The gamo shadow 1000

hunter33

I am having problems with my gamo air rifle i can not get a good spread with it when i first got it i was getting and 1/4 in spread at 50 ft with it now im getting a 3 inch spread and this is with open sights i am very upset what do i do? I think it might be the pellets or maybe not broken in i have probably shot around 60 shots through it.m gonna be getting different pellets for it to see what shoot best.Any help will be appreciated a lot thanks-Jett.

Glock19Fan

From what I understand, the spring in those pellet rifles may loose a bit of strength over time, or with shooting. I have no idea if it is true, or how long it takes, but 60 shots isnt that much.

I think the tolerances may be loosening up in your rifle, and while it may be broken in, you accuracy may not get any better, and may just go for the worse.

Of course, there are many, many variables to consider, so on a fresh day, bring several kinds of pellets, a good rest, be sure of ideal weather conditions, and see what you can come up with.

Good luck!

jlmurphy

air rifle

The spring can take a set and lose a small amount of strength, but without a chronograph you would never notice the difference. It usually takes a at least 100 pellets ( some say 500) to break in a spring piston rifle. The seal has to mate to the compression chamber walls, the spring has to match the spring guides, burs on the trigger, it takes a while. When the rifle was assembled, a lot of lube was used, probably too much, if any gets in front of the piston seal, it will detonate when fired (diesel), you may notice a small amount of smoke. Of course, occasional dieseling will throw a pellet out of a group. Also, good pellets make a huge difference in accuracy. Go to the Airgun Forum for info, and then Pyramid Air for pellets. I use Crosman Premier Lites or JSB pellets. Quality air rifles are a whole new world. Have fun.

MDman

I had the same air rifle, I found the best pellets to be the yellow beeman ones. I was never impresed with the accuracy from it, and your situation might just come down to a bad day of shooting. up untill about 2,000 rounds the air gun was hitting squirrels at 50ft. but after that the accuracy went to crap and I sold it.

hunter33

MDman im not sure what pellets your talking about they do not carry a yellow pellet.Can you find out the names that work well in the gamo?and thanks