The perfect 1911

XD45ACP

Im looking into buying a new 1911. i had a kimber bp ten but i wanted a more traditional 1911. plus it had feeding problems.and it would sink the slug in the casing. it was acurate as hell though. i want a all steel frame and slide. no aluminum frames. i would like to have it reliable rather than acurate. because whats acuracy without reliability. i was thinking about taurus model 1911 but they are hard to find. can anyone help???

ITEOTWAWKI

I've been a pretty happy owner of springfields but I've seen some colt series 70's and 80's lately, all reasonably priced. That may be what you're looking for. Unless of course money is no object, then go Wilson Combat.

stephen426

If you are looking for the "perfect 1911", be prepared to shell out some serious coin. Some excellent 1911 makers include Les Baer,Wilson Combat and Springfield Armory's high end stuff such as their Trophy Match. I have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that was hard chromed. It was designed in conjunction with Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch, hence the name.

from the Les Baer website said:
The new Les Baer CustomThunder Ranch 1911 is a serious, no-nonsense self-defense pistol conceived by Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch, one of the premier training facilities dedicated to teaching people how to survive in a tough, unfriendly world. Clint Smith cares about good guns and he's concerned that his students are equipped with reliable, accurate guns they might one day have to trust with their lives. That's why Clint Smith approached Les Baer about developing a dependable, combat-proven 1911 with which he and his students could feel completely confident. So, Clint Smith specified the features he wanted and Les Baer built it. The result is a distinctive yet practical 1911 that's ideal for personal defense and a source of price for the owner. Features include:

My personal experience is that this is one hell of a pistol. Reliability has been excellent (maybe one failure to go completely into battery when dropping the slide stop) and the gun is amazingly accurate. The trigger is light and crisp with almost no creep or over travel. The accuracy is phenominal and is gauranteed to shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Personally, I believe that most of their guns are capable of better than that. For a combat weapon, this is fully capable of being used as a target gun. Mine was already chrome plated when I bought it second hand. I'll bet you someone is kicking themselves over the sale of that gun. Pricing is not cheap though at $1750. There is usually a long wait time before delivery too. Good things come to those who wait (unless you find a steal like I did at the gun show $1350 already hard chromed).

Good luck!

Last edited:

stephen426

If you are really looking to buy one soon, check out these links from gunbroker...

Les Baer TR Special

Les Baer Concept V

Les Baer Premier II

I looked up Wilson Combat on Gun Broker as well, but most have reserves that are not met. I have very limited experience with Wilson Combat but they have an excellent reputation. Les Baer guns are so good though, that I can't really see how any minor improvements Wilson guns may have have over them (if any at all) can justify the price difference. If I had the money, I would jump on the Concept V in a heart beat. You are getting brand new custom pistol in stainless steel for $230 off MSRP and no waiting. You had better buy it before I get tempted and buy it myself.

Magyar

I guess I just "don't get it", Kimber gets a free pass again.....
I'm not sure which is worse, the apologetics or the mutes....:rolleyes:

springmom

For me, the Kimber Ultra Carry II is perfect. Never a failure, dead accurate, easy to carry. What's not to love?

Springmom

joecad

my mil-spec has been flawless...however niot everyones idea of a carry weapon....i like springfields so that is where i would look

heck333

I just purchased a Kimber Custom II and put 350 rounds through it on Sunday... a mix of ball and JHP... and had no FTF/FTE. 100% reliable out of the box so far...

Greg

Rightwinger

To go way out on a limb...

Buy a Caspian Frame and Slide, and have one built for you, if you want something truely amazing! That's a project you can show off to the neighbors.

Duxman

+1 another one for the Les Bauer guns.

I spoke to several 1911 enthusiasts in the last IPSC shoot, and their guns never chocked. Meanwhile a Kimber Carry II (I believe) had several jams.

Personally I prefer a double stack gun - Para P16.40 but its not in your parameters.

XD45ACP

i dont want to spent to much. maybe 1100 at the most. i was thinking about making my own. does the caspian frames come custom fitted. the owner of the shop in my town keeps on recomending rock island. but i was thinking about wilson or caspian.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If I had $1100 to spend on a 1911, based on my experiences, I would probably shop for a fairly new Colt 1991A1 or Springfield "NM" MilSpec and turn it over to the 'smiths at work for sights, C&S lockwork, a beavertail, and coating.

If I had to buy new and "off-the-rack" at that price point, I'd personally probably go with a SIG GSR, Springfield Loaded, or (now that they've gone back to internal extractors) give a Kimber TLE a chance.

Again, this is based only on my experiences...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1911s11703.jpg
    1911s11703.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 514
  • 1911s81204.jpg
    1911s81204.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 505