The Kahr K40: Just how good is it?

j-framer

Hi everyone,

There's quite a lot of opinions and information floating around these boards about Kahrs, but much of it deals with the super small/light versions, particularly the PM9, which is understandably very popular.

However, I'm interested in those of you who own specifically the K40 model. What do you think of it? #1, is it reliable or not? Are there any reliability problems associated particularly with early production runs, or did the "birthing pains" just afflict the polymer-framed guns?

After that, any other input welcome.

Is it only my imagination, or is the K40 not all that popular in general? I would have expected it to offer a compelling alternative to prospective purchasers of the Sig P239 .40, since it offers one less round in a smaller package that still handles well and lets you get your entire hand on the grip.

orionengnr

I have not heard of any reliability issues with the steel-framed Kahrs. The only reason I don't own one is that they make them in 14 oz poly-framed versions. I own two of them :)

j-framer

Eureka! A response, at last!

If this isn't the most unpopular thread in the Semiauto Forum at present, it's got to be a close runner-up. :rolleyes: :D

On a serious note, thanks for the input, orionengnr. I wish I could get the poly Kahrs as well as the MK series steel ones, but I'm stuck with used K-series here in MA. Still, they are darn small for the calibers they chamber and are among the most compact major-caliber guns available either new or used in this state right now.

I've heard several people characterize the K40's recoil as "decidedly unpleasant", "harsh", etc., as I'd expect based on the gun's size. At least it's all steel; how are the plastic P-series ones to shoot? Seems like quite a handful.

j-framer said:

Is it only my imagination, or is the K40 not all that popular in general?

Seems the K40 doesn't, after all, have much of a following (or else I don't). :D :D :D

Fireatwill

Kahr 40s

Hi, I owned a steel framed Kahr years ago. It was the economy model in 9mm. Easy to shoot. I currently have a CW9 and a PM9. With good quality HPs I don't see the need for a forty in a small pistol. I think most of the bugs have been worked out of the poly framed guns but I think they are somewhat fragile. I say this because I look in the rental display case at my range and the Kahrs are often out for repair. They only rent the poly models.

I know I'm a little off point here so take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

Gabriel's Hobo

I have a very early K40 that I bought new in about 1996 or 1997 when they first came out in .40. This is a great little pistol! I've probably put about 1000 rounds through it, of all types, with no problems. I used it in a couple of IDPA matches for fun, with my scores about the same as with my G35, which I no longer own. The K40 just feels so right in my hand I don't really realize how small it is. I have had NO malfunctions with assorted factory ammo or handloads. It's a great carry gun because of its size and the fact that it is FLAT, not chunky like a Glock and doesn't have levers and things to poke me. I have complete confidence in mine. The only problem I have right now with it is my wife feels the same as I do about it and I have therefore "lost" it until I can find her something she will (hopefully) like better. I really can't tell much difference in recoil between the .40 and the 9mm and I like the bigger hole. To each his own.

obiwan1

The reason that you don't read much about them is that they are great guns! No issues (except for a little excess weight). After break in mine has been 100%. It likes its lube and I use a touch of grease (militec1) on the rails. 155gr/1200fps Rem or Federals shoot about .5" high at 7 yards. It carries very well and I use a DeSantis Cozy Partner or a cheapie belt clip Bianchi (only for appendix carry with which I'm experimenting). It's not my primary CCW (my issued P2000 is) but it's one of my low profile deeper concealment guns. It's super in Thunderwear/SmartCarry (when I REALLY need to be low profile). :D

Trebla

The Kahr K40 is an excellent choice.

The K40 was my first Kahr and I had my suspicions just like you. I took my then NIB K40 to the range and put 550 rds. thru it then came back the next day and put another 550 rds. thru it. My K40 performed flawlessly without any malfunctions. Mind you I never cleaned it or applied lubrication during this break in period. I don't recommend you or any one else to do this but I wanted to perform my own torture test to satisfy my curiousity about it's reliability, it made me a believer. I used assorted brands of ammunition being FMJ and JHP ranging from 135gr. to 180gr. I was astonished by the accuracy of this very concealable pistol with just enough weight and girth that gives you that real gun feeling in your hands. Unlike the Glock pistol, Kahrs are very thirsty semi-autos, so make sure that you keep them lubricated in their designated areas. I would still have my K40 but I walked into a local gun shop one day and they had a Model 13-2 3" that I just had to have. I am going to buy myself either another K40 or K9 with Tungsten DLC finish as soon as I build the slush fund back up again. I hope this helps.

j-framer

My appreciation to everyone who posted. Thanks, it is a big help.

Glad to hear all the positive reports on this gun. I am going to seek out a used one here in MA.

tackdriver

I've never owned or shot the K40. I did get suckered into buying an MK-40, though.
It was the sloppiest pos gun I've ever owned. The fit was so bad that with an unloaded gun and the magazine removed, moving the trigger would rock the slide on the frame. :barf:
It was ultra concealable and served it's purpose (I was covering a court case involving motorcycle folks smuggling meth where some of the accused didn't like my writing). But it was an inaccurate mess -- truly a belly gun.
I just happened to walk into the right gun shop when looking to sell my CZ-75B (huge mistake) and found a clerk there who was head over heels to own the MK-40. I gave it to him for what I paid for it and walked away with an XD-9.

Keep in mind: I could have sent it back and didn't. I've known other people that had the steel 9s and loved them.

Signed,
A gun owner who went through four pistols before learning to shoot and conceal the 1911