The delicate DA Colt...

SaxonPig

Not in my experience.

Made in 1909 and has seen heavy match use for many decades. Still tight and accurate.

standard.jpg

From 1924 this Army Special saw many years service with the St. Louis PD and God only know how many rounds it's fired in the last 93 years. Finish is all gone but still functions perfectly.

standard.jpg

Shipped in 1931 and used by several generations of "Bullseye" shooters this revolver works just fine to this day.

standard.jpg

A 1934 Army Special in 32-20. At some point someone bulged the barrel (I have seen many 32-20s with bulged barrels, no idea why) and cut it off at 3". Otherwise still works great.

standard.jpg

This OMT dates from 1950 and was carried by a cop for many years before being used for match shooting for many more.

standard.jpg

Can still keep 'em on the paper...

standard.jpg

thibaultfelix40

I bought a Colt Police Positive that was made in the late 20's. I had two reloading manuals and decided to start reloading 32 Colt New Police aka 32SWL. The data in both manuals was bad. I started out at the minimum and loaded 50 rounds. They were as loud as my 357 but I shot all of them (duh). I cut back 10% and kept reloading and shooting. Accuracy was terrible, the bore was severely leaded. A guy showed up at the range with a chronograph and let me check my 90 grain load. It read 1135 ft/sec. Now 32 NP isn't supposed to do that. I got to thinking and checking how many bullets I had bought and came to the conclusion I had put 50 proof loads and about 1500 +p+ loads through a little 70 year old Colt. If you want to claim Colts are tough, I am not going to argue. The gun is still tight as a tick.

Howdy

A few more 'delicate' double action Colts.

Army Special from 1921.

Army%20Special%201921%2004_zps98lmznvs.jpg

New Service. 45 Colt from 1906 at the top, 44-40 from 1907 at the bottom.

New%20Services%2045%20colt%20and%2044-40%2001_zpsocqpe42p.jpg

A group of Police Positive Specials. Left to right, 38 Special from 1922, 38 Special from 1932, 32-20 from 1926, 38 Special from 1952, Police Positive Target, 22 RF from 1936.

Police%20Positive%20Specials%2001_zpsafp5r8jt.jpg

Officer's Model Target, 22 RF from 1935.

Officers%20Model%20Target%2022%2002_zpsk7viyxzs.jpg

This Official Police from 1940 is the only one in the bunch I have had any trouble with. Couldn't open the cylinder for love or money the other day. Took it apart and found the latch pin was frozen in place from old, hardened oil. Quick application of CLP freed it up, then a thorough cleaning to remove all the old oil and lightly relube and it was good as rain. Knocking over soup cans with it at the 25 yard berm yesterday. From a rest of course, I ain't good enough to be able to do it offhand.

OfficialPolice02_zps4d506a73.jpg

SIGSHR

Biggest drawback to those old Colts is, as Dfariswheel would point out, the design is such that each part really performs more than one function and requires a much more refined "touch" in disassembly and re-assembly. Now if we could just arrange a seance with J. Henry Fitzgerald....

UncleEd

How many of those fine old Colts shown have been shot extensively
in fast double action "combat" scenarios?

As such, the loads are not really the issue.

The problem with the old Colt revolvers is that if something goes wrong, it's becoming next to impossible to find someone who has the spare parts and knowledge of how to fix them.

I'm VERY careful about checking for function with any Colt I'm looking to buy. With a Smith, not quite as much because parts are generally (depending on model) far more readily available and they're a lot easier to work on.

BBarn

Had an Anaconda many years ago. Suffered from poor cylinder timing. Even after a minor correction, it lost timing again in a very short time. Although I wanted to keep it because I suspected it would be sought after some day, I got rid of it. I simply have no interest in firearms with inherent problems or poor accuracy.

A friend acquired one about the same time and still has his. As far as I know, he's had no problems with his.

tallball

Like Driftwood, I have a 1921 Army Special. The finish on mine is not as good. It still has a nice trigger, better than the S&W's I have from that era. The rear notch sight is also better shaped (squared off).

salvadore

Is there such a thing as a 1934 army special?

I've done a little ball peen work on the colt revolver. A couple where the hand was worn, and one that allowed the cylinder to turn clockwise. All were repaired easily and without new parts. It's not rocket surgery.