The Savage Model 219 Single Shot Rifle in .22 Hornet

Hammer It

Hello
I have had a Savage model 219 single shot rifle for awhile now, That is chambered in 30-30 and I wanted to add one in .22 Hornet but they are few and far Between. I came across a nice one last weekend at the show here in K-Town and Picked it up for $250.00. I Plan to shoot it maybe Tomorrow if the weather is nice.. Hammer It

Savage_219_Rifle_left_view.jpg

Savage_Left_view.jpg

Savage_219_left_receiver.jpg

Savage_219_Right_Receiver.jpg

219_Receiver_case_colors.jpg

Weaver_G-6.jpg

farmall

Mighty fine looking rifle, Hammer It. I have one of these in 22 Hornet. Traded a $35 snowblower for it, and it looks the part. It also defys most known accuracy laws. The barrel is pitted in a few places, possibly bent slightly, stock is cracked , and someone made a very crude overtravel stop for the trigger. It hates the 35 Vmax, but will keep 3 40gn Vmaxes inside 3/4" all day.
What is the square piece attached with 3 screws to the left side of the reciever? Mine wears the Weaver G4 with a Litschert scope booster (the real reason I traded for the rifle.....well that and a bit too much beer one night!)
Love the color casehardening on yours.....mine has a nice, rust brown finish, with very little blueing left.
Makes a dandy truck gun, and I'm glad to see someonme else has one, especially one that nice. Would sure like to find a 25-20 barrel for mine.
Andy

Hammer It

Hello Andy
The square piece on the side of The receiver is a Lyman Peep sight base. I took it to the range today and sighted it in using Remington 45 grain Factory loads.The first shot out of it was below the Bulls Eye at the 100 Yard Line. I over corrected and the second shot was just above the Bulls Eye. I saw how Touchy this scope's adjustments were and split the diference to get the last shot in the Bulls Eye. It is trulyaTack Driver. Regards, Hammer It

22HornetTarget.jpg

Closeupof.jpg

very nice looking rifle... I love the Hornet myself ( have several guns ranging from a nice CZ rifle, to a Contender, to a Taurus Raging Hornet )

also very nice old Weaver scope...

that combo would have definately followed me home as well...;)

if anyone collects those, I have a couple I'd likely part with... both very similar to HAMMER's one is also a multi power scope, with the power adjustment under a cap similar to the scopes adjustments on that model

farmall

Yeah, I should have remembered to tell you that about the scope adjustments. I about tore my hair out getting mine dialed in. The adjustments actually shift point of aim in the opposite of the markings on the scope!:confused:
Andy

Doyle

For you guys shooting factory loads, is there anybody that makes affordable soft pt ammo? Remington and Winchester loads are about $35.00 per box.

garryc

Yeah, I should have remembered to tell you that about the scope adjustments. I about tore my hair out getting mine dialed in. The adjustments actually shift point of aim in the opposite of the markings on the scope!
Andy

Alot of old scopes like that. It's saying which way the recticle is moving which is opposite of the group.

Hammer It

For you guys shooting factory loads, is there anybody that makes affordable soft pt ammo? Remington and Winchester loads are about $35.00 per box

Hello Doyle
I Came across some Remington Hollow Point ammo at the last gun show I was at for $25.00 Per 50 so I felt that wasn't bad but I will be reloading for this caliber like all my other center Bore calibers. Regards, Hammer It

Martyn4802

Good find with the 219 in 22 Hornet. Looks to be in great shape.
I bought one of those 219's in Hornet in 1950. It was my first Groundhog rifle, and I used it for years shooting Chucks back home in Pennsylvania. As I remember, the trigger was a hard pull, but the rifle shot well enough to kill Chucks.

Martyn

Hammer It

As I remember, the trigger was a hard pull

Hello Marty
The Trigger is a hard pull on most these but workable if you are so Inclined to make them lighter. I think it is the same trigger as they used in their shotguns. Regards, Hammer It