The Glock 26, how to...

TinyDee

I am considering a Glock 26 but admit to wondering just what you would add to the pistol? I am a big guy with large hands and that is a consideration. All I have read indicates the Glock is a fine pistol but I would like advice on this. Yeah, my first Glock too...

OcSpeed

I'd say you'd want a gen 4 with all the interchangeable backstrap sizes. I think that's all that's needed but fiber optic sights might be nice too

joe-lumber

Also think about the added finger rest with the Pearce Grip. Yesterday I shot my new 26 and found that I was a better shot with the finger rest than without on the magazines. I tried shooting with one magazine without the finger rest and felt that it torqued it somewhat in my hand and was a bit off the paper target. Now I am getting finger rests for all my magazines. Will also try a Glock 19 magazine next week to see how that works.
J

Revoltella

If you have large hands, the Gen4 inserts will allow you to customize the grip for your comfort. The thinner one makes the grip the same size as a Gen3 and the larger one mimics the grip of their .45 acp models.

I added Glock night sights to my 26. Grip extensions like the Pierce ones aren't necessary. Just practice with your pinky under the mag like it was designed. If you need a longer grip, get a 19, because you're going to lose the 26's concealability advantage anyway.

pilpens

+1 on -
Glock 26 Gen 4 + grip extension + backstrap to fit hand.
Maybe better front sight (FO or glow in the dark).

baddarryl

As the 26 is not a pocketable gun, I sold mine and got a 19. IWB it is just as concealable, better grip, longer sight radius, 5 more rounds. To me a no brainer. I added night sights to mine and that is it. The Gen4 back straps are nice. I really wish Glock would come out with a single stack pocket 9.

BarryLee

I’m also a little bigger than average and was very concerned before I bought my G26 Gen4 that the grip would be too small. Even before I shot the gun I purchased grip extensions and skateboard tape to improve the grip.

So, my first trip to the range I was amazed at how easy the gun was to handle without any of these “fixes” installed. In my experience my pinkie hangs off the bottom, but so what. When I concentrate on the sights, target and trigger control I never really even notice the grip.

Depending how big your hands are, I'm going to assume they're chunky. I'll recommend a grip force adapter so you don't get slide bite.

My other personal recommendation, is skip the back up sidearm and more to your primary sidearm for CCW. A Glock 19.

Ruger45LC

Definitely a Gen4, try it out different ways to see which one you like the best. The grip is somewhat short, and your pinky will likely hang off then end of it, but that won't hurt it being able to shoot accurately.

You should try one out before you buy too, and while you're at it try a G19, you might find you like the feel of it better. I love the baby Glocks, but my favorites are the G19/23 size, they carry just as easily and hold more ammo.

Learn to utilize the short reset on the trigger, once you do you and get comfortable with the trigger, you'll find that Glocks shoot great. Most who say otherwise just don't know how to shoot them accurately.

The stock sights are so-so, I replaced all mine with the Ameriglo I-dot night sight, which has a much nicer sight picture IMHO.

NWPilgrim

My Gen 4 G27 with the large backstrap insert is a perfect fit for my large hands. I shoot better with it than my Gen3 G23.

My only addition is Ameriglo night sights with orange front post (green front vial and yellow rear vials). Trijicon HD are excellent night sights as well.

Trijicon HD are excellent night sights as well.

You should try one out before you buy too, and while you're at it try a G19, you might find you like the feel of it better.

my favorites are the G19/23 size, they carry just as easily and hold more ammo.

Learn to utilize the short reset on the trigger, once you do you and get comfortable with the trigger, you'll find that Glocks shoot great. Most who say otherwise just don't know how to shoot them accurately.

This is all full of perfect advice. ^^^

AK103K

I have Gen 3 26's, and all Ive put on them have been three dot night sights, which I add to anything that will take them anyway. Other than that, I would leave the gun alone.

