The Perfect Fighting Revolver

Mr.RevolverGuy

This is a follow up to my previous thread and pictures posted here
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586323

There will be more close up pictures to follow.
I hope this answers the questions from the previous thread.

This revolver started out as a 4inch revolver. I decided to send it off to Throne Arms for a little tender love and care to turn it into The Perfect Fighting Revolver.

My design Mr. Throne's work
Reduce barrel length 4inch to 3inch
Recrown Barrel
Slab side barrel
Replace Cylinder Stop
Action Job reduced from 12pounds to 8pounds
Hammer bobbed
Front night sight :Kensight Front Night Sight 1911 Novak Cut Flat Base .115" Width Steel Black with Green Tritium Dot
Smith & Wesson Factory Grips S&W K, L-Frame Square Butt Checkered Dymondwood

Have received a lot of questions already asking why didn't I have it converted to a round butt frame while I was at it. The square butt fits my hand better -- Hey what can I say I like a big butt :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPw6bs9DVY

Last edited:

TruthTellers

Nah, that's far from "perfect" for a fighting revolver. No, a Ruger LCRx in .327 with a 3 inch, maybe even a 4 inch barrel would be the quintessence of a fighting revolver. Small size, low weight, low recoil, smooth trigger, adjustable sights for optimum POA/POI at a certain distance, and I think the front sight is removable like other revolvers Ruger makes.

I don't even want to delve deeper into the cartridges.

Sorry to say man, but no. Nice gun you're gonna be having, but the "Perfect Fighting Revolver" is pretty far from the truth, and I gotta tell the Truth.

mk70ss

Yeah....I'll take the above described MrRevolverGuys gun as a fighting gun any day over the Ruger. I love Rugers and own many. But in a gun fight, the Ruger is not what I want.

I cant wait to see pics of your finished gun, sounds great.

Truth Teller always sounds condescending. There is a way to voice opinions without insinuating everyone else is wrong.

45_auto

The "Perfect Fighting Revolver" was perfected over 60 years ago. Why try to reinvent the wheel? They even named it "Combat Magnum" for you.

truthtellers said:
No, a Ruger LCRx in .327 with a 3 inch, maybe even a 4 inch barrel would be the quintessence of a fighting revolver.

Sorry, unless you're willing to document your extensive gunfighting experience, I'll take Bill Jordan's version of the perfect fighting revolver:

Retired Assistant Chief Patrol Inspector of the U.S. Border Patrol, famous gunfighter, and noted firearms and shooting skills writer Bill Jordan consulted with Smith & Wesson on the design and characteristics of the Model 19. Jordan's idea for a "peace officer's dream" sidearm was a heavy-barreled four-inch K-Frame .357 Magnum with a shrouded barrel like the big N-frame .357 and adjustable sights. After a year of experimentation with improved-strength steels and special heat-treating processes, the result was the .357 Combat Magnum (later designated Model 19), with the first serial-number gun (K260,000) presented to Jordan on November 15, 1955.

Trooper Joe

2nd post on this great revolver.

Absolutely fantastic.

If I had a gun like this when I was a State Police Detective, I probably would never had retired.

I am really sick of plastic guns and am getting back into revolvers (S&W and Colts).

If you ever want to part with this gun, let me know. I'll get a home equity loan and we will be good to go. :eek:

Great work and thanks for sharing this with us,

Trooper Joe,

[My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.]:confused:

amd6547

I have two "perfect fighting revolvers"...perfect for my needs, anyway.
First is a 4" Combat Masterpiece Model 15-3. This is the revolver that really got me into revolver, even though I had owned several before. Bought it for $175 during the big revolver sell offs. It has everything I need in a fighting revolver, as it's name suggests. I've even ccw'd it.

Second is a recent production GP100 3" 357 with fixed sights that shoot to POA. With this revolver and 158gn magnum ammo, if I can see something out to 100yds, I can hit it. I wouldn't change a thing on it, after adding compact Lett grips.

I would never presume to suggest I know what is "perfect" for another, but these two do it for me.

SaxonPig

Only thing I would balk at is the barrel cut. One inch make that much difference? Not enough gain for the cost in my book but it's your gun and your money.

Stocks look square. Would feel very uncomfortable to me. For a combat revolver I might be tempted to go with a compact rubber design. Ugly and I hate ribber grips but they do work well for serious shooting. Reason cops used them so much. But again not meant to please me.

Mr.RevolverGuy

I have two "perfect fighting revolvers"...perfect for my needs, anyway.
First is a 4" Combat Masterpiece Model 15-3. This is the revolver that really got me into revolver, even though I had owned several before. Bought it for $175 during the big revolver sell offs. It has everything I need in a fighting revolver, as it's name suggests. I've even ccw'd it.

Second is a recent production GP100 3" 357 with fixed sights that shoot to POA. With this revolver and 158gn magnum ammo, if I can see something out to 100yds, I can hit it. I wouldn't change a thing on it, after adding compact Lett grips.

I would never presume to suggest I know what is "perfect" for another, but these two do it for me.

You got it amd you picked up on it, you are absolutely right perfect highly subjective but this one does it for me.

Mr.RevolverGuy

Stocks look square. Would feel very uncomfortable to me. For a combat revolver I might be tempted to go with a compact rubber design. Ugly and I hate ribber grips but they do work well for serious shooting. Reason cops used them so much. But again not meant to please me.

Yeap stocks are square but for some reason very comfortable to me. I agree with the rubber and I gave it about a 2sec thought and just couldn't do it :)

mikejonestkd

That's a nice revolver, thanks for sharing pics and the work that you had done to it.
IMO the Stainless 64-67 series Smiths are about as good as you could ask for when choosing a duty revolver.
I have a pair of slicked up 66 and 67 4" revolvers and they are a joy to shoot.

Real Gun

We know what you think is the perfect fighting revolver, so this thread should be more about what WE think is the perfect fighting revolver, at least the best we have or the one we want to own someday.

My criteria would be as follows:
  • Manageable recoil
  • Report without excessive noise and concussion
  • Maneuverable barrel length
  • Double action capability
  • At least 6 shots
  • Capable of velocity sufficient for bullet expansion
  • Heavy enough to use as a club

Here's my best effort, a Ruger GP100 3" 38 Special converted to 6 shots of 41 Special, the gun that never was:
WP_20160427_001.jpg

amd6547

As far as square K-frame grips go, I much prefer the square grip small Magna grips with a Tyler T-grip. Great for carry and great for shooting.
When I do carry my Model 15 concealed, I have a set of Uncle Mikes rubber boot grips that give an excellent grip while being as small as possible.

Deja vu

I think the "perfect fighting revolver" is different for every on. For me it would be one of the 8 shot S&W 357 magnums. Peferably with a longer barrel 6+inches". For CCW id take the same gun but in a 1.5-3 inch barrel.

It looks like a fun gun you have!