The Revolutionary Generation.. bread and butter

Kaylee

So -- how do you think the big guys would be making a living, were they to live today?

It seems to me, from what I've read, that most of 'em were pretty well to do, and well educated. So, were the old Revolution to go down in a world like today's.. you think you'd see any particular classes/professions more heavily represented?

- Franklin.. writer, publisher... I'm guesing he'd own a networking/web business, and run a Sierra Times, Free Republic, or TFL on the side. Like our beloved Rich. ;)

- Revere was a silversmith, right? That implies a degree of craftsmanship, but with a utilitarian purpose.... hrmm.. architect? jeweler?

- Washington and Jefferson both landholders as I recall.... businessmen of some stripe?

- Knox was a bookseller with a penchant for artillery.. I'm guessing a UNIX consultant/guru, with a stack of Jane's books to rival even Tamara's collection. ;)

any other ideas?

I s'pose this occured to me, just 'cause it seemed many of the gunny folks I knew were also pretty hard-core techies.. and wondering... why the correlation?

-K

Franklin would still be in publishing, I'd bet. But, I'd pick Franklin to be the Bill Gates of his group.

Jefferson was an attorney and architect as well as a farmer. However, given his inability to keep money, he'd likely be bankrupt.

Washington would likely be a farmer, although he was trained as a surveyor. Who knows, with the land that he held, and based on his surveying, he may have decided to subdivide his 8,000 acres into 1/8th acre plots, sell them for $150,000 K each for the lot, and retire a VERY rich man.

Adams and Hamilton would be attorneys, but Hamilton would be corporation counsel for some very big companies, I'm thinking Enron and Anderson...

Samuel Adams would be in jail.

Henry Knox was a big man. I'd think he'd be a Richard Simmons type character... "Shake those cannon balls, boys!"

John Hancock would likely be running the insurance company that bears his name. :)

HKguy9

Hmm...probably webmasters and IT geeks and whatnot!! They'd also be playing with watches, airplanes and guitars.

Malone LaVeigh

I'm pretty sure Tom Paine would have been an organizer for the Yippees. Now he'd probably be giving seminars in tree-sitting and road blocking for Earth First!

UnknownSailor

I think that if they were suddely yanked out of their era, and landed in ours, they would almost to a man be either in federal prison or dead, after they learned all that has transpired since their times. Their reaction to all the events of the past 100 years or so would be interesting to watch, I'm sure. I don't think any Federal bureauocrat would be safe from them.