The One You Never Knew You Wanted

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
So, I ran across a Colt Government, Stainless in .38Super at a local shop the other day.

Exactly like this one, except I think the trigger is different.

I have no need for it at all. Didn't want one, until I saw that one... then I drooled on the counter.

I haven't asked to touch it yet. Too much temptation.

They only want $869

Why do they do this to me?:D

Strafer Gott

I went with a lightweight commander. The .38 Super has authority. I didn't realize how much I wanted one until I shot it. If there is a "9mm for grownups", this is a candidate. If I were in your neck of the woods, I'd probably jump shoot groundhogs with it.

Jim243

Why do they do this to me?

They knew you were coming, LOL. I just wear dark glasses and stay away from the gun counter, but it doesn't always work. (see below) You were right to not put it in your hand, then it would have been all over. (LOL)

Jim

This was suppose to be a 4 inch Tracker in 357 not a 3 inch 38 Spl, I even left the store but had to turn around and come back.

I put this one in my hand while shopping for gun powder and it was all over except for the sales tax. (LOL)

Never ever put a CZ in your hand or your money will disappear like magic.

Last edited:

JimmyR

Jim243 said:
Never ever put a CZ in your hand or your money will disappear like magic.

Truer words were ne'er spoken, although the polymer ones don't have the same allure...

That said, I felt the same way about the Walther P99 until I put my hand on it. It started out with positive reviews. Then I handled one, and after I cleared the sounds of angel's harps and the smell of ambrosia, I decided I liked it.

And no, I never exaggerate...

Last edited:

rt11002003

I had the same response recently to a H&K p30s. They were being promoted at a good discount. Held one, shook and left the store. Came back the next day and bought it. It's now one of my home defense guns; moved my Kahr to carry status.

Boomer58cal

yep she's beautiful.

I grew up on the revolver and always figured I never really needed a semi auto. Then one day I grabbed a hold of a Ruger SR9 and I just had to have it.

BingoFuel

You are right about P30's. I have a number of H&K's - P7's and USP's purchased at least 10-20 years ago. But met up with a friend recently at the range and he offered me his P30. I had heard about it's middling size and perfect grip and they were all correct.
One magazine and I knew I was missing one. Just wrote the check today. Pricey little bugger.
And sitting near it at my FFL was a P2000SK. Dang!
B

I had the same response recently to a H&K p30s. They were being promoted at a good discount. Held one, shook and left the store. Came back the next day and bought it. It's now one of my home defense guns; moved my Kahr to carry status.

Joe_Pike

I ran across a 1949 Colt in .38 Super about four years ago. It had the most beautiful glossy blue slide and only $829. Unfortunately, they also had a 1974 Series 70 in .45 acp that also had a beautiful glossy blue slide for $679. I really wanted the .45, so, that's the one I picked up. I went back several times to visit the .38 Super but I just didn't have the money to pick it up. It sat there for three weeks taunting me until the day I watched another customer buy it. It still haunts me to this day.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It's close to .357sig in modern guns, loaded to +p. Not quite, but close.

That's actually one reason I won't buy the gun. I already have a 357sig.

If it was 10mm, it'd be home with me now.

kcub

In Corbon they are identical.

I wasn't looking for a CZ 75B in polished stainless but I've got one in my trunk as of lunch.

RickB

Exactly like this one, except I think the trigger is different.

I have that gun. A buddy called me from the floor of SHOT Show, when Colt introduced it in . . . 2003? I got it a month or two later (I think I paid $675?).
I shoot in in IDPA, or I'd have no "need" for it, at all. :)

aarondhgraham

Hello Brian,,,

Holy Threadjack Batman! :eek:

From .38 Super 1911 to Taurus revolvers & CZ semi's in only three posts.

You do realize we are all nothing but "Mutual Enablers",,,
Our answer will invariably be "Buy the gun!".

Dang but I love being free,,,
With other people's money.

I know nothing about the .38 Super cartridge,,,
Can you get new factory ammo for it,,,
Or is a reloading only Thing?

Aarond

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Lust lets you know you are still alive Peetza.

Great! Thanks. ;)

To the previous question, there's still .38Super ammo available but I load all my own ammo anyway so I don't care, or wouldn't if I were going to buy it.

Sure would love a 10mm version.

A friend of mine has a friend who has an nearly new (possibly unfired) SW 1006. :eek: I keep asking if he wants to sell it... but no.

The difference is I know I want that one. ;)

Nick_C_S

Kinda reminds me of the time 'bout a year-n-a-half ago when I saw a 686+ 3"bbl in the LGS case. I asked to take a look at it - for no particular reason other than to pass some time.

Yeah, as soon as that baby touched my hands, I knew I was done for. I had the sales associate start the paperwork within 10 seconds.

Great piece. No regrets.

Hunter0924

I have a stainless Colt 1991 in Super .38 and it is truly a fine pistol but if you don't reload for the Super the factory rounds are the same as the 38 Auto, a bit anemic.
The Super .38 is based on the .38 Auto and they are the exact same dimensions so maybe factories are playing it safe for the older pistols in .38 Auto.