The guns of IPSC

C7AR15

I haven't shot a IPSC match in 25 years. Just wondering what everyone is using these days ?
Used to be Minor 9mm and Major .45 with .38 Super being loaded real hot to make it to Major. The 1911 ruled the major category with many makes and models in 9mm .
There was always a equipment race going on in IPSC so just wanted to know what's working in 2020 .

RickB

.38 Super is (again) as dead as Julius Caesar.
I haven't shot a (USPSA) match in over ten years, and last time out, it was still 2011 variants dominating Limited in .40, and Open in 9mm.
Seems like there's been a lot of movement toward CZ75 derivatives in Production, after being dominated by Glocks and other striker-fire guns for years.
Single Stack has all but killed Limited 10, and neither seems to be very popular.

Jim Watson

Pardon me for using USPSA Division names, converting to IPSC is left as an exercise for the student.

9mm Major Open, .40 Major Limited.
A good deal of 9mm Minor Limited even though the experts squeal "you can't win."
Leading guns are 2011 pattern with a lot of small expensive brands, STI has backed out of the competition market. I hear about the CzechMate but have not seen one in action.

Production and Carry Optics are all Minor, no reason to shoot anything but 9mm.
CZ and Tanfoglio are the present leaders with a fair number of Sig P320X5 Legions; Walther and Beretta trying to get into the game but none seen here.
Still a fair number of Glocks but heavier guns are definitely the fashion.

BillM

Pacific Northwest:
Open-- 9 major, 2011 pattern, variety of manufacturers.
Limited--40 major, 2011 pattern.
Production-- Sig P320 X5 Legion, various CZ/Tanfo's. Still quite a few M&P's, Glock etc.
Carry Optic--this division is growing fast! Lots of X5 Legions, some M&P's, Glocks etc.
PCC is also on the rise. Sig MPX and various AR based carbines.
Around here participation in Single Stack has a few participants.
Revolver a bit less than Single Stack
Limited 10 is pretty much dead.

74A95

The Front Sight survey of the 2019 Nationals shows that in Open Division 38 Super and 38 Super Comp comprised 46% of shooters. 9mm was 52% of shooters.

I don't think this fits a description of 38 Super being dead.

RickB

Wow. Maybe because the go-to 'smith in my area had 9mm Open guns running before a lot of others; he said he hasn't built a Super Open gun in years, and that was a few years ago.

T. O'Heir

"...equipment race..." Games, shooting or otherwise, are like that. IDPA is the same.
The "Minor 9mm" is because of Cooper's daft ideas.