The new frame-mounted firing pin

BlueTrain

There have been numerous comments and threads, mostly negative, about the internal locking mechanism on new S&W revolvers. There have also been a few incidental comments, also mostly negative, about the frame-mounted firing pin on these same new revolvers.

What do people think of them?

Honestly, I get the impression that those that don't like them enough to say so don't like them just because they are new and different. But Rugers have always had them, as far as I know, and even Elmer Keith suggested Colt do that with their Single Action Army, though I don't recall he ever suggested S&W do that.

My new S&W revolver has the frame-mounted firing pin and I can't tell any difference. This is the same revolver I have mentioned in other posts in that it has a tapered barrel and the hammer is slotted for the internal lock but there is none. Sort of a parts gun but they all are, in a way.

18DAI

IMHO the frame mounted firing pins are not new or different, having been on K22's and other rimfires for eons. I prefer the hammer mounted pin, because alot of gunk builds up in the frame mounted firing pin tunnels, if not kept meticulously clean. My 686's and 586-5 PC L-comp have the frame mounted, while my 19's and 66's have hammer mounted firing pins. The only light strike problems I've had, have been with the 686's. In two cases, the smith said it was due to buildup in the firing pin channels. I keep my guns extremely clean, so I wonder how many others, less anal about gun cleaning, suffer similar problems. Not all of us older shooters "hate" things because they are "new". I despise internal locks and two piece barrels. The locks because they are an idiotic solution to a nonexistent problem, and a liability on a carry revolver. The two piece barrels because they are a cost cutting measure, and IMHO look like crap. I don't dislike them because they are new, simply that they are not needed. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

JoeHatley

I have several N frames with the frame mounted firing pin. I've replaced all but one with the longer pin from C&S.

I prefer the hammer mounted pin, but the frame mounted can be easily swapped out without having to re-rivet.

Joe

skeeter1

I've got two Smith J-frames, one with a frame mounted firing pin (model 35) and one with the hammer-mounted firing pin (model 60). Neither one has ever misfired, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over whichever it has.