The new ban on replacement barrels/recievers etc

Limeyfellow

I wanted to know what people thought about the quiet passing on the 13th of July 2005 a ban on all imports of replacement foreign barrels and recievers for military surplus, NFA firearms and any other non sporting type with no exceptions. It just seems once again this administration has stabbed gun owners in the back, with the death of the importation of parts, the end of part kits, and just another of many many laws in the past 4 or 5 years.

Add to that and the talk of stopping curio and relics roll on dates, and many other laws that make the ban of assault weapons by the Clinton Administration look mild in comparsion and the only people who benefit are price gauging american companies who seem to charge 5-10 times more for a similar constructed firearm or parts. Am I the only one who seems to be upset by this?

Trapp

One problem we have is that it's not new. Shaggy knows about this. It really hurts the home gun builders. Like me...(I've just started getting into the AK building HOBBY). Gun makers have been taking parts kits and producing AK's en masse. The ATF has gotten fed up with this for some reason, and now this is what we have.......enforcement.

Hkmp5sd

the quiet passing on the 13th of July 2005 a ban on all imports of replacement foreign barrels and recievers for military surplus, NFA firearms and any other non sporting type with no exceptions.

It is not a new ban. It has been on the books since the passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act. They have just decided to start enforcing it.

(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Secretary has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or

steelersfan0000

I didnt even know that this was going on. Queit is right, Thanks for the heads up. On the brite side it gives me a excuse to go buy all the surplus rifles i have been eyeing :D . By the ways does this include surplus ammo??

shaggy

One problem we have is that it's not new. Shaggy knows about this. It really hurts the home gun builders. Like me...(I've just started getting into the AK building HOBBY). Gun makers have been taking parts kits and producing AK's en masse. The ATF has gotten fed up with this for some reason, and now this is what we have.......enforcement.

Exactly. The law they're enforcing is not new; BATF had been giving us a free ride for a few years letting complete parts kits with barrels come in for "repair and replacement" parts, not for the creation of new guns. After a few years of watching people openly violate their rule, BATF decided to crack down and enforce the law as its written. I'm not saying they're justified - if home builders or even large manufacturers use kits imported for repair or replacement parts only, they could have found another avenue to prevent kits being built into complete guns that wouldn't have completely cut off sources for bonafide repair & replacement parts.

As it stands now, I'm hopeful US manufacturing will step up to the task. Parts can still be imported so there will be a good profit incentive for US barrel manufacturing to gear up. Additionally some importers may find that they can assemble a cheaply made receiver overseas, slap it on a barrel & trunion, get the parts imported as complete 'sporterized' rifles and then cut for parts once they get into the US. More work, more cost, but it would continue to get imported barrels in the country.

Duxman

Alternative option

Buying every surplus rifle you can find is not the only option: We can write our Senators (I already did) and congressmen and tell them to look into this and put a stop to this nonsense.

This is another bureacratic trick to enforce the assualt weapons ban by artificially inflating gun prices. We do not allow the government to control pricing of cars, houses, and plastic forks: Its a supply and demand issue.

So why should we stand back and take this?

Hkmp5sd

Here is what to do. It solves this problem and several others. Contact your congress folks and get it passed.

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1703
To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 19, 2005
Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Ways and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Second Amendment Protection Act of 2005'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF FEDERAL HARASSMENT PERIOD.

Public Law 103-159 is repealed, and any provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

SEC. 3. REPEAL OF UNCONSTITUTIONAL DISTINCTION.

(a) Section 5845(f) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended--

(1) by striking `which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes'; and

(2) by striking `which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes'.

(b) Section 921(a)(4)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes'.

(c) Section 921(a)(4) of such title is amended in the 2nd sentence by striking `which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes'.

(d) Section 921(a)(17)(C) of such title is amended by striking `a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes,'.

(e) Section 923(j) of such title is amended by striking `devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community'.

(f) Section 922(r) of such title is amended by striking `of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(g) Section 925(a)(3) of such title is amended by striking `determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes and'.

(h) Section 925(a)(4) of such title is amended by striking `(A) determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes, or determined by the Department of Defense to be a type of firearm normally classified as a war souvenir, and (B)'.

(i) Section 925(d)(3) of such title is amended by striking `and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(j) Section 925(e)(2) of such title is amended by striking `provided that such handguns are generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(k) Section 922 of such title is amended in each of subsections (a)(5), (a)(9), and (b)(3) by striking `lawful sporting purposes' and inserting `lawful purposes'.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The provisions of this Act shall take effect immediately upon enactment.