The one we let go....

SRE

Ok guys... a general question to the "smithy's" that is often a topic of myself and my buddy's at my trap club.

What is the gun you let go in your life that you think about all the time? You know the one you wished you had back. Every day. And what did you trade it for?

Mine is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet. I traded this fine rifle for a Colt Python 4" Blued made in 1964. Box and paperwork included. Love this pistol, but I wish I had the Winchester back.

Jim Watson

Remington 40X rimfire SPORTER.
Traded for a .44 magnum.
Haven't fired a magnum in years but a good .22 is a permanent joy.

I may be the unusual one here but I have never traded, or sold, a single gun I have purchased in 37 years.

The rifle I wish I would have bought but didn't was a Romanian Dragunov rifle. I kept going back and handling it telling myself what the heck do I need that for. Finally I went back one day and it was gone. I think about that rifle every single time I walk in that gun store.

Last edited:

Woodslab

Desert eagle

Years ago, I saw two desert eagles a 357 and a 44 mag. Sale price $600 each at a store that was going out of business. At the time I had money for both and decided to use the money elsewhere.

I thought about them many times. But now I have a coonan 357 and the thought of the DEs stopped.

AK103K

I got rid of a 20ga. SKB O/U, sold to pay for a brand new HK P7M13, a whopping $450 at the time. My wife have me constant grief over that, as it was her favorite gun to shoot.

I also got rid of a 4" S&W Model 28 I bought right out of high school, to fund a Savage 110S silhouette rifle I just had to have at the moment.

I found a replacement for the SKB about 10 years ago, and replaced the 28 last year, with a near NIB gun I found in a local shop. Didnt get to beat up on the prices either. :)

condor bravo

For me it would be a S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman with adjustable sights and 6" barrel that I had bought from a pawn shop in Reno for 35 dollars. That is the .38 Special on the large N frame. For some reason I didn't think the .38 was appropriate on an N frame and traded it in later on a Remington 700 rifle. However this 700 and about 69 more eventually became my Model 700 collection.

FrankenMauser

Plain, simple, well-worn Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, 7.5".

I very much regretted getting rid of it.
Luckily, it found its way back to me ...and Ruger completely rebuilt and refinished it a little under 2 years ago. Now it's a brand-new 20+ year old revolver that has already been worn out once in its life.

zach_

I had to sell an old pistol that I bought when I was 16 or 17. Mom wouldn't allow me to keep it. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have hid it. She probably would have found it, like everything else that I hid in the house. Another one was a shotgun that I bought at about the same time. Mom was OK with the shotgun. The shotgun really didn't belong to the person that sold it to me. I lost big on that one.

ballardw

Winchester 94 come closest the topic. I had to raise some money to pay income tax because my wife wasn't having enough withheld.

geetarman

There are three for me.

Browning Sweet 16 that I bought at Sears for $127 bucks and sold it to a friend.

Browning HP that I bought for $100 from a guy at work.

Colt Sport Woodsman that I bought when I was in the Navy. I might have paid $75 for it.

I bought the shotgun and the Woodsman new and the HP was like new.

aarondhgraham

It was a 30-40 Krag Jorgenson rifle.

My genetic father was killed in a truck accident when I was just an infant.

We didn't know that his older brother had borrowed his Krag to go deer hunting,,,
He returned the rifle to me when I was about 14-15 years old.

In the early 80's I gave it to my sisters son,,,
He is the youngest living descendant of my father,,,
He is a deer hunter and I thought he would use it at least once.

Turns out he bought a case for it the day I gave it to him,,,
As far as I know the rifle hasn't seen daylight since.

It had been Bubba'd a bit with the stock chopped and Schnabeled,,,
The front sight had been replaced with a truly ugly brass ramp,,,
But the rifle functioned perfectly and was reasonably accurate.

I took a lot of rats, skunks, and possums at the old county dump.

I wish I had the rifle now solely because it's going to go to waste,,,
I've considered asking my nephew if I could have it back.

He would probably return it to me but that would be bad form,,,
But if I could get my hands on it I would have it rebuilt.

I would have that ugly brass sight replaced with something a bit sleeker,,,
Buy a Boyd's stock and trick it out with a nice finish,,,
Then try and take one more deer with it,,,
Or maybe just a skunk or two.

Oh well,,,
It'll never happen,,,
I just hate to see it being ignored.

Aarond

Skans

I've sold or traded about 8 guns over my life. Out of the 8, there's only one that I sort of would like to have for sentimental reasons, it was my first handgun. The rest - I don't miss any of them at all.

Machineguntony

Prior to going back to grad school, I sold all 40 of my guns to help finance school. I missed them terribly over the years, and now that I am back in the hobby, I really miss the Colt snake guns that I sold. My jaw dropped to the floor, when about a year ago, I saw what my beautiful snake guns are now worth. It kind of makes me sick actually, because at one time the snake guns were relatively common (uncommon was the Grizzly, which is really just a limited edition King Cobra, so I consider the Grizzly a snake gun, too). In the end though, the decision to sell and finance school was the best decision I ever made.

I also had a Benelli convertible - semi auto and pump - that was imported by H&K and had an H&K stamp on it (I am like 99% certain it was HK but I've had people tell me that HK never imported Benelli, but I swear it had an HK stamp on it, indicating that HK imported it). I really miss that one too. It came with a factory full length magazine. I wish I could find that one.

Husqvarna

I was offered a mannlicher stocked LH SAKO in 6,5x55 for a pitence really

but I had a 308 already and was in the market for something bigger and let it pass.

still grieves me to this day, one of the prettiest rifles I have seen

Also a nice o/u rifle combo pack, a semi-local store had a clearance sale and a really nice italian rifle with three barrel sets, 20/70 and 20/70 a doublerifle pipeset 7x57 and 7x57 and a combo 20/70 and 7x57
for buy in price:eek:

but I didn't handload and didn't get the idea of a 20/70

I am kicking myself now, I really do want a combo gun now and I have been hunting in the highlands/mountains for ptarmigans and a 20 gauge would have been perfect, 7x57 would have been fine for pigs on a driven hunt to

licesing times really screws with businesses here, on the other hand it protects the buyers from impulse buys but still

wogpotter

My original Rifle No4 Mk1 (T) that I bought from the service when I left.

Sadly, I didn't sell or trade it it had to be surrendered as I left the country rather abruptly & couldn't get it transferred legally in time.:(

Crankylove

I've sold 1 (H&R singleshot .410), given away 1 (Browning Buckmark), and traded 2 (Marlin 336, and an 1896 Krag Carbine.........had a 1/2 share of that one).

Only one I really miss at all is the Krag. But, we discovered it had a cracked receiver, and it was sold (with full disclosure of the crack). Wasn't really shootable as is, so it wasn't to hard to see it go to somebody that would actually use it, or atleast pieces of it.

Doyle

Mine was a Remington Model 7 .243 (original short barreled version) that I picked up in trade. I already had that exact same rifle in .260 so I figured I didn't need one in .243. I traded it for a new S&W 442. Now, I wish I'd kept the .243.