The Kahr Revolver

Shadi Khalil

If there is gun maker that I would like to see make a revolver, it's Kahr. The attention paid to aesthetics and the simplicity of the operation make them the most revolver like auto in my eyes. I personally would love to see an all steel j-frame sized revolver. It would be interesting to see what kind of trigger they could come up with, considering their DAO triggers are probably the best out their (IMO). It's far fetched but one can dream, right? Anyone else think Kahr would make nice revolver?

Ashlander

You bet. They developed their guns mostly to be backups for cops and security types who, at the time, were using revolvers as their primaries. So they tried to make their trigger pull feel as much like a double action revolver as possible -- even the shape of the trigger screams revolver. It's a smooth pull, but heavy enough to prevent accidental discharging of the firearm in tense situations. Great design.

Shadi Khalil

Exactly, Ashlander. I'd love to see that transferred over (or revert back?) to a revolver. I work in marketing and we kick around a lot of ideas for whatever product or service we are trying to sell. I wonder if the idea has ever been kicked around at Kahr?

Ashlander

Shadi: No wonder you love Kahrs -- you're a marketing guy. OK. Put yourself back in time -- all these cops and security types were trained on revolvers and now the bosses are all looking at the new semi-autos as replacements -- more capacity, easier reloading, blah, blah, blah. Well, these cops hated the triggers on these semis -- the first pull was stiff (that's OK) but the follow-ups were all mushy but light -- for fast follow-up shots. Well, these guys were used to aiming -- not just spraying and praying --which is what you get with high capacity and easy reloads. They did not necessarily see the value in fast follow-up shots -- that missed!

So Kahr markets a gun whose entire claim to fame is -- it's simple like a revolver -- and hey, you'll love the trigger. Notice too -- Kahr never did the double stack thing with its mags -- never bought into high capacity.

Well, times have changed and the semi is here to stay. A new generation has trained on it and appreciates the advantages they bring -- and high capacity, easy reloading and fast follow-up are advantages, but we can forgive our fathers and uncles for trying to hang on to their revolvers and they way they handled.

bigghoss

I suppose there might be room in the market for a snubby that's all metal and doesn't weigh 10 pounds (SP101, I'm looking at you) and doesn't have a stupid internal lock (Smith and Wesson. tisk tisk) and is of quality manufacture (pretty much the rest)

I already have the SP101 but I don't carry it much since it's the same dimensions as my glock 26. About the only time it goes with me is for discrete woods carry.

I was thinking about a .357 LCR but I don't have much need for one and I refuse to buy a gun with an internal lock on principle alone. That's what cable locks and gun safe's are for.

TennJed

I have wondered why Beretta doesn't enter the DA revolver market. They make everything else (Semi, SA, Rifles, Shotguns).

Nitesites

Never thought about that but yeah, a Kahr revolver would be cool. I have wondered about a Glock Safe-Action revolver though. No, really. Think about it. The current trend is in lockstep with Glock design.

Taurus-Rossi and Charter Arms make all kinds of revolvers. All kinds..polymer, aluminum, steel,stainless steel, titanium, DAO, DA, 9mm, 40mm, 380,45C, 45ACP, 410, anodized in all colors, ported,and they are not expensive like a Kahr would be. As for a break top there are lots of old H&R's that go for a song.

Shadi Khalil

Ash, I don't think me being a marketing guy has anything to do with me liking Kahr's. I was a single stack auto/revolver guy long before I was a marketing guy. Also, I think the Taurus Judge is a silly concept and that's a marketing guys dream gun :)

Seriously though, its clear the small, concealable revolver still has a place in today's self defense market. Even with all the tiny autos out there today, guns like LCR and 642 are still big sellers, according to my LGS's owner. Unfortunately, the marketing guy in me knows I'll probably never see one. Kahr has a concept, the small, pocketable .9mm, that went from being a niche to a staple for gun owners. And then there are the production cost... Oh well.