The F difference

grubbylabs

My owners guide says to use FFG powder but the shop where I bought the gun said to use FFFG it is real BP. Is there going to be much of a difference?

Smokin_Gun

What's the gun?

If you let me know what gun you have it would help some... :O)

It'll make a differance ... by me it could be said anyway. Much? Depends on the shooter I have to say.
(not much, still accurate)

Rusty.it

The name is Wano?
Probably named like the worst powder produced in europe:)
Here we all use swiss powder, (like we all use vithavuori like smokeless) the cleanest and hot european black powder
In italy the price is pratically the same, for Swiss, German; French, there is a imported product from a east europe country that i don't remember wich, more cheaper but it isn't always available, so the shooter choice the always present on the desk shop Swiss powder:)
(i can't make comparision with geox or other USA powder why aren't imported here)
ciao
Rusty

darkgael

$

Rusty.it: If you don't mind, what does a pound of Swiss (or a kilo or etto or...?) cost you in Italy?
Just curious.
Pete

B.L.E.

The stuff they sold me is a German import I cant remember the name right off.
Schutzen?

FFFg will work, especially with the lighter loads.

It's all the same stuff, just smaller granules. During the manufacturing prossess, black powder is compressed into cakes and the cake is ground up and then the different grain sizes are separated by screens. The stuff that falls through the finest screen is 4F or higher. I have heard of 7F but it's not easy to find.

mykeal

It's probably Schuetzen. Decent powder, competes with Goex, less expensive than Swiss.

As to your original question: use 2f with any rifle larger than .50 caliber and 3f with pistols, revolvers and any rifle smaller than .50 caliber. Either will work well in a .50.

The difference is measurable but not remarkable.

Pahoo

Some Buckskinner buddies of mine, swear by FFFG on their .54's and you will insult them by suggesting anything other than real BP, in Traditionals. "They" claim to get better performance and suspect that in part, it's due to burning as much powder in the tube than outside the tube. They do hunt with this load as well and don't just punch paper. Cannot argue, nor would I, with their success. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Rusty.it

Rusty.it: If you don't mind, what does a pound of Swiss (or a kilo or etto or...?) cost you in Italy?
At the present time i pay the swiss 60 euro for a kilo, but i'm lucky to live near "Repubblica of San Marino" that is a small indipentent nation iside Italy, there is a trade agreement with italian government, so is normal buy gun ammo and powder there, i know that in other part of Italy a bottle of swiss black goes from 70 to 90 euro kg (i think at present the change rate is around1,4USd for 1EU)
ciao
Rusty

grubbylabs

Shcuetzen is the stuff. So I will be fine shooting the 3F though the gun, it wont explode in my face or some thing like that?

Andy Griffith

If I am correct, there is 2.2 pounds to the kilo.

That is roughly 31 Euros a pound, and right now a Euro is worth $1.489.

That translates to $45.88 a pound!!! :eek:

I think I'll stick with Goex for $13.10 a pound (by the case), which euqals 19.35 Euros per kilo.
Or $10. a pound for the Brazillian imported stuff by the case of 25, which I've heard that is good, but a bit dirtier than Goex. (I haven't tried it yet.)

grubbylabs

Cool thanks for all the help, I am used to another archery forum where every one attacks each other rather than helps each other. So this is a nice change.

Rusty.it

That translates to $45.88 a pound!!!
Yes sir, may be you don't think that, but life here is expensive, many things produced here like firearms replica is cheaper for you than me, and the factory are just around the corner for me:mad:
A colt navy made by Uberty cost to me 270 euros, at your gived change are 402$, something less for a pietta about 220 euros
ciao
Rusty
(PS 1lt of gasoline in italy is sell at present time for about 1,3euro, more than 7$ gallon)

eastbank

i use 60grs of fff in a 58 cal. mini ball rifle and like it better than ff, seems to burn cleaner and as my rifle is bored tight it makes it easier to load for repeat shots, just my take on it. eastbank.