The last WAP

Farmland

I knew the day would come when I finished my last WAP, Winchester Action Pistol gun powder. I loaded the 2,000 rounds today which claimed the last few pounds that I had. I thought it was a very good powder and used it in both my 40 and 45.

Now I have to transition over to Silhouette. I just wish I knew who sells Ramshot locally. I guess I will have to put that on my list of things to find out.

Is there anyone out there reloading with Silhouette? How does it meter because that was another fine point of WAP?

I had a lot of WAP, probably more than one person should of stored at one time. I had to laugh the price on the can was $12.95. Do you remember those days?

Sevens

I guess I'm a bit confused. Did Winchester discontinue WAP? Is this why you have to transition to Silhouette? And why would you transition to a powder that you haven't ever tried (my assumption since you don't know how well it meters)

What's the name of Winchester's newest pistol powder?

I do remember the days of those prices. There are PLENTY of folks on here that have been doing this much longer than have I, but my first pound of powder cost me $13.25. (it was a can of Hercules Bullseye)

Farmland

Yeah WAP is long gone. Ramshot is suppose to be the same or close to WAP.
WAP was a great powder and I bought around a hundred pounds when they announced they were ending it. In the long run is has been a great saving though my wife was not happy at the time.

Ramshot S is suppose to be the same or close to it. So yes I have to transition to a new powder since Winchester has nothing even close to WAP.

It never hurts to get some opinions on powder though when it comes down to it the final word will be said buy the reload and the gun.

Sevens

Yeah, a hundred pounds is a lot of powder, and it looks like even more when you do the math for the $$$ expenditure. But you won't find anyone in THIS forum that will argue with you! :D

I use Power Pistol in 9, 10 and .38 Special. I haven't tried it in .45 because it seems a bit out of line with the charge weight that it asks for. And I don't do .40, but I'm sure it would work well for that chambering also.

I find that it meters extremely well. It's available in 4-pound cans, though I can't seem to find anyone that has these. (surprise surprise)

D. Manley

The last WAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew the day would come when I finished my last WAP, Winchester Action Pistol gun powder. I loaded the 2,000 rounds today which claimed the last few pounds that I had. I thought it was a very good powder and used it in both my 40 and 45.

Now I have to transition over to Silhouette. I just wish I knew who sells Ramshot locally. I guess I will have to put that on my list of things to find out.

Is there anyone out there reloading with Silhouette? How does it meter because that was another fine point of WAP?

I had a lot of WAP, probably more than one person should of stored at one time. I had to laugh the price on the can was $12.95. Do you remember those days?

You will be very happy with Silhouette. Ramsot will confirm it's precisely the same product as WAP albeit, with additional flash supressant added. If flows through the measure like powdered water and in my guns, is the equal to any powder for 9MM accuracy. The little I've shot in .40 was very good as well, I have not tried it in .45.

rc

I still have a few bottles left from about a dozen I bought in 97 right after it was discontinued.. It's good powder but I've found other stuff works similarly. You might try AA#5 if you can find it local. rc

freakshow10mm

Ramshot Silhouette is the exact same powder as WAP. Winchester dropped WAP in favor of WAC, Ramshot rebranded WAP as Silhouette and is selling it now.

WAC, Winchester Auto Comp, is the newly released Winchester powder, also known as SMP-224 to the OEM trade. It's used in a few of Winchester's factory load. I've used quite a bit of it and Hodgdon's data is pathetic and weak. It's dirty and inconsistent even at published max. You will have to go above published max to get any usable performance. I was thoroughly disappointed with it.