The Season's Over Too Fast

warbirdlover

During the gun season I bought a CVA Optima black powder rifle so I could hunt the 10 day muzzleloader season after the gun season. I'm really hooked. I'm even thinking of using this for BOTH seasons next year. Anyone else use one of these during rifle season?

attachment.php

Attachments

• me-small22.jpg
    me-small22.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 142

shortwave

Well...we don't have a deer rifle season in Ohio but I love to use my bp's during our shotgun season.

We have our veeerry short statewide bp season approaching Jan 5th thru Jan. 8th.

There's just no since our Ohio bp season cannot be lengthened to at least match the nine total days allowed in our shotgun season. :mad:

bird_dog

I live in shotgun country in WNY, and very often carry the CVA Optima during the regular gun season as well as muzzleloader season. It's accounted for a bunch of deer for me, topped with a Tasco World Class 4X scope.

I think it's highly accurate, reliable, and well made.

Our season ends TODAY. First time in 10 years that I've been skunked. And, the worst part, it's raining.

But I'll be out there till the bitter end.

Good luck!

Saltydog235

Man, I couldn't imagine having a 10 day season, that would suck.

I have to admit I'm getting tired though, 4 months will wear on you hunting 3 or 4 times a week.

shortwave

Our archery season runs from the last week of Sept. till the first week of Feb. This year the exact dates are Sept 29, 2012 thru Feb 3, 2013.

I don't mind about our long bow season as most don't bow hunt much past opening day of shotgun season which is always the first Monday after Thanksgiving.

The way our seasons are set up the deer don't get much of a chance to settle down into their normal patterns before the on slot of the calvary(hunters) shows up in the woods for another gun season of some sort.
We have our week long shotgun season(again starting 1st Monday after Thanksgiving) , then two weeks after that we have a two day shotgun, then our bp is beginning of Jan. As you can see, just about the time the deer are settling back down to bow hunt another gun season.
The only time a hunter may get a chance to catch them in their natural pattern would be the last couple weeks of Jan.

tchunter

I use my TC Omega here in the Michigan shotgun season. I love using a bp rifle and hunt in some thick country so a second shot rarely happens anyway. I have had a lot of success with this gun during shotgun season and always have a bit more pride with a successful hunt. Don't plan on going back to a shotgun anytime soon.

jimbob86

A week left on the BP season here ..... might find some time, yet.

If not, I think there's still a 10 day antlerless only in January.

Hawg

You couldn't give me an inline but I do love my Hawken. I took this young doe behind the ear at 65 yards. I don't normally make head shots but it was the only one she would give me.

029.jpg

We have til the end of Jan. but go back to primitive on the 18th.

Yeah, I know my truck is a catchall.:D

BerdanSS

You can say that again.....neighbors @#$& coon dog again:mad::mad::mad:. Froze our rears off again from 6:30 to 9:45 on closing day to see that mangy mutt 150 yards out, running off a Massive 13 pointer and two big does (the three biggest deer myself or my hunting buddy has seen all year) we had been working in all morning. He was so mad he couldn't stop shaking long enough to get a shot on the dog when she made her way back. :mad:

Stopped to watch three big does bedded down maybe 100 feet from the road for about 30 minuets.....laying right under a home made NO TRESPASSING, ABSOLUTELY NO HUNTING sign hanging on the barbed wire fence right in front of them.:(