The glock 19 fires fine totaly submerged in water..

Axion

Is it firing blanks? I'd always heard that firing a gun underwater would cause the barrel to bulge.

Wisby

I just watched a show on T.V. a few days ago where they submerged a 1911 Springfield GI and shot it 3 or 4 times under water. The first shot cycled and the 2nd stove piped. They cleared and put it back in the water and shot it two more times IIRC or maybe it was once more. I was really impressed with how far the bullet went after seeing the Mythbusters fire rounds into water.
After they got done they pulled it apart and the barrel was bulged a bit. They said they could feel it with there hands but you couldn't see it with your eyes on the T.V.

281 Quad Cam

Almost any quality 9mm semi auto can fire underwater.

The key is using the correct ball ammunition, JHP will cause a big problem.

Glock also sells spring cups for the 17 which may or may not fit the 19. They are really for firing in wet conditions - but any 9mm Glock will fire underwater in stock configuration with proper ammunition.

Hell I've even seen a video of a Sphinx CZ clone firing underwater, went a whole magazine without a problem.

But all that aside, don't try it.... Why would you?

HisSoldier

Patrick Sweeney fired a 1911 underwater several times too. About the only thing a 1911 can't do that a Glock can is burn (plastic is made out of oil ya know).:)

Alleykat

Nah, there's something else a 1911 can do that a Glock can't...rust! ;) You don't suppose Patrick Sweeney was actually shooting a real 1911 with real bullets, do you?

HighValleyRanch

This is GREAT NEWS!
For those times that I'm in the soapy bathtub, and the bad guy comes in unexpectedly.
You know, like those old cowboy movie scenes.:D
HVR

Ozzieman

I wonder

What the chamber pressure is since you have the column of water in front of the bullet,,, I.E. the bullet weight just went up to a couple of thousand grams. And remember, water can NOT be compressed.
Just because it can be done is not a reason to do it,

tplumeri

For those times that I'm in the soapy bathtub, and the bad guy comes in unexpectedly.
You know, like those old cowboy movie scenes.

thats why i bought a stainless vaquero!

TBT

I have several 1911's and several other guns, one of which is a Glock. I am always finding a spot here or there on the 1911's but never so much as anything on the Glock. So in my experience Glock does not have the issues of rust that other guns (1911) do.

HisSoldier

Well, none of my 1911's has had rust problems either so maybe it's not a "1911 rust problem". Some of the stuff people say on the internet.:rolleyes:

standerson

Brother in Law carries a Glock on duty.

"It will fire underwater!"
"When's the last time you heard of anyone being shot underwater?"
Blank look followed.

joshua

Oh! Man! That is great! Maybe one of these days I'll go scuba diving in great white infested waters and I'll have my G21 strapped on my side.

What do you mean there is no use for an underwater firing handgun? What if those little mermaids become infested with the zombie virus? Then don't come crying to us... We hate to say, "We told you so". :D josh

Last edited:

packa45

If your 1911 or any steel gun for that matter is rusting then you are doing that gun a grave injustice........shoot it for christ's sake and then clean it. Have we become that bad to make our best firearms safe queens?!! Hit the range and take all your guns...yeah ammo is pricey but c'mon these are our tools of life so let's give them some rounds...they will love you for it.

*posted on behalf of the "Get out and shoot me" firearm alliance.

TBT

Well, none of my 1911's has had rust problems either so maybe it's not a "1911 rust problem". Some of the stuff people say on the internet.

Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues but that doesn't mean that other people haven't. Some of the stuff people say on the internet ...

All I was saying is that in my experience the Glock seems less prone to rust than other guns. I wouldn't call it a problem really. I love my 1911's more than life itself. And I do need to get them out more often ...

brickeyee

"Nah, there's something else a 1911 can do that a Glock can't...rust!"

Must be the Glock with the ceramic barrel, plastic slide, plastic guide rails, and all the plastic springs and fire control parts...