire arms. Although, I could be wrong. Either way, I am completely interested in building my own 1911.

kend

...does not have to be serialized by the FTA because it is homemade and can never be transferred.

A serial number is not required because it was made by an unlicensed individual and not a licensed manufacturer. I don't think there is a problem transferring ownership as long as it you don't sell so many as to make it appear you are "in the business". What that magic number is I have no idea.

vertigo7

A serial number is not required because it was made by an unlicensed individual and not a licensed manufacturer. I don't think there is a problem transferring ownership as long as it you don't sell so many as to make it appear you are "in the business". What that magic number is I have no idea.

A dissenting opinion from Tanneryshop.com, bottom of the front page:

The castings do NOT have any serial numbers or roll marks on them (normally the last step in the manufacturing process). In this form they are still considered to be just pieces of metal as far as the BATF and the Brady Bill are concerned. If the manufacturer takes them one step further... then they are subject to all the laws of the land that apply to firearms. Remember that as far as the ATF is concerned... the frame/receiver IS the firearm.... and everything else is just parts.

<snip>

Ok..... sounds really cool huh? So what's the rub?

Well the bottom line is... YOU (and only you) have to finish the final machining process on it yourself. There are no serial numbers and the firearm (once it is complete) can NEVER.... let me say that again to be sure you understand it... NEVER, EVER be sold to anyone else.... period! It would be a firearm for "personal use only" and the only other living soul that you may legally give it to would be an heir (to your son in your will for instance).

If you build your own firearm in this way, then you are acting as a firearms manufacturer which is perfectly legal as long as it is for personal use only.

Which of you is correct, I know not.

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Check the BATFE website for the latest legals and draw your own conclusions.

xrageofangelsx

I actually called KT Ordinance and he said that once a year they will have an open house where it is free to use his tools. Heck of a nice guy, we talked for a good 20 minutes or so and he answered all 50 questions or so I asked him. If I can make it out there, I will and maybe bring a few 100% machined firearms back with me. :p

PythonGuy

I saw a story in one of the gun magazines earlier this year, the author built a 1911 at this shop which trains gunsmiths. I think the author was Stephen A. Camp, who posts over at www.1911forum.com. He can be contacted there and is a freelance writer for several popular gun mags.