The destruction of freedom in pursuit of perfection?

Jeff Thomas

I am sure others have expressed this concept more eloquently than I. But in conversation over the last few days I have begun to think that our developing political absurdities may actually be a natural result of the unparalleled good times America currently enjoys.

I don't presume to suggest that all of us are enjoying wonderful, wealthy and unblemished lives. But, when taken as a whole, human society has never prospered as Americans do now. American citizens enjoy medical care of tremendous quality and accessibility (in spite of the wails from our Democrat friends). Our technology is granting fantastic improvements in productivity, quality of life and education (for those who take advantage of the resource). We generally eat as much as we want, with tremendous variety of safe and nutritious food. And, when we fight the wars our leaders pursue, we have become so superior with our technology that in the last decade we have waged war in a devastating way upon our 'enemies', with negligible loss of our own troops and equipment. The economy seems to know no bounds, and our stock and bond markets soar nearly to the heavens.

Sure, there is trouble, and we still have many unfortunate people who do not enjoy many of these great benefits. But overall, our current society's prosperity and success sometimes seems almost surreal.

Now consider how we react to crime, terrorism and various violent acts. While in the past such acts would generate a hue and cry for capture and punishment of the perpetrators, now we turn to legislation and lawsuits. Instead of seeking justice for the transgression, the media, our politicians and various (usually liberal) groups seek to change the system. Adopt new laws, restrict old freedoms. After all 'if we can save one life', 'we'll do it for the children', 'this should never happen again' and so on.

So, I wonder. Has our society reached such a successful state that we can no longer tolerate any failure? Are we seemingly so close to perfection that these blemishes stand in even bolder relief than they would otherwise? In sum, will we sacrifice the freedoms that led us to this great prosperity and progress in a vain attempt to complete the 'perfection'?

Our current debate regarding firearms, self-defense and freedom may not only be critical to our survival as a nation, but it is also a fascinating study in the psychology of American culture. I wonder if we will return to a realization that relinquishing freedom cannot buy security? And, for that matter, I wonder if a good old-fashioned recession might refocus Americans on reality?

Or, am I just totally off base, and wasting band width? ;)

I wonder.

I don't think you are off-base. The success of our nation has made the population complacent. However, I don't think it's any desire to be perfect that is driving the lawmakers feeding frenzy we see today.

Bureaucracy is done for it's own sake, not for the benefit of anyone but those who make and enforce the laws. Politicians make laws because the people need to see them doing something, right? And they would rather pass a bad law than be seen as slowing down "progress".

The collective common sense of the nation is seemingly out for lunch, leaving the politicians in charge.

Sure America is the best place in the world to live. But then I bet the Roman Empire was a pretty good place to live (for Romans) before it fell.

------------------
Peace...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Jeff,

It would probably take another Great Depression for America to regain reality. After all, a family of four with an income of $15,000 is living in poverty. Most of the world would kill to be so poor.

Have you looked at the texts for history, political science and civics in the public schools lately? Don't just focus on the bias and what is omitted. Focus on the writing style also. Then look at what else is available in these subjects and compare.
It appears that a conscious attempt is being made to produce the most boring texts imaginable in these subjects for public schools. This is why I have come to the conclusion that government involvement in education is a clear and present danger. The government is attempting to indoctrinate the public.

DC

Moderator Emeritus
KAM pretty much nailed it. Complacency.

Recall the statement by Sen. Gephardt during the Clinton impeachment proceedings: "This is the worst Congress....we've made and passed fewer laws than any Congress in 60 years".
Making laws and regulations is how they prove they are doing their job...it makes no difference whether the laws are just, make sense or actually accomplish something, the mere fact that they authored a bill is self-justification for their existence.

Personally I wish Congress were more like firefighters: they sit around, and fix their equipment and respond when needed for fires or med. emergency. Understand this is no slam on firefighters, I'd hate a situation where they had to do their job every single day. I have no problem paying for their ready availibility. Thank God, firefighters aren't like Congress...i.e. creating work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed--hence clamorous to be led to safety---by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.....HL Mencken 1920[/quote]

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Danger Dave

KAM,

Rome was a great place to live IF:
1) You were a Roman Citizen (only males eligible)
AND
2) You were rich

It stunk to be a peasant, soldier, or slave. The Roman Empire was built and maintained at the expense of the less-priveledged masses. And it collapsed under it's own weight.

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

Grayfox

A good economy can hide a multitude of sins. I know a retired investment banker (it's ok, he's really a good guy) and he has told me that it took forty years for the stock market to reach 5000 but only five more to reach 10,000. In his opinion, the market is out of control and will "Self Destruct" within the next few years. When the fall comes, the great depression will look like a picnic.
I admit that I know absolutely nothing about the stock market, but I know this man and I respect his opinions. The good times have gone on much too long and the party will end when the house collapes under the weight of the of it's own revelers.

Christopher

Pthfndr,

I think a more accurate analogy would be as follows:

Nero burnt down Rome and played the fiddle during the fire, and then blamed it on the Christians.

Clintler is destroying America by his actions (too many to go into detail, but I'll just mention treason, malfeasence, etc..) And then blames the gun owner/wealthy/conservative/... you get my point.

Heil Clintler!

Covert Mission

Wise thoughts Jeff. As another man wiser than I said (paraphrased) "If you trade freedom for security, soon you will have neither"

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited July 17, 1999).]