The Love of revolvers and where did they go

djohn

How many feel the love for the revolvers.I always loved the well made sexy looking revolvers Blue and SS made way back like the 686-6inch is just one for example and another like the 629 I believe intruduced some where around 1978 through 1980

I had a 686-6 with wood grips and a 686 snubie with the finger wood grips back new in 1983 but had sold them unfired a few yrs later sadly regret it every day.

It seems at all my local shops seem to be well over 90 percent semi and I know semi is a popular choice today and probably more widely purchased but I would love to see a greater selection of revolvers,Especially some older pristine S&W that may come in on trade.

I do see many used old pristine semis but Nothing of a good old pristine revolver such as the S&W or New for that matter.

Perhaps you guys have greater selection in your neck of the woods but starting to think every body is semi freaks and for got about the good old work horse revolver and how purdy they are.

I see a few members here coming across them but never seem to happen over my way,kinda sucks and feel heart broken, but may be I am just feeling my age.:(

Thanks for letting me ramble and having my wheel gun therapy

Last edited:

Lolgasm

I think that semis are fun to shoot at the range and for home defense due to high capacity. But for concealed carry, a revolver wins every time. I just wish I could afford the snub S&W 500 mag. That would get tucked into a shoulder holster or an IWB in a heartbeat :D Only problem is that Id have to buy jeans three sizes too big to fit in in my waistband

passintime

I started off being a semi-auto fan, and while I still love my semi-autos, there is something about my revolvers I just trust more/like to shoot more.

guns008.jpg

guns011.jpg

Plus, I have found myself carrying that detective special more and my .380 less. :D

rauke

Hello, djohn!

I guess you could call it a sign of the times.

Remember the old Mark Twain saying, "If you can't solve your problem with six shots, you are probably in the wrong line of work?"

Well, living in today's modern world makes a lot of us seem to be "in the wrong line of work", whether we like it or not; though it can always be argued that a good man with a revolver can always get things sorted out.

There was a time I relied on an S&W J-frame for personal defense, with one speed loader as a precaution; now, unfortunately, it's a G23 with an extra mag, plus a BUG.

Times have changed. It seems there are a lot more risks out there nowadays.

But that doesn't stop me from digging my wheel guns out of the safe on weekends, just to get back the taste of more elegant times.

Cheers!

BigJimP

Its probably my age too - but I've always been a big fan of the K and N frame S&W's in .357 mag and .44 mag - especially the older model 19's, 27's, 28's, 29's and 66's .....(especially in Nickel).

I just picked up another model 19 4" Nickel / and a 4" model 66 stainless about 30 days ago ( paid about $ 750 for the pair, I think ...). A little polish / a litte cleaning - and they are very nice guns ....

I think I'm up to about 15 older S&W revolvers now in .357 mag alone ....and at some point, I have to quit buying these orphans - but its difficult...

I am sure I will make my second gun a semi-auto just for variety and licensing's sake (so I can carry either one), but I knew deep down that a revolver was going to be my first gun :) Nothing against a pretty semi-auto, but I just can't get worked up about the cold, typical look of a non-revolver. Not yet, at least.

I like the history, elegant line, and weight of my wheel-gun - and I feel like it fits my personality better than even an top-of-the-line pistol.

Don't worry, the love of revolvers is alive and well - even for first-time owners :)

Doyle

I can show you proof posive they are not dead and forgotten. Just go over to gunbroker.com and see what S&W 29, 629, and K22's are going for. It's enough to make a grown man cry (especially when the grown man is trying to buy - not sell).

djohn

Yes I have seen them on gun broker and some at buds but I sure dont see them at the little guys shop.There is one shop I have in mind thats about twenty minutes drive from me that has just about every Kimber,Les Baer,Springfield,Glocks and H&k,Walthers,smiths and probably many others I'm forgetting and then the racks of Riffles.I think I can only count the revolvers on one hand perhaps half a hand just seems wrong.If I do spot any nice ones along the way going to jump on them when I can or at least a layaway.

Last edited:

Jart

Single actions seem to be enjoying a resurgence.

Snub nosed "J"s are moving well and there's probably two active LCR threads at any point in time.

Service type DA revolvers do seem to be taking it in the shorts but that's only one segment.

Also, S&W has seen consistent growth in revolver sales since '02. Much to the chagrin of those who hate the Recent Feature Which Shall Not Be Named.
Ruger is a see-saw and I have no numbers on Taurus / Rossi. Still, overall, they're selling. I would guess counter space to be roughly 25 to 35% revolvers to autoloaders which is about right based on totals of the two platforms.

My local dealers seem to have a fair amount of round stock. One in particular generally has a half-dozen to dozen PC product at any point in time along with a fair load of "Classic" and standard S&W. Rugers sell when they show up and the Judge, for reasons which quite escape me, is flying off shelves.

