The most prevalent Hammer fired 9mm semi-auto

What is the most prevalent 9mm Hammer fired auto?

• Browning HP (includes Clones)

Votes: 51 45.9%
  • 1911 (includes Clones)

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • CZ-75 (includes Clones and all CZ-75 variants)

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • S&W Double-Action

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Others ( Baby Desert Eagles, Tanofoglio, etc )

Votes: 10 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dobe

By prevalant, I assume you mean the most widely used. From your list, the BHP or CZ. That doesn't necessarily make either of those two better 9mm's, just prevalant.

Willie D

Baby Desert Eagles, Tanofoglio

These would be included in CZ clones.

I didn't vote because this should be a fact to find out with proper research. Hard to guess. BHP has been produced steadily for so long, CZ has a crazy amount of clones including chinese, Beretta 92 could be high, or some Soviet block design could be the overall most produced.

gwnorth

Strikes me as kind of a pointless poll. The question, as phrased, is not one of opinion. There must be a factual answer to it, even if we don't have the sales figures or whatever available to know what that answer is.

And I assume we are only talking about 9x19mm here? And including all possible markets (civilian, military and law enforcement)? Beretta must have easily made 1 million or so original m9s for the USA, France and Italy (they made 700,000+ just for the US and France alone), and that was a long time ago (many variants and additional contracts awarded since then to add to the number). The Browning Hi power and clones have been in production since something like 1935, and are still the service weapon of several countries armed forces. Must be millions of them made by now.

P.S. one place to get some numbers for recent years in the USA is http://www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/index.htm In 2006, S&W seems the hands down production numbers winner - far more then Glock in 9mm pistols. But there is no way to get striker fired versus hammer models from the ATF pdf files.

Last edited:

BillCA

Don't forget, the BHP had it's clones too. Some better, some much worse.

I suspected it would come down to a toss-up between the BHP - due primarily to its longevity - and the CZ pistols. I don't believe the Beretta 92 has had nearly the world-wide acceptance of the other two at all.

As much as I like S&W's DA pistol series, they were never produced in the vast numbers of the BHP or CZ for military contracts. Unless you include the "grandfather" of the S&W action - the Walther P-38. The S&W 39/59 series is really an Americanized and slightly improved version of the P-38 action.

ajole

Maybe Makarov?

Yeah, its a 9X18, but still, the Russians and their friends turned out a ton of them, I'd think...

1911rocks

Purpose of Poll

After reviewing some of the replies thus far let me clarify the reason for this poll. First and foremost, it is not for a Six Sigma project, neither is to quantify nor qualify the average purchasing predilection of respondents. It was just for fun. Just for fun. The next poll will be far more interesting/complex/demanding.

rburch

I would say it's either BHP & clones or CZ & clones.

But then I've always thought the CZ-75 design took a lot of inspiration from the High Power.

Not saying it's a clone, there's the difference of actions, but the safety function, and basic design of a double stack 9mm, even the basic shape are similar.

And for me no other pistol feels as good in my hands as the BHP and CZ-75. With the 1911 coming up close behind them.

Honestly can't decide which feels better.

I picked CZ. Just seems like there may be more.
When somebody finds an actual number, and if it turns out to be CZ, you guys that picked the BHP are gonna be sooooo embarrased. :D:D:D

falnovice

It is the Browning Hi-Power w/ Clones by far.
Remember, this was the only game in town for a few decades.
I believe the total production for HP and clones is something to the tune of 11.5+ Million. Still being made today.
Put it in perspective....CZ had a party to celebrate their "One Million" CZ-75 a couple years ago.
Anyone know what Glock's current total production is? I know they were closing in on 3 Million, but that is including ALL models and ALL calibers. Where as the CZ is over 1 Million in just THAT Model, and in the 9mm chambering.

I don't think any one single design will ever be so widespread ever again. There are simply so many greats designs now competing for the contracts.....back then it was a few re-treaded single stacks, some one-off weirdos...and the Browning Hi-Power.