The New .416 Barrett Cartridge.

Hard Ball

Barrett is comming out with the new 416 Barrett Cartridge. The cartridge is basically a .50 BMG case necked down to take .416 bullet. s MV is @3300 fps with 200-250 graun bullets. Velocity remains supersonic out to 2500 meters. Offered only in bolt action rifles initially.

joshua

.416 bullets weighing 200-250 grain out of a neckdown .50B. Those figures seem kind of light for the projectile. I would think a 300-350 grain will be more like it, but then again the longer the bullets the faster twist you'll have to go with so it may have to do with barrel life. josh

joneb

Well poo, the .50 BMG generates 12,500 to 13,000 ft/lbs of energy. A .416 dia. bullet wieghing 450 grs would need to travel 3,575 ft/sec to match the .50 BMG.

Now that I think about it, to get any wieght the bullet would need to quite long and the barrel would need a faster twist . I think the M-99 .50 has a 1in15" , I wonder why they did'nt go with a .45 cal ?

rha600

they weren't going for energy on this one. Sort of like S&W's 500 and 460 the .416 is meant to be an accurate long range super fast bullet. That's what I got out of the article at least. I think they are trying to gear it towards hunters too the way it sounded.

Actually the first thing that jumped to my mind was the Barret version of the .408 Cheytac. I think what Barret is aiming for here is super super duper (technical term) long range (IE well over 1000 yards).

But if your going to do that the Cheytac weapons system just makes more sense. Unfortunately your looking at shelling out over 10 grand and I don't even think that includes the ballistic computer which inputs coriolis effect and spin of the earth.

Crosshair

Sure you are not going to get 50 BMG muzzle energy. But you are going to get far better accuracy. Some people call 2,000 yard shots with the 50 BMG more like pot shots than sniping sometimes because the don't always have match grade ammo and the match grade ammo they do get is not much of an improvement for 2000 yard shots.

Crosshair

jibjab

Well I think what barrett is aiming for is California.

No, from what I have read he started the 416 project before Cali banned the 50 cal. Though the Cali ban has made a great marketing theme. The "California here we come" ad comes to mind.

paratrooper

The Barrett web site seems to be less than informative concerning this new addition to the family . I was hoping for at least price and availability . I will not buy one until we get moved to AZ since CA will probably put a special alert out on anyone that gets one before Swinestein can dream up a reason to ban it .