The Defenseless Society Marches On

40ozflatfoot

So, here we go again. What I want to know is, how are they going to enforce it? Roadblocks, with full occupant and vehicle search?

The Washington Times
www.washtimes.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firearms ban proposed for parks, centers
Published 4/22/2002
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Two Northern Virginia park authorities are proposing to ban firearms from hundreds of parks and recreation centers, a move that would sidestep a recent law passed by the General Assembly.
The Fairfax County Park Authority and the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority are revising their rules and regulations for the first time in more than 20 years.
Regulations already prohibit a park visitor from possessing a firearm unless it is dismantled or contained within a closed case. The revised rules state that "no person, other than a law enforcement officer, shall possess a firearm or ammunition in a park."
Besides handguns, shotguns and rifles, the regulations also would prohibit patrons from carrying pellet, BB or paintball guns. Anyone violating the rule would face a fine of up to $250 and immediate ejection from a park or recreation center. Violators also could be prevented from using park property or services in the future.
A state law enacted this year strips local governments and their agents of the power to adopt rules banning firearms from local government buildings. The law specifically targeted an Alexandria ordinance that banned weapons in public facilities.
When Democratic Gov. Mark R. Warner signed the measure into law on April 4, he said he wanted to ensure that localities didn't use administrative mechanisms to skirt the intent of the Virginia General Assembly.
But park officials say the law does not apply to park authorities. "We are not a municipality," said Judy Pedersen, spokeswoman for the Fairfax County Park Authority. "Our position is we are an authority and we are allowed to enact a regulation to [ban firearms]."
The Fairfax County and the Northern Virginia park authorities operate under the 1950 Virginia Park Authorities Act, which allows them to adopt regulations to protect property and the safety of park visitors. They were created as independent agencies, granted the power to buy and sell land and finance their own bonds, and are not subject to oversight by any other authority.
"We're not trying to infringe on constitutional rights in any way," said Jack Robey, director of park operations for the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority. "We just don't want firearms to be readily accessible [at parks] so somebody in the heat of passion could use [them]."
Members from both park authorities are to hold a joint public hearing on the proposed rules tonight at Fairfax High School. Board members for each authority are expected to take final votes on the new rules in June.
Todd Adkins, deputy director for state and local affairs for the National Rifle Association, said he plans to urge board members to reconsider the proposed regulations.
"It is explicitly clear that local governments and their authorities are not allowed to regulate firearms" under the new law, Mr. Adkins said.
Hunters who simply drive through parks and happen to have guns stored in their vehicles would be targeted unfairly, Mr. Adkins said.
The new regulations contain some exceptions for park activities, such as managed deer hunts, and for hunters who take disassembled weapons through a park to access the Potomac River.
The Fairfax County Park Authority operates 387 parks — including recreation centers — on more than 20,000 acres. The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority runs 19 parks covering more than 10,000 acres in Arlington, Fairfax and Loudon counties, and the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church and Fairfax.

Copyright © 2002 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20020422-86343761.htm

Mike in VA

The Fairfax bliss-ninnies are at it again. My wife and I often walk on the bike path and in some of the local parks. By and large, the parks are safe. However, on more than one occasion we have come across groups of 'kids' smoking funny cigarettes (or worse) or groups of punks with 'attitude'. Mostly we keep our distance and try to ignore them. Needless to say, there isn't a cop in sight. To date, nothing has every happened, but I know a potentially dangerous situation when I see one. I have no interest or intention of bothering anyone, nor do I have any desire to be a victim. I have a valid VA CWP. These people need to get a clue, we are NOT the problem.

dischord

About 10 years ago, I almost was on the jury in a case of a woman who was dragged off the bike path in Rosslyn and raped and murdered in the stairwell of a nearby apartment building just off Lee Highway about two blocks from the Key Bridge Marriott.

(I'd be interested in knowing why I didn't make the cut.)

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
People speed on the roadways because the positives outweighs the negatives.

If you speed...
You will get to your destination faster.
If you drive safely you aren't hurting anybody.
It isn't likely that you will get caught.
If you do get caught, you might just get a warning.
If you do get caught and are issued a ticket, you just pay a fine and keep driving.
Anyone violating the rule would face a fine of up to $250 and immediate ejection from a park or recreation center. Violators also could be prevented from using park property or services in the future.
If you carry a cased gun (like in a fanny pack)...
You will have protection if you need it.
You will feel safer for having your protection.
If you carry responsibly you aren't hurting anybody.
It isn't likely that you will get caught.
If you do get caught, you might just get a warning.
If you do get caught and are cited, you just leave the park, pay a fine and keep going back.

The penalties seem miniscule compared to the risks of being killed while unarmed.

astound

Let's just restrict "The heat of passion" in public parks and charge 250$/ violation.That way when someone breaks that rule and tries to assault you and your family you won't be disarmed.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
"We're not trying to infringe on constitutional rights in any way," said Jack Robey, director of park operations for the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.

Really? What would you call it, then? "Trampling" constitutional rights? Perhaps "denying" constitutional rights? You knob. :rolleyes:

"We just don't want firearms to be readily accessible [at parks] so somebody in the heat of passion could use [them]."

Oh, hey, right! I forgot about that! The presence of guns causes you to use them when you get hot under the collar. Why, due to all the loaded guns in the apartment, my roommate and I have shot each other dozens of times during petty disputes or disagreements.

Jeezus pleezus, we've been reduced to a nation of pedagogues passing rules suitable for preschoolers.

longeyes

as Pink Floyd said

"Teacher, leave them kids alone!"

Too bad the schoolroom is this nation and too bad the kids R us. When does the mass application of Ritalin start, I'm wondering? Or is that what TV is for?

jimpeel

"We just don't want firearms to be readily accessible [at parks] so somebody in the heat of passion could use [them]."
But if someone does bring one in and use one in the heat of passion we don't want other people to be able to defend themselves. This way, we get the maximum number of kills, no one will be able to "stop the violence" but us, we get the credit for "saving" countless lives, and we make the case for the need for even more gun control. A win-win situation for us.

Remember, everyone, gun banners need victims to justify their existence; and they will do anything they can to maximize the number of victims to their side of the ledger.

C.R.Sam

They were created as independent agencies, granted the power to buy and sell land and finance their own bonds, and are not subject to oversight by any other authority.
Not subject to oversight by any other authority ???

I can't believe the gall and pomposity contained in that statement.

40ozflatfoot

Remember, everyone, gun banners need victims to justify their existence; and they will do anything they can to maximize the number of victims to their side of the ledger.

Agreed. Just ask Vince Foster, or the surviving Branch Davidians.