I tried the Pierce extensions early on, and found they pinched my hands while shooting, and REALLY pinched my hand while reloading. More of a distraction than a help. Once you get used to your pinkie being wrapped under the mag, and using your middle and ring finger for the grip, I think youre going to find its very comfortable and the gun is very shootable.

The other problem with the extensions is, they make the gun bigger, which sort of defeats the purpose of the "smaller" gun in the first place.

While they are a little chunky, they are definitely smaller than the 19. I usually carry mine in an ankle holster, something I cant do with my 19's. I also have a Galco Executive shoulder holster for the 26 that works very well. I dont carry pocket gun in my pockets, so the 26 isnt going there either.

If you arent sure, Id recommend you try all three sizes and see what feels best and will work best for you. I have 17's, 19's, and 26's, and personally, I dont get the purpose of the 19's. Hey, its all a matter of personal opinion, and the only way to know, is to find someplace that has all three models on hand, and get them in your hands, especially side by side, and see what you think. If you can shoot them, even better.

ClydeFrog

Glock 19 gen 04....

If you have large hands or are a larger size, you may want to consider a Glock 19 gen 04 instead of a Glock 26 pistol.
If you want to choose a Glock 26 sub-compact, Id look at www.glockstore.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glockbooks.com www.trijicon.com www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.policehq.com www.grafs.com .
For carry or protection Id add Trijicon or XS night sights & maybe a Xgrip extended magazine. After market barrels are popular; Storm Lake, KKM, Bar-Sto, LoneWolf Dist.
In my view, you really do not need to add a lot of parts or gadgets to Glock carry pistols. There are good add-ons & features but they are not a requirement.

For carry or protection, Id suggest using factory ammunition only, no reloads or hand-loads. For the 9x19mm sub compacts, Id carry the Speer Gold Dot +P 124gr JHP, the Ranger T/T Series 124gr +P, Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr, PowRball 9mm, Magsafe SWAT, DPX.
For cleaning, Id buy LPX, Gunzilla, Ballistol, Weaponshield & use Hoppes #9.
CF

Ozzieman

I have big hands and I have owned my 26 for over 10 years and thousands of rounds and never got bit by the slide.
I also don’t understand someone saying that the gun is too large to conceal. I carry mine in the pants and don’t have a problem and my belly is large.
True a 19 will carry more rounds but if you put an extension on any of the larger magazines you have a 19 with a shorter barrel.
Photo 0123 is a 15 round 26, I think it’s a 17 mag. The 26 with this magazine is one of the best balanced 9mm guns that I have ever felt. At home it has this in it.
0124 is a standard 10 round with the pinky finger extension. I won’t own a 26 mag without them.
0125 is a 17 round G26 (G34 magazine). There is no grip cover for the bottom of the mag but in fact it’s not that uncomfortable.
To me the 26 is the best Glock 9mm you can buy. The barrel length difference does lose some velocity but the smallness and better caring capability more than makes up for that.
I haven’t handled a Gen 4, 26 but I do own a Gen 4, 34 and the back straps are a great addition to the Glock line up.
Get the 26, you’ll be happy with it.

Last edited:

Cemo

I like that the 26 conceals just a little easier, but I am able to draw the 19 faster as the grip is a little longer. So I carry the 26 in the summer and the 19 in the winter. Actually I carry the .40 S&W versions, the 23 and 27.

Revoltella

I carry my 26 more often in my pocket than on my waist.

If you have large hands, you may find the spacing between the finger grooves on a 19/23 crowded. My 19 was never as comfortable in my hand as my 17 or 26. I hear they've fixed that with the Gen4, but I have no need or interest in another 19. The 17/26 combo does everything the 19 does, better.

ParabellumJ

get a descent set of night sights and a descent holster.

^^^This. Then shoot the fire out of it. If you still think you need to modify it after that then the choices are endless. I keep my Glocks simple. Night sights, lots of magazines, .25 cent trigger job and ammo, ammo, ammo.