The Magnum Judge

headbangerJD

Does anyone own one of these? I just traded for one last week and love this gun. It's in my coffee table right now ready to be used as the first line of defense should any uninvited guests come in. What do you owners like/dislike about the Magnum Judge? Can anyone give me a good 3in 410 suggestion for personal protection? I don't need anyone ranting about how inadequate the Judge is, but I doubt that will stop the bashing :barf: :D

Charles Ellis

I don't have on and probably never will,but if I did I would keep it loaded with the 3 in 5 pellet buckshot loads.I'm not sure which company makes them,but I have seen them on the shelf at local Academy store.

BGutzman

I have a friend that owns one. (I havent done any research on this) He says that the 45 Long Colt trumps the 410 in stopping power.

45 Long or 410, either way is going eak havoc on a BG... I think its a bit to big for cc but great for home defense. The Judge was also a lot lighter than I expected it to be...

azredhawk44

It's in my coffee table right now ready to be used as the first line of defense should any uninvited guests come in.

A gun that has a documented history of being tied up by the mouth of .410 shotshells extending into the forcing cone and stopping the cylinder rotation... is your first line of home defense?

I hope you have .45 Colts in it.

Cheapshooter

Uh, if it's for home defense can you get your money back to buy something that works in every way, every time?
Do some searching on this forum, and others to find out why.
I did, still might buy one, but strictly for the uniqueness of design not SD.

44 AMP

Staff
A couple of suggestions...

No, I don't have a Judge, and don't plan on getting one. But I do have some experience with the .410 shell out of Contender.

You ought to see if you can get some .410 slugs! OK, they are going to be undersize for the bore, but they are pretty snappy from the Contender, and I think might dump more energy than standard .45 Colt loadings. The box says 1600+fps for the .410 slug, but I'm sure thats from a regular length shotgun barrel. Still it ought to be doing pretty well from the short pistol, probably ahead of the .45 Colt in the Judge?

Second, consider the 2.5" shells. They seem to pattern better out of my Contenders, and while I have not shot any buckshot I don't see you loosing much over the 3", except maybe a single pellet. Balanced against the possibility of the opened shell (3") tying up the gun, the 2.5" seems to be a better choice.

Personally, I think the Judge is all marketing hype. You won't get any great amount of pattern dispersal at across the room (or less) personal defense range, so if you are not on target, buckshot isn't going to help you any. I think a .45 Colt (only) revolver would be a better choice, but that's just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Locoweed

"Federal Premium Personal Defense .410 Handgun" loads. It's a 2 1/2" shell with four pellets of 000 buckshot at 1,200 fps. I don't know if they are making it in a 3" shell or not.

totaldla

I still don't get how folks think a .410 is "powerful" out of a 2.5" barrel. The Judge, in my not-so-humble opinion, is a gun for suckers. You'd be better off with pepper-spray.

Seriously, to anyone contemplating buying a judge - read up on it a bit, it is an embarrassment to the knowledgeable.

Cheapshooter

"Federal Premium Personal Defense .410 Handgun" loads. It's a 2 1/2" shell with four pellets of 000 buckshot at 1,200 fps. I don't know if they are making it in a 3" shell or not.
And if you are lucky, one of the four will be in the black silhouette area of the standard B-27 self defense target at 7 yards!

leadcounsel

Can anyone give me a good 3in 410 suggestion for personal protection? I don't need anyone ranting about how inadequate the Judge is, but I doubt that will stop the bashing

So you want others opinions, but only the opinion you want to hear??:confused:

The reason you won't hear good suggestions for the load you want is because MOST folks who are serious about self defense will tell you it's inadequate and there are better choices. My brother bought one, against my advice, and he loaded it with 3" Russian buckshot and it ruined his gun and he had to send it in for replacement, which took 6 weeks.

He thinks it's great for .45lc, but the reality is that .45lc would be better out of a designated .45lc revolver; and .45lc offerings for self defense are worse than more common .357mag. Edited to add the following sentence: The reason I stated .45lc was worse than the .357mag is due to availability and expense (more self defense load choices (.38, .38+P, .357 mag HP, etc. vs. fewer .45lc choices, less training with the .45lc at $1 a round than with the .38 and .357mag, which are widely available and less pricey - and since we all know shot placement is important and practice makes perfect the .45lc may be a worse choice).

Want my advice, sell it or trade it for a better handgun for self defense.

Last edited:

mothermopar

Use 45 Colt in your judge for defense... NOT 410 anything!

As for 45 Colt rounds being 'less' than 357 loads... That's hogwash. The 357 is a great round, but don't discount even the cowboy loads in 45 Colt... Those slow 250 gr lead bowling balls have stopped many a BAD and determined man... And beast! Presently, buffalo bore has a 255 gr Keith at 1000 fps and Speer has their 250 gr gold dot at about 800fps. Both are even safe for single action army's and the clones. Either will stop a **** as well as a 357... And leave a bigger hole.

OP: the reason folks are hesitant to direct you towards a 410 defense load is because there is no sufficient 410 shell made for defense. All are sub-par. Use the time proven (100+ years) 45 Colt in nearly any commercial loading (preferably something like the two I mentioned).

Just trying to save your skin should God forbid you ever have to use the judge in a defensive situation. No bashing, just truth my friend.

Use the 410 loads for fun! Guns are good for that too!!!

Teuthis

For home defense you might consider #6 shot. It will not have the penetration through walls that buckshot does, and at close range it is lethal. Home defense, even legitimate personal defense, are most likely going to be at close range.

I never use the 3" magnum loads in anything. I have always found that the 2 3/4 loads are sufficient. I would imagine though that the 3" loads will have a little more power and mass. It can't hurt.

Good luck with your Judge. I have to believe that a lot of proactice is in order. Have fun.