The new Colt 1911s?

Neal in GA

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm not a big series 80 fan, and I know colt had been down on quality in recent years. I know they've reintroduced the series 70. How's the quality on it? I examined a Gunsite model at the gun store today, and it looked quite nice, but $1000 for a used pistol is out of my price range. The XSE series looks like something in the range of what I'm looking for. Are they using the series 70 system or the series 80? Lots of questions, I know. Anyway, thanks. :)

XavierBreath

The recent Colt quality is quite good overall. Unless I'm mistaken, the XSE is a Series 80. If I could find a Colt Gunsite for a grand out the door, I would probably buy it.

Neal in GA

I will actually be able to get that used gunsite for under a grand out the door. I used to work for the gun store that has it (though it's been about 7 years). The problem is I don't have a grand to spend on a pistol right now.

dsk

Less than $1000 for a Colt Gunsite Model is a steal! New ones are going for between $1200 and $1500 depending on how badly the seller wants to finance his new Hummer.

Colt's quality control is still hit or miss in the cosmetics department, but they always seem to be made well enough to function right. In addition, Colts only use four MIM components (sear, disconnect, mag catch and plunger tube); most of the sub-$1000 competitors are laden with that junk. The best value in a new Colt is the "New Rollmark" Series 80 1991, which is basically the older M1991A1 but with a better finish and nicer-looking slide markings, hence the name. The Series 70 reproduction is also very nice, but you pay a $150-$200 premium over the 1991 just to be rid of the firing pin safety and to have a finer polish on the flats. They also use the solid bushing instead of the original's collet bushing, so in effect these are technically "pre-Series 70" guns.

The main caveat is to look over any new Colt before you buy it. Like I said, while they function well, lately they've been coming with all sorts of cosmetic flaws like uneven edges, polishing/marking goof-ups, and off-center machining cuts. But if you can find a good one it'll last you a very long time.

WESHOOT2

Las Vegas-style

Mr. Smith of EGW had some interesting observations of Colt pistols on The 1911 Forum; perhaps that kind of money could buy a Les Baer, Rock River, or the like.

You know, the kind with its holes in the right places and stuff.

NRMCOLT

Get one

but like they said, check out the fit and finish first before you buy.
I know you won't be disappointed.

RsqVet

The new colt gunsite I looked at had so much slop in the trigger one could sit there and make it click like a telegraph ket without dropping the hammer.

Piece of junk in my opinion, I have always wanted to drive up to gunsite here in AZ and see if the guns colt sends to their shop are in any way better fit and finished than what is out there on the shelves of other shops

Neal in GA

This one was nice. It had a good finish on it with just a tiny amount of really light holster wear on some of the edges in the bluing. I'm a trigger snob, and this pistol had a bit of creep, so I'd get a trigger job on it, but I think I'll step down and find a decent XSE or something of like quality/price. I may even just get a mil-spec springfield to plink around with until I can afford to buy something along the lines of a les baer or wilson combat.

shield20

XSE is a good weapon - I like the latest version with the novak style sights and Ambi safety. I had passed on a previous generation about 15 months ago because it just wasn't as nice as a comparative Kimber (which ended up sucking with the ^%&*$ external extractor).
Found and bought a newer ltwght Commander this Spring and have been happy with it - great fit & finish, very accurate to POA, and not too bad on the reliability - real nice shooting with Hornady TAP 200s and GD 230s. Well made, good size and weight, with all the features I would want out of the box for a CCW.

RickB

Actually, Colt has not been down on quality in recent years. They were down in quality about 10-15 years ago. Their recent stuff is mostly very good. I bought a new .38 Super, last year, and other than a poorly-fit barrel bushing, which probably wouldn't have been obvious to a casual user, it is a very nice gun.

topspin43

Mine is 4 months old and 1100 round old. Fit/finish is flawless and have had only one problem... front sight dot popped out after first shot. Fixed with Bright sights... have had no FTF or FTE's, trigger is nice and it will be with me forever. No regrets. Mine is a Govt XSE 1980 in Carbon Steel. Here is a pic for ya!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 36100.jpg
    36100.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,400

Neal in GA

Beautiful pistol, Topspin. That's one reason I'm leaning towards the Colts over a Kimber, Springfield, etc. It seems to me Colt is the only sub $1500 1911 manufacturer that even offers a nice blued finish anymore.