The Old Gray Mare Retires

KyJim

Well I finally pulled my Colt Mustang .380 off active duty today. I've had her for 20+ years and carried her off and on the whole time. She's probably the the most accurate subcompact pistol I've ever had. But time moves on. The Mustang has been out of production for a long time and it was just time to get another small, pocket .380. Here's the Mustang. The picture doesn't show it but she has some handling marks that a gun gets when you carry it (sorry about the poor quality of the photos).

Colt_Mustang_01.jpg

I replaced it with a Ruger LCP I recently purchased. After finding the Ruger at a good price a few weeks ago, I had to back order enough .380 ammo to make sure it functioned. I got it to the range today and it functioned fine. I shot strictly at 7 yards since this is a short range pistol. I'll try it at longer distances later. I mostly wanted to make sure it worked and to get a feel for it today. Here's the LCP along with a modified Uncle Mikes pocket holster:

Ruger_LCP_03.jpg

Finally, the young and the old meet:

ColtMustang_RugerLCP_01.jpg

B.N.Real

That's quite a difference in function there.

You really like that Ruger over your Colt for carry now?

No safety-point and shoot.

The Ruger is a much lighter gun as well too-is'nt it?

Your Colt is one of the best little 380's ever made-I think.

You think trhat Ruger will prove to be as good as your Colt has been? or possible even better? function wise ( because of the direct shoot?)?

Two great handguns there by the way.

DarthTedd

Great looking Colt ... I've only seen one of those in person & it was impressive (at a gun show a few years back).

I'm currently on the LCP kick as well & really enjoying it. It's so easy to carry when I'm in shorts & a t-shirt.

KyJim

Did you carry the little Colt cocked-n-locked?
Yep, in a pocket holster. I tested it quite a bit before I did so for real. It was fine with the holster. The safety would disengage in the pocket without a holster.

You really like that Ruger over your Colt for carry now?
The Ruger is a lot lighter which is important to me in the summer. I wear shorts with elastic in the waistband a lot when I'm not working. The Mustang is heavy enough to pull on the shorts.

I don't think the Ruger is the gun the Mustang is but, as I said, I don't have to worry about finding parts if something breaks. I also plan on getting the Sig Mustang clone (P238) when it comes out. :)

bakon

Glad to hear it worked well for you.

I have just been offered a Colt Mustang Pocketlite which looks exactly like yours. Looks new and although she said it was fired years ago, I don't think it really was. I don't know much about this model but was thinking of using it for my offduty or backup at work. I have had a Sig 380 which fires SA or DA but never a SA only pistol. I know what cocked and locked is, but is this the safest? The Sig had a decocking lever, but the Mustang does not. Also if I lower the hammer to right off the firing pin, there is a catch, not half cocked but off the pin. Problem I found is the hammer will fall to the pin if the trigger is touched, doesn't matter is saftey if on/off. I am afraid this would cause the round in the chamber to go off. Any advise on carry?

Duty gun is a Glock and current home gun also Glock. Being left handed, there are not many options other than adapt to the right handed world.

CJO

Quote from bacon: I have just been offered a Colt Mustang Pocketlite which looks exactly like yours. Looks new and although she said it was fired years ago, I don't think it really was. I don't know much about this model but was thinking of using it for my offduty or backup at work. I have had a Sig 380 which fires SA or DA but never a SA only pistol. I know what cocked and locked is, but is this the safest? The Sig had a decocking lever, but the Mustang does not. Also if I lower the hammer to right off the firing pin, there is a catch, not half cocked but off the pin. Problem I found is the hammer will fall to the pin if the trigger is touched, doesn't matter is saftey if on/off. I am afraid this would cause the round in the chamber to go off. Any advise on carry?

The safest way to carry it is cocked and locked. If a bit nervous, carry it around the house in a pocket holster unloaded for a while. If it still makes you nervous you could sell it easily.

KyJim

Cocked and locked is safe. CJO was correct in recommending you carry it cocked and locked but unloaded in a pocket holster for awhile. That's an Uncle Mike's pocket holster (cheap) which I slightly modified by gluing on some plastic from a report cover around the bottom and seamed edge. I did this to give the holster added stability. Better pocket holsters are available but this works for me.

When you don't carry, either leave cocked and locked in a safe (won't hurt the gun) or remove mag and then clear the chamber before storing. That way you don't have to lower the hammer on a chambered round. I leave mine cocked and locked unless I'm going to store it for a long time. I do this because reloading the same cartridge in the gun multiple times can possibly damage the cartridge.

Kreyzhorse

Congrats on the LCP. I think you picked a good replacement for the old Colt. I agree that the LCP doesn't compare to the Colt, but it does make a really nice summer carry piece, especially on those hot, humid Kentucky days.

joegator

They are both excellent guns. I also own both. I tend to carry the LCP more than anything. Although I love the Mustang, I never felt comfortable carrying it cocked in my pocket , but that's just me. Congrats on the LCP it will serve you well.

imthegrumpyone

KyJim, don't think I could of "Retired" that Mustang, he's not going to like being in the pasture by herself and not being attended to like he's been use to all those years. Especially for a spunky little Filly that's not proven her ability.:rolleyes: If it was me I'd feed him good now and than with some good stuff and let him know he's still loved.;)

KyJim

If it was me I'd feed him good now and than with some good stuff and let him know he's still loved.
Feed's pretty scarce but I do plan on getting her out every now and then for some range plinking.

KyJim

I know they are expected to ship soon. I haven't actually seen one. I do plan on getting one but may wait for others to work out the bugs. :)