The Joys of a New Load

Dave R

Went varmit hunting the other day with a new load I worked up for my .223.

Had been using a 45gr. Sierra spitzer softpoint over 26gr. of H335. Shot pretty well for me, and had decent terminal performance.

But I haven't been able to find that bullet, lately. So I tried a 40gr. Hornady V-Max over 27 gr of H335 (worked up to that load, of course.)

Noticeably more accurate. I made longer hits more often. Significantly better terminal performance. It disassembled the varmits in a most satisfying way.

Isn't it a hoot when a new load increase your enjoyment of the sport?

Sevens

Isn't it a hoot when a new load increase your enjoyment of the sport?
Are you kidding? It's the BEST part of reloading, which is (in my opinion) even more enjoyable than owning/collecting/shooting in the first place.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that getting an "idea", gathering the components, putting some rounds together, and then getting them on paper, watching them feed and function, show safe at inspection, print tight groups on paper and THEN perform on target is a HOOT! :D

jtuck

Sevens said:
Are you kidding? It's the BEST part of reloading, which is (in my opinion) even more enjoyable than owning/collecting/shooting in the first place.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that getting an "idea", gathering the components, putting some rounds together, and then getting them on paper, watching them feed and function, show safe at inspection, print tight groups on paper and THEN perform on target is a HOOT!

That is my favorite part too. I'm thinking about buying a new rifle just so I have something new to load for.

James R. Burke

It's great hearing good, and fun posts. That's what it is all about. Having fun. I love making up new loads to try, that is the best part of it. Keep having fun!

D1lazarus

I have been running 50gr V-max rounds at 25gr of H335 and it makes prairie dogs go splat real well. I won't even say what it does to little ol' gophers.

The next load I need to work up is for 50gr Varmint Grenades out of an 18" 1:9 if anyone has some suggestions or has a pet load info would be great.