The new Savage Accu-Stock

LouPran

Like the accu-trigger the new accu-stock is supposed to be another innovation in factory rifles that will push the industry to respond (Or so I've read)

Finding info on them is maddeningly difficult and my local stores don't seem to carry accu-stock models yet.

With this thread I'm hoping to get some info for any and all interested in this new design by Savage.

So far ... here is the best thing I've found...

This is supposed to be the new stock, molded in clear polycarbonate and the aluminum skeleton , anodized red.
AccustockI.jpg

AccustockII.jpg

It would appear this is a vastly superior stock to the old tupperware stock.

LouPran

Having just gotten off the phone with Savage , I was told there are NO Accu-stocks out in the market yet and they will not be available until the first quarter of 2009.

I was also told they will be selling the accu-stock to retrofit on older rifles for sale some time around March.

Couldn't get any more info.

Jimro

Hogue makes a stock that uses an aluminum frame with synthetic over it...didn't they call it the "overmold"?

Looks like a darn good stock, good news for Savage shooters if the prices stay down.

Jimro

LouPran

It supposedly has a special feature or two that make it work ideally with the savage action and barrel.

Demaiter

how are Savage rifles in wooden stock? Vastly superior to their plastic stocks? I wonder then how they will compare to wood stocks... as I just ordered model 14 American Classic...

Also will there be left hand models in this accu stock... hmm I wonder...

I bet most folks won't be liking that clear stock - people are going to be calling them even more of a toy... even though it is an upgrade.

sholling

Hogue makes a stock that uses an aluminum frame with synthetic over it...didn't they call it the "overmold"?
Hogue makes two styles. One uses aluminum pillars and is too flexible. The other uses a molded in aluminum rail. The price difference is roughly $80.

LouPran

i dont think i have ever seen a rifle with clear stock. might want to get me one of those.

I probably should have been clearer on that ... that is just for display purposes I was told.

Demaiter

well the Accu stock I see is listed now in the police lineup - I don't see it in the standard line up yet. And yes, that one in clear is promotional so one can see the design...

Anyhow I wonder about the quality of this stock and if anyone yet has seen one in their local stores.

It says its Black synthetic AccuStock ™ with aluminum spine and three-dimensional bedding cradle. If its as good of improvement as the accu trigger it might compare to the higher end custom stocks or those of weatherby's as they have a similar design.

Swampghost

One really needs to pay attention to the expansion/contraction rates when marrying two different materials. This has been an ongoing problem since the 50's. I've worked with quite a few companies in resolving these type of problems, you can't change the properties of metals very much and finding a suitable resinous/polymer material is extremely difficult or impossible in some cases.

Savage man

The new Savage AccuStock

Thought I would attempt to clarify a few things regarding the new AccuStock.

1. it will begin shipping in January - long actions will be first
2. AccuStocks will be on the detachable box magazine and hinged floorplate blue/synthetic models and detachable box magazine and hinged floorplate stainless models including left hand configurations. Additionally, it will be available on the new model 10 Precision Carbine, 10FCP, 110FCP and 10FLCP - LE models. You will also find it on the Scout rifle. The AccuStocks's aluminum spine will also be found on the new aluminum stock model 10BA tactical models.
3. All AccuStock models will have the new bolt release - button tucked in front of the trigger guard - and a smooth locknut.
4. unfortunately, the new AccuStock cannot be retrofitted to older stocks. The AccuStock has a 3rd. action screw that draws a wedge shaped piece of aluminum into the recoil lug that tightens the action front to back.

Hope this helps.

Savage man

The clear stock is a demo stock to show the bedding system.
The aluminum rail runs the entire length of the stock so the stock is very rigid.