The new mini-14

On my own experience with owning at least 4 different ones during the 90s as long as the magazines were good the guns were utterly reliable regardless of whether I cleaned it often or not. They were inaccurate except for one gun which I decided to shoot 68 grain match through with a choate stock and a decent scope. I was able to get 1 and half inch groups at a hundred using that combo.

I used to take them down gorges and up rock faces when I was in the adventurous phase. Could shoot reloads through them without problems.

Are the new Ruger minis as reliable and rugged as the ones I owned?

How well have they tackled the heat issue?

wnycollector

The FFL dealer who does all my transfers also works for www.gunweek.com as an editor/writer. I was picking up a new pistol a few weeks ago and noticed that he had a new mini-14 target in his gun rack. I of course ask him what he thinks of the "new" mini. His reply shocked me..."It is more accurate than the ar's he shot along side of it!" We chatted a bit more about it, and then moved on to other topics. I cant wait to check out his full write up!

I couldn't resist anymore. i went and got the folding stock tactical version. Only got to shoot it 20 times so far. No hiccups. Probably take a couple hundred rounds before I would say it is proven.

But considering the record I have had with the mini-14 in the past I have a feeling it will pass the test.

Also after 20 shots felt the barrel and it was merely warm to the touch.

azredhawk44

Took them long enough to figure out their primary market is a country that worships at the Altar of Accuracy, didn't it?

The mini is abysmal in accuracy when compared to its design forebears... the M14 and M1 Garand.

(No, don't quote me out of context... the Mini is not designed for bears:D)

Another 6 ounces of steel to stiffen the barrel is not that much to ask, and it in no way sacrifices the undisputed reliability of the rifle. Considering all the aftermarket gimicks out there to stiffen the barrel halfway down, the world has been screaming at Ruger since the 80's at least to get the dang thing fixed.

Then again, it took Glock over 20 years to come out with adjustable backstraps for the grip hump too...

Frankly, it's less turning-down of the barrel on the lathe. Takes less time and has less wear on tooling. Doesn't cost any more in material, though they have less steel scrap to send back to the barrel foundry.

I'm not "against" the mini... I'm trying to trade my dad my XD9 for one. But its accuracy simply doesn't compare to similar rifles.

Funeralfog

i never had a problem with accuracy with my Ranch rifle, only problem would be the magazines but i only wasted money on one of them before

trooper3385

The problem I have with the mini is having to completely brake them down everytime you fire them. If you don't get the nipple that the slide fits into cleaned and lubed, it would corrode and lock up on you. Before we were issued the M4's as duty weapons, the mini's were a real pain due to that. Other than that, I had no problems with them. They were not built for extreme accuracy. They performed as designed. Atleast the one I had. I don't have any experience with the new ones though.

blume357

I've never really had a problem with them locking closed after

shooting and not cleaning.... well I did once after using crappy dirty foreign ammo... just do the AK kick and it functions fine.

stubbicatt

All that I have read about them, the 580 series, has been positive. I don't really see the need for another 223, else I'd get one and try it out I suppose. I like that the sights are so close to the centerline of the bore. I like how it points.

Supposedly the accuracy is quite stellar, at least in comparison with prior iterations. On a par with a standard M4.

The one at the gunstore which I held pointed well. The magazine was somewhat challenging to remove, tho. If I practiced with it, it would probably become easier.

Last edited:
The problem I have with the mini is having to completely brake them down everytime you fire them. If you don't get the nipple that the slide fits into cleaned and lubed, it would corrode and lock up on you. Before we were issued the M4's as duty weapons, the mini's were a real pain due to that. Other than that, I had no problems with them. They were not built for extreme accuracy. They performed as designed. Atleast the one I had. I don't have any experience with the new ones though.

That's contrary to all the experience I have ever had with the mini 14 (the old ones). Most of the time I broke them down to clean not because they were starting to jam but because I felt it was about time after taking them out shooting numerous times and putting hundreds of rounds through them.

Of course you might be referring to extensively shooting them for law enforcement training in which case I can see them needing to be cleaned more often. But definitely not as much as an AR.

I also only clean mie when I feel it has just not been cleaned lately. I have never seen it start to suffer performance issues b/c of a cleaning problem.

