The Deer Die Tonight

Adventurer 2

and if I believe the billboard I saw - the murderers are going to use a blood dripping semi-automatic. But if I believe the news the hunters will use suppressed rifles after the park closes. I'm talking about Shawnee Mission Park, KS. Overpopulation of deer. I hope they get the sorry buck that stopped my birdie shot on hole 3. Just kidding, I hope he gets away and can read and follows the directions I left for my hunting unit. Honestly, the protestors tactics (the billboard and blocking access to the park) really turn me against anything they have to say.

Why do the powers that be tell the public they are going to thin the herd?

Buck.jpg

Does.jpg

Dr. A

Got them running out of the back yards back there, don't you? My sister lived in Shawnee, and there was never a shortage back then either. Can't believe anybody is against hunting them! We need to hunt them locally in town here as well (Salina)

Adventurer 2

Dr A - the estimate is 200 deer per square mile in the park.

My annoyance isn't the deer but the leader trying to stop the culling - last I heard, he was carrying a decaying deer head around to demonstrate how evil deer control is.

Attachments

• deerhuntbillboard.jpg
    deerhuntbillboard.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 126

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Protesting any sort of rational control of wildlife populations is nothing new. About a hundred years ago, Zane Grey went bonkers against hunting mule deer in the North Rim country of the Grand Canyon. Hunting was stopped. The deer herd quadrupled. Then came a really serious die-off to way below the carrying capacity of the land, from which the herd didn't recover for decades.

Animal rights protesters are emotion-driven, and will fight you to avoid being exposed to facts.

Jseime

Yeah, I always use a semi-automatic freaking pistol when deer hunting, I find that limiting my range to 15 yards is a real challenge. :rolleyes:

"Person is smart, people are stupid" is a saying I heard recently, there should be laws keeping these vegans from getting together.

The billboard says something about non-lethal means, well you can take the overpopulation of deer from here and put it there, but that doesnt matter to us because its no longer our problem. :confused:

The people from PITA oops I mean PETA should be sent out there to rope and re-locate the animals if they dont want them killed.

TriumphGuy

If hunting was legal in the suburbs, I could bag four or more by tomorrow morning. The killer is that when I drive out into the country to visit family, they're nowhere to be found. I think they're getting smarter and moving to where the highest concentration of hippies live.

comn-cents

there should be laws keeping these vegans from getting together. They probably get together and eat Slaughtered Deer!:eek:

Steady52

The thing that bothered me about this herd reduction is the way the county and park department went about it, and the thousands of dollars it is supposed to cost the tax payers. The meat is supposed to go only to charity or help feel the homeless. All fine intentions, but they are using tax payers money to do it at a time when funds are already stretched thin.

Why not let select hunters thin the herd? It could be set up so the elderly or disabled could bag a deer. Or if it has to cost the county money, let the local grocery stores sell some of the meat to help cover expenses.

It boils down to letting the nanny state take care of a problem that could have been handled at the private level at little or no cost to tax payers.

Osageshooter

They are unbelievably overpopulated in Shawnee Mission Park. In fact, in this part of Eastern Kansas, we are in the middle of an "early firearms" season. It is just for the area between Kansas City and Topeka. Deer and people are frequently killed when they meet on the road. Bow hunting can't keep the population down in this area, hence the extra, early rifle season.

Glad to be doing my part last weekend and this coming one.

bclark1

Wait I'm confused? It stated "non-lethal methods, not slaughter" Non lethal methods of what?

Herd control. Such as expensive, ineffective deer birth control. Which does nothing to manage the herd from a quality standpoint, it just prevents some of the dumber deer that receive it from having babies.

I never got this either. It's not so bad where I am in Ohio now, but I still see a fair number of deer in the parks, even in urban areas.

In Illinois it was ridiculous. My fiancee's family is in heavily developed suburbs about ten or fifteen miles west of Chicago. Where did a deer damage my car first? Not backwoods Wisconsin, but on Cermak road in the 'burbs. Deer everywhere. Not much better in Central Illinois, where people lost their gourd when they opened a frighteningly overpopulated chunk of park to bowhunters.

It's a shame. Best for the deer, the state budget, and drivers/gardeners/etc. is obviously hunting. But hunting is cruel and evil, says John Doe as he picks up steak and turkey from the grocery store.

fyrman2007

do they really know what they are protesting about

i wonder if they really know what they protesting about. they beleive its going to be a bloody massacer. but they dont relize that what the hunters doing is taking out surpluse does which are older. and if thing dont happen cwd will come in a take out whole herd. and im sure the dead deer wont be left laying out to rot. they could use it for homless people and lkess fortunate families for food. they already have problems with parasites like ticks killing off the fawns in the summer cause there is so many ticks there that the does cant groom the fawns fast enough to take all the ticks off. chemically birth control is not an option cause it is expensive and only works approximatly less than 40% of the time so if you let sharp shooters or bowhunters come in is the best and less damaging solution to the problem. not just because i am a bowhunter and avid deer hunter i am also a conservationist first. and they way they are going about it testing wise and certification to hunt weeds out the lees desirable hunters that would or could hunt. they only want the best and the safest way to take care of the situation.i go walking out there my days off and i see more deer than i do people walking on average i see 40-50 deer in a 5 mile walk per day thats alot. 100 deer per square mile is alot deer even if they want 50 per square mile is even too much on average in wild there is about 10-20 per square mile depending on the ecosystem that it need for food and cover. deer are so prolific if you had two deer in breeding status with in 7-8 yrs you can have a population of 40 in a herd. because the deer on average has twins per yr . so i hope this might clear things up a bit tcgb