The Right Bullets for Shooting Clamation Figures

In the thread on ceramic bullets, Jeff OTG said "Don't know about ceramic bullets, but my primary carry load uses a polymer bullet. See the load information at:
http://www.rbcd.net/"

I checked out the web site and found that RBCD has had a booth at Dallas shows and that I had stopped to watch their video taped presentation last time I went. This is the supposedly perfect ammo for home and personal defense.

In order to show the effectiveness of the .45 RBCD rounds in comparison with Hydrashok 230 gr. .45 ammo, they shot clay blocks which are shown on the web site. As I recall, the guy at the table said the blocks were 8" cubes and weighed about 12 lbs each. The clay was used to simulate the human body. First the shot with the Hydrashok. It put an impressive hole in the block, but the bullet passed through. At that point, the guy at the table said that had this been a person, there would have been over penetration and someone behind him could have been killed or injured. Then the shot with the RBCD ammo and the other clay block fantastically changed shape, but the round supposedly did not over penetrate like with the Hydrashok, but instead was converted into tiny pieces and the energy of the bullet was completely deposited into the clay block. Then, the video was stopped.

The guy went on to say how the RBCD bullets could be used to shoot through auto glass or sheet metal because they won't fragment there, which I find rather amazing.

At this point, I thought the presentation was getting a little too far fetched for me and I made some snide comment that the next time I end up end a gun fight with Pokey and Gumby, I will be sure to have RBCD ammo. The man at the table was not amused.

Zorro

.45 ACP 230 Grain Lead Bullet.

90 years of real world use no major faults found.

Hmm guess I will use the Hydrashoks.

WESHOOT2

Gumby kicked my a$$ once.....

------------------------------------

"all my fantasies are pharmaceutical fantasies"

Mr. Bill is a professional victim; which leads me to believe he is a democrat. Therefore he has it coming.

S&W Man

I don't know about glass, cause it is so easy to break, BUT I want to see someone shoot a frangmentable bullet thru metal WITHOUT it fraging. That would be neat, but rather impossible, I think. I don't know about 8" clayy cubes, but I never heard of a 45 hydrashock going on thru a person. The only calibers I have heard the stories about pass thru with are 44MAG and 10mm. That is why 40S&W is better than 10mm and 44 Special is better that 44Mag for carry. Of course, if the shot placement is wrong even a bb is capable of passing thru.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!

Cowgunner

uh.... i think that i would stick to lead bullets. after all after being the only metal it couldn't be to bad....

variantis

Any comments on the consistency of the clay? Seems to me it would be denser than human tissue unless it was sloppy-soft. Thus wound channel stays compact and resists energy dissipation much UNLIKE the human body.

Why clay and not ballistic gelatin?

Did Gumby spit out the fragments and shoot back?

variantis, I don't know why they used clay and not gelatin. It does produce a dramatic picture, but I don't know what is gained by using clay.

IF clay did simulate the human body, I would say they weren't using enough. I read somewhere that ideally, you want at least 9 inches of penetration. Thus, the clay block was already too small to be representative in my book.

Coltdriver

I saw a picture on a web page of the 9mm version of this ammo shot into ballistic gelatin.

Punched a hole two inches in diameter and five inches deep, fragmented out from there. Deepest piece of the round was about 9 inches.

This was shot through two layers of heavy denim.

If I can find the web page I will post it. It was a pretty convincing picture.