The Pocket Berettas

David the Gnome

I have always had a fascination with pocket guns, especially the Berettas. Beretta is one of the few manufacturers who still includes micro-pocket guns in their lineup and has for many years. There's something about them which is quintessentially Italian. They aren't especially powerful and one could easily argue they are much too thick for a light-caliber single-stack, but that doesn't take away from their charm. I've wanted one for a long time but there was always something else a little more useful I purchased instead.

While I was in the shop yesterday picking up my new Springfield 1911, I saw this pristine looking 21A in the used counter. I asked to see it and was shocked at how little-used the gun appeared to be. It still looked brand new and the price was excellent. I decided to have them hold it for me until next week since I was already picking up the 1911 but when I told the misses about it last night she expressed interest (something rare for her whenever guns are concerned). I decided today to surprise her with it.

She seems to really like it and I plan on taking her to the range with it soon so she can try it out. Hopefully this will be the gun that finally gets her to pick up her CCW license.

beretta21a01.jpg

HammerBite

That's a nice little gun. I have a similar Beretta 20 which I like because it is the only small .25 I've seen which I can get a good grip on. I can grip the Colt Vest Pocket and the Baby Browning with a finger-and-a-half at best. The Beretta feels much more secure in my hand, and my wife thinks it's cute.

KyJim

Nice looking pistol! The Beretta 950 was the first small gun I ever owned. When I bought it, my other handgun was a SW Model 27 revolver. I don't have a picture of the 950 by itself, so here is a group pic of my mouse guns:

MouseGun_Group_DSCN1475.jpg

Ben

There's nothing wrong with liking Beretta's little ones. I like them too. If you like the bobcat, you would love the jetfire. What caliber is yours? .22 or .25?
I will be getting a tomcat eventually.
Ben

Tom2

If you look real close at the picture you can see .22LR so at least he will not go broke shooting the heck out of it. But keep it clean to keep it going.

Trigger Finger

I like my Model 950. I much prefer the .25 acp. Better ammo selection, more reliable and with a 2 to 2 1/2 inch barrel I think it is at least as powerful as a 22. I carry it occasionally as a backup to my CCW and my wife likes it better than her 38 spl.

ghalleen

Beretta Tomcat

I have a Beretta Tomcat 3032 in .32acp. It's a nice little gun. Very happy with it when I just need something tiny enough to slip into a pocket.

Reliability out of the box was lacking, and it definitely needed a couple hundred rounds to achieve reliable feeding. Since then, it's been 100%.

2cooltoolz

One of my favorite mouse guns! I sold mine to buy a Seecamp .32. Still have the Seecamp, but I wish I had kept my little Bobcat.
Hmmm :rolleyes:

My Inox Bobcat 21A 22lr

attachment.php

Attachments

• BERETTA PICS 006.jpg
    BERETTA PICS 006.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 992

Chesster

I like the Beretta 950, B, BS, US made, Italian made, Brazilian made, .25 chambered, 6.35mm chambered, you get the drift. The 20 and 21A are both good DA pocket guns but are a good bit more bulky than the old SA 950. With the 21A, I get the feeling I should be shooting a 32 or 380, not a .22/.25.

Superhouse 15

I have one of each of the small Berettas, 950s in short and .25acp, model 21s, A couple Tomcats. All I'm missing is the long barrel 950, and I'm looking for one of those.

Rastus

I like the Beretta mini-pistols. Years ago, I had a model 21 that was made in Italy, the .22 LR version. The finish on that little weapon was outstanding -- very shiny and well done, not the matte finish on current production. Never malfunctioned once and I shot it a lot! It was also accurate at 21 feet.

I sold it for some stupid reason. I regret _most_ of my gun sales and I miss that little pipsqueak!

Today, I have a model 21A in the matte finish, chambered for the .25 ACP. It's reliable but shoots high-left, even at 7 yards. Still, it's a nice little weapon that I almost NEVER carry. It's pretty beat up because I've treated it like a tool but it hasn't been abused. I also own a 950 that I inherited from my Dad. It's still unfired and new in the box and will remain that way. I view it as an heirloom. Here in SC you can't buy the "pot metal" pistols so, if you want a .25, there aren't many choices since the law pretty much forces you to buy a well made pistol! :)

My wife gave me a .32 Tomcat as a wedding present when the Tomcat was still new on the market. My Tomcat is a lemon -- unreliable to the point of being useless. However, my wife doesn't know that and I'm keeping the pistol because it was a wedding gift and has sentimental value. She thinks I love it. One day I might try to get it fixed but it's such a clunker that it's hard to justify the time and effort. Besides, the warranty has expired!

I'm not an advocte of the .25 ACP but don't consider a quality pistol in that caliber worthless. I'm keeping my Beretta mouseguns!

Robert: the Newbie from SC

oneounceload

I have one just like yours - it can be finicky about ammo though - definitely easy to shoot and a lot of fun. Also easy to take down and clean.....

AK103K

I had two of the 21A's in .22. They really are not all that "small", and they are a lot fatter than some of the others. I could never get away with carrying one in my pocket.

Both of mine were fairly reliable with Stingers when they were clean. They get very finicky quickly as they get dirty. Mine liked the hotter ammo better than the standard HV .22's.

The tip up barrel is a cool feature, and its one of the few guns of its type I'd trust to carry loaded (round in the chamber). If I were to get another, I'd skip the .22, and get it in .25acp.

Rastus

"Rastus
The Italian .22 model 21 was never imported from Italy!"

Bill, I have no reason to question what you say. The pistol I had was a Beretta and chambered for .22 LR. The stocks were made of wood, not plastic, and the finish was a highly polished blue (black). This was sometime back in the 80's and I don't believe there was a Beretta facility in Maryland yet, though I could be wrong about that. I remember thinking that the pistol was indeed made it Italy, though here again I could be mistaken. I'm honestly confused by your information. Whatever the case, the pistol was much "prettier" than the guns now being produced. It was really a great looking little .22.

Thanks for correcting me. I'm confused and scratching my head, but if I was wrong I was wrong.

Regards,
Robert the Newbie

amd6547

My personal 21a in 25acp is also polished blue with wood grips, it was made in Maryland. My favorite low-profile carry piece and back-up. I have had one of the newer rough-finished 22lr's, but I prefer the 25acp for carry.

Bill DeShivs

Rastus
Beretta opened their facility in the US in the 1970s. The early 21s were finished nicer than the current models, and had wood grips. I'm sure your gun was US made.

Kreyzhorse

Congrats. My buddy has a stainless Tomcat .32acp. Great little pocket gun. Very well made and 100% reliable and a ton of fun to shoot.