Casimer

GunBroker is a good source for older revolvers. But if you're hoping to find a shop w/ a selection of these, you may have to do some prospecting in your region. My best local sources tend to be small owner operated gun shops - typically in small towns and villages.

GunBroker has a forum that seems to attract a lot of dealers. If you were to post there for some recommendations on shops in your region, you might get some good tips.

stevieboy

I'm a revolver guy. But, I understand why semiautos have outsold revolvers to the point of crowding them out of the market. The plastic frame semiautos are cheaper than good revolvers, they hold more rounds, and they're easier for a beginner to learn how to shoot reasonably well. Being able to shoot a double action revolver accurately or any revolver in single action without flinching is a skill that doesn't come instantly to most. But, just about anyone can blast away at a silhouette target from 7 yards with a semi and feel good about putting a bunch of rounds within a foot or so of each other.

I take great pride in my ability to shoot double action revolvers accurately and I love the aesthetics and ergonomics of revolvers. I own a bunch of them and, as of yet, I've not purchased a semi auto. Having said that, my next purchase will be a Ruger SR 9. Not because it will compete with my revolvers (it won't!) but because I've decided that a striker fired semi-auto holding 17 rounds +1 will occupy a niche that none of my revolvers can fill.

P-990

Lots of revolver love here!

Just since January I have found a 4" S&W M-18 .22LR in 95-98% shape, and a 4" M-19 .357 in 90-92% shape. All I can say is, I wish I had found K-frame revolvers when they were cheaper. What awesome shooting instruments. I found these at small, local gunshops that I stop into regularly. One of the shops has a S&W M-60 stainless Cheif's Specia .38l, pinned, sitting on the rack. I think about trading for it at least twice a day. :eek:

I cut my pistol-shooting teeth on DA and SA .357s, and have a serious fondness for anything with "S&W" and "Marcas Registradas" on the frame.

The only autopistols I really like are 1911s and Glocks. And I refuse to buy a 1911 until I can afford what I want. Which may be a while if these revolvers keep popping up.

But I notice the used racks are where the revolvers keep popping up lately. And it seems the inventory of new semi-autos is always changing.

rcurry

The Love of revolvers and where did they go

The love is all around you in the revolver forum!:) If I tell the truth, it's the only type of handgun I have ever handled. (I am a very open minded girl and promise at some point to at least sample an auto) I grew up with revolvers and that is what I love & feel comfortable with.

I had a 686-6 with wood grips and a 686 snubie with the finger wood grips back new in 1983 but had sold them unfired a few yrs later sadly regret it every day.

No disrespect at all is intended, but I have always been confused as to why a person owns a gun and doesn't ever feel the pleasure of shooting it. Perhaps as an investment?:D I don't know.

My view on life and the items I have aquired is "if I can't enjoy the use of it, wear it, eat/drink it then it really isn't mine."

Note for my kids (and they are well aware of my hearts intentions) Anything and everything that they may be left after I'm gone will most certainly be
" used, abused, enjoyed, and well broken in with all of my heart" :)

mechawreck

My first experience with a handgun was a Kahr semi-something in .40 --I didn't like it! Jammed every three shots and couldn't hit my target from a mere 4 yards!

My next try was with a S&W airweight, and well... we just clicked from that day forward. I'm just flat-out a better shooter with wheelguns, and they're the only handguns I use. Simple and reliable methinks.

djohn

rcurry

Well I never fired them because I had all intention of them being as collectors one day and to be honest back then I had about 12 handguns and a few rifles,Some I fired and some I choose to keep them in the box new.Then my hobbies took a turn for the worse my friend and I started building muscle cars and harleys and I sacraficed all the gun collection for money.That did not work out so good,I soon found out how expensive that hobby is and learned from that mistake,Not to start a hobby that its expense exceeds well beyond the income.

Bones507

If you put a stock 686 in front of me alongside of the newest slicked up dooded out semi, i would take the 686 every single time. I own 3 semis counting a Mk II , i have no plans to add to it. I will buy a single action at the drop of a hat though. I just love six guns, always have, always will.
I have a Glock and a Beretta but i hardly ever use them, i will take a single action with me to the range on almost every trip though. My two Blkhwks will both handle auto rounds without the nuisance of picking up the shells.
And to me the old saying is true : If you need more than 6 shots at close range you are probably dead anyway.

Chettt

I've mentioned this before but S&W and Ruger should come out with an entry level .22 revolver priced in the Buckmark, Neos cheap .22 semiauto price range. If you get people started with revolvers they'll buy your company's centerfire models as well. I know there won't be much profit initially on the entry level ones but brand and platform loyalty will payoff long term.

passintime

I agree with that Chett. I think that is a market Ruger could really do well in. And thanks for the compliments, djohn.

I am new to the revolver thing and really can't believe what I was missing.