the life of a primer?

Grizz12

I was going through some old boxes and found some primers. They have been boxed up (factory primer boxes) for the past 10 years but some of them are just laying on the bottom of the container they were stored in, outside of the factory boxes and rolling around.

The look like new but I was wondering if there is any way they cold have post their punch since they were not in boxes?? Anyone know???

chiefr

As long as they were kept dry, they should go bang. I would prime some empty cases and checke them out in your rifle or pistol.

SL1

Loose primers are never a good idea, because there are too many things that can make them go "bang" unintentionally.

As for how well old primers will work, I have some CCIs that are about 40 years old, and they still work fine for reliably igniting accurate loads.

However, I did have one of those recently show a crack in the cup that leaked a little black residue when fired in a mid-pressure load. So, there may be some age-related embrittlement of the cups over that long of a period since manufacture.

SL1

Slamfire

I have found nothing definitive on the shelf life of lead styphnate primers. I have found information that indicates that heat will cause primers to dud, apparently there are “high temperature” primer applications. Primers are used as igniters in lots of things, examples are explosive bolts, parachute cutters, fuses, etc.

As long as the sealant still covers the primer cake, it should not absorb moisture. Primer cake is made wet because once it dries out it will go bang. I have never tried but it may be possible to get primer cake wet and it would probably malfunction till it dries out.

I did ask an insensitive munitions expert about the shelf life of primers, apparently it is so much longer than gunpowder shelf life that it is not an issue.

Given that the safe shelf life of single based powders is 45 years and double based 20 years, at room temperature, but less than months if stored at 150 F, gunpowder shelf life is the limiting issue in ammunition storage.

Go load them up and shoot them.

As has already been said, loose primers are BAD!!!!!!!!!!

However, as to age, if stored in reasonable conditions, it is looooooong!

I recently took some primers which had come my way, and tested them and every one went bang with gusto!!!!!

These primers are old enough to have been packaged in wood trays rather then plastic.

I have seen such primers before, but when I started reloading in the 60s the primer trays were plastic.

I am in the process of going through some loading stuff for a friend that has passed, and again, am seeing some old stock.

I use the fresher primers that I have more knowledge about as to age and storage conditions for hunting and social issues, but for banger or practice loads, if they go bang, they get used.

Loose primers, get rid of them.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

RC20

Old primers work fine. I just sued some to shoot a 1 1/4 inch 6 shot group with a 1917 Eddystone (the powder was also so old it came in the old tin can)

That said they are dangerous if loose as stated.

However, if they are loose, just put them in empty plastic (now) primer trays and use them as needed.

I would use newer primers for critical loads like hunting and HD but I have yet to have one not fire.

Wyosmith

I don't know, but I can tell you I have personally fired ammo from US military manufactures that was dated 16 and 17. (30-06 and 45 ACP)
It was about 10 years ago, so that ammo was over 80 years old then, and it shot just fine. All was as good as new as far as I could tell.

Those were old corrosive primers not today’s non-corrosive types, so I'd have to say we probably don't have proof of that information yet. None of us are old enough to be able to say yet.

I'd have to assume they last a very long time if kept cool and dry.

I can't say that all primers will last that long, but I have to assume American primers that were stored well will probably last longer than we will.

wogpotter

I have found nothing definitive on the shelf life of lead styphnate primers.
I'm not sure how you go to there from the OP, but if they really are lead styphnate then you'd be making corrosive ammunition when you used them!

One more thing to check, are they corrosive or non corrosive?

Othere than that I'd not worry about age so much as storage conditions. I've used 30+year old CCI 200's with complete satisfaction.