I really like the look of it. It is not all that intimidating with a wood stock on.

I was getting roughly 1 and half inches at 50 yards with iron sights, using 55 grain spanish ball. I am a bit near sighted but surprisingly a good shot with irons. I would trim off a 1 quarter inch if I used a scope probably.

So we would be talking 2 and half to 3 inches at 100 yards. Many sporter bolt rifles group around that with factory ammo.

Not sure what it would do with match ammo or reloads.

I have yet to clean my tactical mini-14 since I pulled it from the box. I have brought it out on at least 5 outings and put over 200 rounds through it using Ruger 3 different 20 round mags.

Not a single hitch whatsoever.

I thought to clean the gun out of respect for it but then I feel like I need to prove to the mini haters that the Ruger mini is BETTER than the AR plain and simple.

:p

In close quarter combat reliability and ergonomics are everything in my opinion. The Ruger is streamlined and quick to point.

So far the gun has proved to be just as accurate as your run of the mill M4.

qwman68

my 580 series will shoot less than 2 in. at 100 yrds. with iron sights.. imagine if i had a scope.. how freakin accurate does it have to be? its never jammed like all the ar's do.extremely dependable,and tons less than an ar.. whats not to like

Edward429451

What'd they do, change the rifling in them? What's the twist in the new ones? The older ones were all 1-7", way too fast for anything except maybe 69 or 77 gr bullets.

Alleykat

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah...those Minis are so wonderful that they're used by militaries all over the world....blah, blah, blah...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Spade Cooley

The Ruger Ranch Rifle I owned years ago patterned like a shotgun at 100 yds. I got rid of it and don't want anything close to it.

Sarge

I've got a 580 series and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Read here for the preliminary review with accuracy notes & pics:

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008/10/mini-14-580-series-ranch-rifle-last.html

Since that article I have put at another 350+ rounds downrange, most of which were reloads I put up in mixed military brass using 55 grain bullets and H4895 powder. Practically all of it was fed from 20 round ProMags and all factory ammo of every bullet type, and every in-spec reload (plus many which weren't in-spec) have fed flawlessly. I've trained several LE folks on various 'M4gery's' and malfs with factory ammo are not unheard of with them; they can be downright picky about reloads. I haven't seen nearly as many Mini's but the ones I have seen worked. For decades however, rack-grade AR's enjoyed a substantial accuracy advantage because it was a rare pre-580 that would really shoot.

I am something of an accuracy buff and I won't keep a rifle around if it won't shoot. What I am not is a 'barrel burner' and I don't sling ammo away just to make noise. The vast majority of my current Mini's round count has been fired carefully, at 200 yards. As time has progressed, I'm convinced it is shooting better than when I first evaluated it. The little rifle loves Sierra's match 55 grain HP's and produces occasional 200 yard groups right at two inches. It's no slouch with 55 grain Winchester bulk softpoints, which like the Sierra's are loaded exclusively over H4895. I had a cheap 3x9 scope on it and even with the barrel warm it would explode water-filled Coke cans at 200 yards, one after another or until you flubbed a shot. I haven't shot many AR's or M4's at that distance but judging from 100 yard work getting their sights zeroed, this Ruger will run with any rack-grade AR I have shot. I can't promise you they are all this good; I can promise you that this one isn't for sale.

The AR enjoys a substantial advantage over the Mini in availability of magazines, accessories and aftermarket parts. The AR has much better magazine locking system. The ease and speed with which magazine changes can be made, would make the AR the sensible choice for any protracted firefight or 'Run and Gun' competition. For most any other use, 20 rounds is plenty and I have no qualms about using the Mini as a patrol carbine.

The Mini is also hard on brass, throwing it 18-20 feet and occasionally mangling it in the process. Differences between the typical stock trigger pulls of both rifles are inconsequential- no compliment to either of them. Both may be improved substantially and you do at least get a 2-stage pull with a Mini.. The ergonomics of the Mini simply work better for me and I favor blue steel and walnut (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) on my rifles. I think once I get some decent glass on this gun and exorcise that damn lawyer from the trigger, this Mini will flat shoot. I'm also going to swap out the gas port bushing so I don't have to chase brass into another zip code.

If you're going to buy a Mini and accuracy matters to you, get at least a 580 series.