The new Walther PPS

Capt. Dixie

I have checked the web and I see the new PPS is due out later this year.
Appears supposed to be shipping as of July '07. Anyone have any additional
information on this new pistol? Looks better than the Keltec PF9 which was slated for purchase by myself, but holding-off for the PPS. Looks like a fine
CCW weapon. Any comments; inside info, etc??

Last edited:

Mortech

From the overlay picture it looks like the PPS bore sits quite a bit higher over the hand than the PPK . That won't be a good thing in the follow up shot department since the PPS is chambered for 9MM and 40S&W . Visually it kind of looks like what would happen if you mated a HiPoint with a P99 after a night of heavy drinking .

44 Deerslayer

It looks like Walther is arriving a little late to the party. There are many high quality polymer 9mm/.40 pistols available today in all sizes such as Springfield XD, Glock, Kahr, S&W M&P, Beretta, etc.

I suppose they want to get on the bandwagon with the others...

sox

Walther is not arriving late to the party at all. In fact, I dare say they will start a trend with slim-finally, subcompacts for CCW. I love all these guys who carry a Glock 30 in one pocket and 2 spare mags in the other and a huge tactical keyring in the third pocket. My little Colt .380 gov't is way easier to carry than just about anything, but the caliber is lacking and it is a tad heavy as it is not the pocketlite version. I am sure it will be much better than the keltec PF9.

I think you will find the follow up shots easier that a PPK due to the locked breech design over the recoil of the ppk. This gun is the bomb in my opinon. 3 different grips.

I wonder if this was designed for some European agency and if the other gun makers have similar super slim designs on the way?

Capt. Dixie

Review - what is the purpose

Sox, I gotta agree with you. This is a niche' gun. I suspect it will be better
built than the PF9. It may not replace my Rohrbaugh, but I'm going to add it to the wishlist. Hoping to see one soon.

It looks like it'll be a good addition -- definitely worth a look. Still, I find it a bit odd that they're stressing the comparison to the PPK. The PPK is smaller in almost every dimension (except weight) versus the PPS...and, further the PPK isn't even chambered for the rounds that the PPS will use.