The Mythical "Cheap" D/A 22 Revolver.

CajunBass

Actually it's "inexpensive". Not cheap.

I was in a local pawn shop a couple of days ago when I spotted this overlooked gem. A High Standard, R-107, Sentinel Delux, 22 Long Rifle.

Made in 1974, it's about the size of a K-Frame Smith & Wesson. The frame is alloy, cylinder and barrel are steel. Grips are plastic, sights are windage adjustable only by drifting in the dovetail. The barrel obviously is 4". Trigger pull isn't bad at all. Cylinder capacity is nine shots.

The pawn shop had it tagged at $199.00, which I thought was pretty reasonable, but we haggled a bit and settled on $165.00.

Some of you may remember that I had one of these a couple of years ago but sold it to a fellow who wanted it to teach his daughter to shoot. At the time I had a bunch of other 22's so I didn't think too much of it, but did eventually miss it. In an Uncle Mikes holster it was a great gun to carry when I took my morning walks because it's so light. I haven't shot this one yet, but the other one was a good shooter. No reason to think this one won't be.

If you're looking for an inexpensive D/A 22, don't overlook these. I suspect I got a really good price on this one, but I got no idea what they usually go for.

Last edited:

bbqbob51

I think you got a great deal! I didn't think it was possible to buy a functioning revolver for less than $200, how's it shoot?

CajunBass

I think you got a great deal! I didn't think it was possible to buy a functioning revolver for less than $200, how's it shoot?

I haven't had a chance to shoot this one Bob, but the one I had before was a more than adequate plinker, which is all I do anyway.

Reportedly reliable guns. But famous for horrible trigger pulls. Good price though

That may be true, but I'm not a purist. The trigger on this one, and the one I had a few years ago, while not a tuned K-22, aren't too bad.

Wishoot

Quote:
Reportedly reliable guns. But famous for horrible trigger pulls. Good price though

That may be true, but I'm not a purist. The trigger on this one, and the one I had a few years ago, while not a tuned K-22, aren't too bad.

And for the price you got it, who cares? Even if you could only shoot it in SA, it's still a good deal.

Carmady

I had one of those about a year ago, also a R-107. I think it had the best natural point of any gun I've shot. The only reason I sold it was because it's made with a 6:00 sight picture, so it shoots high (mine did). I looked a little into raising the sight and/or replacing the front with a taller blade, but decided to sell it.

If you're going to hang onto it, the Brauer Bros H-19 holster fits like a glove. Otherwise a K frame size works, but it's a little loose.

JAREDSHS

bought one brand new in about 1959 or 1960. the gunshop owner discounted it
to me because some one had dinged the side of the frame from the extractor. the earlier models did not have a return spring on the extactor. I think I paid
50.00 out the door. I squirrel hunted with it wish I still had it and that I could see that well and shoot that well now. the single action trigger was quite good on them.:D:D

44 AMP

Staff
My Father had a Sentinel when I was a kid. 6" 9 shots, dead ringer for a police .38 except for being a .22. Back then, they were all steel (plastic grips IIRC), no alloy.

Neighbor had a Durango, cool gun too. Looked like a Colt SA, but it was DA with a swing out cylinder. Also 9 shots and steel.

Not everything High Standard put their name on was good, but some of it was. And most of the rest was good enough, considering the cost.

SaxonPig

HSs were a little odd looking but they were not junk. At $165 you got a fun revolver to shoot.

I got this a year or so back for $150. Has some finish issues but functions perfectly. I find the top break guns a hoot.

standard.jpg

Darn thing shoots pretty good...

standard.jpg