• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

The New Board

boing

I'm hip to the design, but why didn't I hear about it? Were there announcements made that I missed (as I suspect)?
Does the "Today's Active Posts" feature show only posts active for that calendar day, or posts active since the last time I visited the board?
I know the design will be tweaked over the next few days, so my suggestion is to remove those lines separating the posts. It just seems a little...what? Formal? Unfriendly? Divisive? I don't know...maybe it's just new and scary and I need my second cup of coffee and a cigarette.
As for commercialization of the site, I'm not particularly for it. OTOH, I really have no idea what it takes to keep this site running, either financially or operationally (what *does* it take?). So if ads must come to preserve TFL, Let It Be Done. It's just about the only board I visit anymore, and I would hate to lose it.

With great appreciation and respect,
-boing

Rob Pincus

Boing,

I can't speak for Rich, but if you are referring to the promotion of the charity event that I run as "Commercialization".... it isn't. No one makes any money from that event besides the Charity. Rich paid for TFL to be a sponsor.

Other than that, I don't think there are any plans for Advertising at all.

Thanks for your interest and support.

------------------
-Essayons

boing

Rob'
I didn't mean the charity deal (good idea!). The 'Feedback' topic on members vs. junior members threaded into a discussion of advertising, and T-shirts. I generally wear annonymous, non-descript clothing, but I'd buy a shirt to support the board.
Thanks for the quick reply!

-boing

Just changed from MS Explorer to Netscape and opened the new page... at first i thought that the browser was handling it differently (!) - The new layout is great (and in general TFL is extremely useful and informative) ... congratulations.

DC

Moderator Emeritus
If you have (had) your bookmark to the main contents page, you will have to change it.
The new software changed the cgi part of the URL.

this is how I book mark:

http://www.thefiringline.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

the old URL had "/cgibin/ instead of ubbcgi

longhair

boy , the new board freaked me out for a few minutes, i didn't know if i was gonna like it or not. after being on here awhile, i got used to it, i think it's gonna be alright.
loooooking goood! :)

------------------
fiat justitia

longhaircsa@netscape.net

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah. The active topics is a cool feature..a direct link to each thread that has been busy on that date

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

boing

Well, it took half a pack of smokes, but I got used to those lines. I gotta quit these damn things.

-boing

P.S.- Can Today's Active Posts be made to show the time of the last post? I think this would help those of us who check in several times a day.

[This message has been edited by boing (edited February 13, 1999).]

Grayfox

I liked the old board. Once I get used to something, change annoys me. Ok, so I'm old fashioned. This new board just looks so dry. Its like being in a bussiness program. Oh well, I'll get used to it. I'm not about to quit my favorite place. :)

Boing-
Believe it or not, you're *way* ahead of me in terms of checking out the Board's features. I promise to bone up within the next few days.

In the meantime, if you'd like to check out the BBS software that we use, try http://www.ultimatebb.com/ .
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 14, 1999).]

JJB

Serves me right. I'm off for about a day and come back to these big changes.

I like them.

It may be my old and weak eyes but I find this layout easier to read.

Keep up the good work.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

Douglas in CT

Dear Administrator,
Really like the new format.
Would it be possible to do something about the background color?
Specifically in the posting areas with the alternating white and grey backgrounds.I find that the white is a bit too harsh. Perhaps a different color combination could be used.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT :)

Douglas-
I will be playing with the colors, ad nauseum, at a later time.

The white I show is an off white, not a bright white. I believe the colors displayed are a function of the number of colors your monitor can handle.
Rich

Sackett

Like the new board but whether due to the new design or due to a new server location, the load time is now much longer.

Jim V

Now, I have a question. Prior to the change, (which I like bty, except for the start I got when I tried to get on the board during the changeover), when one posted an entry his/her name and password came up automatically. Now it does not, or is that something I have to change in my settings?
I've got so many different P/W's from different things at work and at home I have a hard time keeping them in correct order. :)

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Jim-
This Board is easy:
1) Go to the "profile" tab to change your password to something easily remembered
2) If you forget your password, the software can immediately send it to you based on your email address...just start a post and click on "forget your password"
3) OR go to the "prefs" tab and check off "remember" my password. The software will do the work for you
Rich

JJB

Now there is one thing I do not care for. I noticed that the arrangement of forums when using the Hop To box has changed. It used to be the same arrangement of forums you find when you are on the Forums page. Now it seems to be some semi alphabetic arrangement but not quite. What gives?

Jim In IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL