The Ruger Security Six

SIGSHR

The Ruger Security Six seems to be another gun that has no "cachet" and
is rarely written about but is an excellent value and a keeper. I have a 6"
Stainless I bought back in 1976-paid $125 IIRC. The trigger pull was too heavy for my taste, bought after market springs-Trapper(?)-now it a light
and smooth DA pull that is 100% reliable. Replaced the factory grips with
Pachmayrs, I have always seen a stainless gun and rubber grips as a natural
combo. Accuracy-haven't fired it in years, but I do have a signed and dated target showing a one hole-vertically strung group, using the Old Standby of
a 158gr SWC over 13.5 grains of 2400. Years ago a friend bought a 4" blued
model on my recommendation, he said his was so consistently accurate it was almost boring. Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifle are interesting."
so I told my friend if his was so boring he could seel it to me. He declined.

TNFrank

My brother has a stainless 2.75" fixed sight model and I'm going to try and buy it off of him when I get my tax refund. I think it'd be a sweet little carry gun. The GP-100's are ok but their older Security Six and Police Service Six were easier to pack IMHO.

MikeinLA

One of the nicest range guns I've owned was a 6" Security Six with the adjustable target sights. Very accurate and alot of fun to shoot. I don't think the GP 100 compares, so I recently went for a 686 6".

Mike

ZeSpectre

I LOVE my Security Sixes.

2007_SD400_0847.jpg

The blued one, affectionately called "that beat up old war horse" has God only knows how many rounds through it and a lot of earned holster wear and if I do my part it still shoots groups like this (the trigger is so sweet it'll make ya cry).

0705-2.jpg

The stainless one was an accidental find with some of the ugliest aftermarket grips you've ever seen. I trashed them and put these (maple?) ones on and although it doesn't get much range time it's still very accurate.

071017_Firstset.jpg

any4xx

I've got an older stainless 2 3/4" SPEED Six. Can someone please enlighten me as to the differences betwen this and a Security Six?

joneb

Ruger made the service six which had fixed sights and a square butt grip frame, I came across a 2.75" sec. six in stainless which I've grown to like.
Unlocked 009.jpg

WVfishguy

i forgot what great guns the Security Sixes were until ZeSpectre posted.

I sold my 6 inch stainless Security Six many years ago. Stupid move.

I bought my parents a 4-inch Speed (Service?) Six (fixed sights), did minor trigger work on it, it gives my now-widowed 83-year-old mother a deep sense of security.

The trigger job enables her to actually pull the trigger. And she has no qualms with using it. (Don't mess with little-old-ladies from West Virginia.) :rolleyes:

God, I love Ruger wheelguns.

jrothWA

4" rides..

with me, out in the bush of the Cascades.
Hornady 140gr XTP's & Federals 180gr Hardcast lead (for bear)

Slopemeno

My '80 vintage stainless Security Six has been roundbutted to Speed-Six dimensions and is fitted with Pachmayer Compacs, has the Clark adjustable mainspring strut, a Trapper trigger return spring, and a mondo set of Millet sights I made from a Millet marksman Speed Combo. I got the largest rear blade available, disassembled the sight and disc-sanded it smooth, serrated it 50 lpi, and reblued it. I also made a large post front sight- this sight picture is near-Bomar in effect.

The forcing cone was gone over, and the chambers are lightly chamfered. I use Safariland Comp-II speedloaders also.

Dave85

My brother had a blued Security Six back when we were in college. It was the first .357 Magnum I ever shot. I loved that gun. Every time the "Six's" get mentioned I think about how I should really pick one up...

seeker_two

I had a 2.5" stainless steel version. Great shooter. Ended up trading it for a P-95 that I "absolutely needed"..... :rolleyes:

Boy, I miss that sixgun..... :(

LarryH

I have a 4" stainless Security Six i bought nib in 1978. It's been to Kentucky and back with me. It's been to Mississippi and back with me. I carried it on my hip when i was raising livestock. I carried it while driving tractor. I've carried it while hunting and fishing. I've carried it on the seat of my truck, under the seat, on the dash board and in my jeep while off roading. It's had about a zillion rounds of mostly .357's run through it.

I recently sold off a bunch of guns and the Security Six is one of the two .357's i kept. Someday it'll be passed down to my grandson.

Bboomer

Kinda fond of this one. I passed up a 2 3/4 incher last summer and have regretted it ever since. This one carries well, and is complete with original box, grips etc.. Don't care much for pachmayr's but these are a little different feel and fit.

SecuritySix.jpg

SmokinTom

The Ruger Security Six was indeed a great gun for its time,and if you can find one at a fair price in decent shape it`s still a great gun to own.

KALI

Bhoomer:

I have a security six exactly like yours except for the grips. I love those grips that you have on...how much & where could I get a pair?