The Quest Continues: Shield 9mm Holster

rjinga

Here are the specs: IWB; zero cant; 3:00 position; high(er) ride for a full combat grip.

My current holster, a Stealthgear Revolution AIWB, would be perfect if the ride was about 1/2" higher. Here it is positioned on my belt where I would like the grip to be:
cVSrHsq.jpg

Holster suggestions?

Mackie244Bud

Boy that's a loaded question...
There are a LOT of Shields out here.
So, you should get a lot of options.

I wear my Shield in a Aegis Armory "Hybrid" holster.
http://aegisarmory.us/shop/hybrids/the-shield-hybrid-holster/
Like the website says it was comfortable for me from day one.
A fellow worker wears his Shield in the same holster and is who turned me on to it.
It does have a cant to it.
The hybrid part is that it can be worn IWB or remove the clips and wear it OWB with the belt going through it.
Upon request they may change it to your preferences.

I have a Vedder IWB ComfortTuck "Combat Cut" holster for my P320 that I also like a lot.
Vedder has some holsters with no cant or adjustable cant.

Good luck with your search and ultimate decision...
There are a lot of Great Holsters out there!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited:

roadrash

There are about a hundred different hybrid holster makers that can provide you with something that fits your criteria.
If you ask me a combination of the Shields short barrel,zero cant,and high ride sounds like it could lead to stability issues.
Why not use a little cant if you are carrying strong Side?It conceals better and allows a better draw.

Big4Freedom

After Stoner, Crossbreed, and others, I’ve settled firmly into single clip Vedder Light holsters. Can adjust cant and depth with two screws and done. I like mine deeply seated so,not sure how high the can be set up but I think quite a bit. They arrive in riding much higher than I like. I’ve purchased several and have used since they came out. I have shield .45 and one for shield 40/9mm. Also for ruger lc9s pro and lcp.

scsov509

I went through several different holsters for my Shield before settling on the G-Code Incog. If you like the one you have and just want a little more adjustability, then judging by your picture you'd probably love the Incog.

rjinga

All I really needed was an extra 1/2". So, after looking around on the "interweb" last night and this morning for different clips, backers, and even holsters, I decided to try and modify my existing holster.

I took a wide single clip off of an old holster that I didn't use anymore (and had forgotten that I had), and cut off the mounting section. It was the right length and thickness, and already had two of the four holes that I would need. I drilled two more holes, and then cut it into two pieces to use as extensions.

The lower you can attach the upper holes of the clips, the higher the holster will ride. So, I attached one end of the extension (brackets) onto the lowest mounting spot on the holster (bottom arrow). Then I attached the clip, using the upper hole, to the other end of the extension (top arrow).
7UIyKCG.jpg

That gave me the 1/2" I needed for my middle finger to not rub against the belt, the pants, or the clip itself.
ybDhduS.jpg

(before and after comparison)

My $4.95 Stealthgear Revolution has moved back to the front of the holster pack again. Well, for now anyway.

rjinga

Well, after wearing the modified Stealthgear yesterday, I'm going to give my Vedder LightTuck another try. My modification gave me the ride height that I wanted, but it also caused the grip to rotate away from my body slightly. It's still concealable, but not as much as the Vedder. And, that rotation, along with moving the center of gravity up 1/2" makes it feel like the gun is flopping around as I move.

In a compromise between my 57 yo shoulder's mobility, and my desire for a full combat grip, I have the cant set at approximately 12-13 degrees:
LibbMsN.jpg

cw308

Looks like your using a 9 o'clock position . I'm right handed the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 rough side out smooth side in IWB holster15 degree can't , uses two one way belt snaps. Any waist carry should be with a good EDC belt. If your going appendix carry zero can't holster , those plastic holsters are good but I like a good molded leather holster no retention strap . I'm sure you'll wind up with a box of holsters like the rest of us . Hope I helped in some way , Good Luck .

Chris

KyJim

I know it doesn't fit the OP's specs, but I agree with cw308. The Milt Sparks Summer Special II is my favorite holster when carrying a 1911. I like the cant better than a straight drop because it's a more natural pull for me but YMMV.