The Price of Tin

reinert

Hello bullet casting forum folks,

I've been making my own B.P.C.R. alloy of 20:1 for quite a spell, and haven't had to purchase tin for a few years. Last time I bought it, I believe it was about 7 bucks a pound. Generally, it's more than twice that now... I see there's an offering on ebay from Hallmark metals for a bar that weighs between 6 and 7 pounds for 92 bucks and free shipping. Anyone out there used this tin for bullets? Seems like a fair enough deal and they claim it's 99.8% pure. Looks like they've sold quite a bit of it, so I'm kind of interested. Any comments would be appreciated on the product. Should come out to just under 14 bucks a pound delivered.

Thanks for any info,

reinert

hartcreek

I have been using tin in my bullets to make them harder for twenty some years. I just look for it a thrift shops as a little goes a long way.

snuffy

A good source for tin is lead free solder. But it's expensive, more than getting it from roto metals. Make sure it is 95% tin and 5% either silver or antimony.

Tin adds very little hardness to pure lead. 5% tin in pure lead is only about 10 BHN, an increase of only 4 BHN. Antimony is the stuff that makes lead hard, but tin makes the old fill out better, and makes the lead melt at a lower temp.

reinert

When my tin supply gets low, which it has, I usually try to purchase at least 5-6 pounds from the same source if I can, just to stay consistent with my "homemade" 20:1 alloy. My lead supply is still standing in good shape, and it's all good plumbers lead from a source and quantity I got many years ago; all the same consistent stuff.

Shoot, I'm like most everyone else, I'll try to shop for a good price on materials until I make a decision to purchase, thus, the wonderment on the tin offered on ebay from Hallmark metals. Looks like a good deal, so I think I might just give it a try. Just wondering if any bullet casters out there have used the Hallmark brand of tin.

Good shooting to all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

reinert

I don't buy pure tin ingots because its more pricier than Pewter figurines that are usually 92% tin or better. Last pewter I purchased was 8-($) a lb. Bought 5-lbs shipped to my door $40.00. My advice: Buy soon as tin prices are unpredictable.

reinert

SSM,

You're right about the price of metals; fluctuations are the norm. Tin's down some now, that's why I've been shopping... and I'll need some tin before the end of the B.P.C.R. shooting season coming up next spring for my alloy.

I guess I follow the big bullet casting regimen of the buffalo gun crowd; pure tin with pure lead for casting those big 540 grain, long range slugs. Pure's elusive (old Ivory Soap's close), but one can get close enough by shopping a bit. I also like the term with an offering for sale, "FREE SHIPPING." As most everyone knows, "There's no such thing as a free lunch," but it sure sounds good. "Too good to be true" is also one to be wary of when shopping, eh?

Enough rambling here, I think I'm going for the Hallmark stuff. It looks like a deal "too good to be true," and it's FREE SHIPPING to boot! Ha!

Thanks for the comments, Happy Turkey Day, too!

reinert

iraiam

Yes, I have been paying $15/lb. for pure tin locally at a non-ferrous metal house, actually less, as every time I buy there I seem to get a little more weight than I requested:D

I also hunt pewter at thrift shops and yard sales with quite a bit of success, currently I have about 12 pounds that cost me about $5/lb.

I use the pure tin for HP alloys, and the pewter gets mixed with pure lead/lino to make a very close Lyman #2 clone.