• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

The Gun Show Please Lock Old or Sold Items!

Should we lock old threads or SOLD items in The Gun Show?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taylorce1

Love this part of the forum and have got some great deals on it but I'm tired of seeing old post brought back to the front. Some of them that I've seen recently have been 6 months old if not older. Can we get for sale items that haven't had a new post in 30 days or if the item has been Sold locked?

It sure would be nice so we didn't have to sort through so much trash to find things we are looking for. Once they are posted sold not sold pending funds lock them. The pople involved can post on the exchange in the Feedback forum or we could start a good and bad guys list with a sticky in the area we got the item from, to allow for details on the transaction.

bclark1

Yea, but...

Deals can fall through. You never know if somebody's still got something sitting around though. Stranger things happen. It also allows communication, feedback, etc. I don't think it's that big a deal. So I voted against locking old or sold. The benefit I see to locking the posts though is freezing the transaction for history. Privacy interests are minimal in hiding the price of the sale once the sale itself is visible. I personally think the value of being able to readily access market value of a particular item significantly outweighs any personal interest in removing the price post-sale.

taylorce1

I think you missed the point of my rant. Even if the thread is locked you can still contact the OP by use of a private message to see if it is available. If the OP says the item is "SOLD" then he has received payment and the transaction is complete. "SPF" does not count as a completed transaction. I never said anything about deleting the price as well. The post should be there for research if someone wants to search.

We have a Feedback section that people can use to post about their experiences good or bad there. Or we can start a "Good Guys" "Bad Guys" list and have it as a sticky at the top of the page just like the rules.

look at the original date of the post guys, and then use some common sense.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292985&highlight=look+at+the+date

Might want to look at the date it was posted. Long shot but more than likely sold.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279606&highlight=look+at+the+date

sorry first post and i didnt look at the date,its 2yrs old. i aws just excited to find a ak in mi for sale
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276954&highlight=look+at+the+date

Even I forget at times when I've sold an item and people bring it to the front when I sell things because I forget to mark it sold. It would be nice if the OP could lock the post or request it be locked.

bclark1

Oh I was just saying in terms of the OP removing information after a sale. That's more of a policy than a software issue though. As far as allowing the seller to lock their own threads, I have no problem with that. I agree that the mods shouldn't bear that burden though, and indeed letting any person other than the seller decide when a thread is "dead" would be iffy.

Mal H

Staff
As far as locking all Gun Show threads that are X days old, that can't happen - at least not automatically without adding a hack to the software. There is no provision for that function in vbulletin - I certainly wish there was, it would be very convenient, but there isn't.

Having participating members lock their own threads is a good idea and we have allowed that for quite a while at THR. Sellers will lock their threads after a sale about 20% of the time, not very good use of the feature, but it helps a little.

I will implement member locking of their own Gun Show threads here and see if it actually gets used.

BTW, polls serve no purpose here in the Suggestion/Tech Support forum. Only reasonably stated arguments will sway the Staff on suggestions, and not enough members read these threads to make them worthwhile even if we did take notice of the poll - I've closed it.

taylorce1

BTW, polls serve no purpose here in the Suggestion/Tech Support forum. Only reasonably stated arguments will sway the Staff on suggestions, and not enough members read these threads to make them worthwhile even if we did take notice of the poll - I've closed it.

I didn't think the poll would do any good but they are fun somtimes!:D Besides I know it was a bit of a rant on my part. Thank you for allowing us to lock our posts when the items sell.