The H&K USP

BlueTrain

I was looking over things in a gunshop yesterday when one caught my eye. It was a used H&K USP in 9mm. It came with one extra magazine.

There aren't that many references to this model here, possibly because it is an expensive thing when new, although Colts were pushing $1,000 and most other things there worth having were in the $600-$800 range to start with. So I was wondering what other people thought about the gun.

This one was the version with the safety-decocker that also allows cocked and locked. It had a relatively decent DA trigger and as far as I could say, a decent single action trigger, although I've never been especially sensitive to good or bad triggers, except for Nagant revolvers. It has a very business-like look to it, although it as chunky as a Glock (no offence intended), but still manages to be a very light pistol that really isn't overlarge, unlike the Beretta. Still I expect there are thinner pistols out there. A Browning Hi-Power, for instance.

Personally I think it is a "right sized" pistol and suitable for all purposes, at least for anything a 9mm is up to. After all, the mountain lion is officially extinct in the east and it has been at least five years since anyone saw a bear in this county. And I have yet to see a feral dog anywhere (but I have seen bears). Besides, I'm holding onto my .357.

I gather that they aren't all that common, judging from the lack of comments here about them, or perhaps there's an H&K forum.

Coltman 77

HK makes very fine handguns. Accurate and reliable to a fault.

I have several HK sidearms including a USP .45C which I sometimes carry.

I've discovered quite a few HK fans here since I joined, BTW.

The HK Pro Forum (linked above) is a great place to exchange information with other HK aficionados. :)

PSP

My very first HK was a USPc. It was so well made and easy to shoot well that I sought out other HKs. I found my full size USP, a used but fairly new 2008, waiting for me in a local gun shop case, sporting an obviously incorrect $400 price tag. When I was finally able to stop grinning I told the clerk "I'll take it".:D This is the same shop where I found my '95 P7, in outstanding condition, complete with four mags for only $550. :D:D I love that store.

HKs are great guns. So well made and reliable. Can't go wrong.

ejhc11

Sig Sauer also similar

I have a Glock 9mm and wanted to get an HK USP since I always liked HK. I tried the HK USP to a Sig Sauer 226 at the range and for me the Sig was more natural to shoot and was more accurate to me. Surprised me, so if I had to get another I would go Sig for me. Try them out on the range they are priced similar and both very nice.

Oh, I love my Glock 2nd generation and its brutal trigger - I shoot better than the Sig. :D

Wasper

I bought my H&K USP V3 .40cal back in 1995. Many rounds later I have never had a malfunction. I bought my H&K P7M13 9mm back in 1989 with the same excellent results, zero malfunctions. Well engineered and reliable weapons in my personal experience.

deeHKman

I have had USP's since they first came out. I went and shot my carry Glock 19 and my HK USP .45 s/s. THe HK's are extremely reliable and accuracy that for me is stellar. The Sigs no offense but i had one dealing with their Customer Service on two 226's no help my German Engineer looked at them and told me the problem i got rid of them. He had a German 226 that was a fine Sig.
Plus the USP's recoil reduction system is great i shot .45 +P felt mild to say the least. The newer HK's like the P30 have more ergo.'s but my USP's work very well, OP you should try the 9mm i have one in s/s and check out the HKPro forum very nice and members know HK's, good luck;)