The Cracker Barrel Gun

deerslayer303

Am I the only one that goes in Cracker Barrels and stands at the fireplace trying to figure out what the gun is hanging there? :D My local Cracker Barrel has an old side by side percussion Shotgun. I can't see the maker but it looks old. I get some odd looks standing there looking at them, but hey enquiring minds want to know. :D I stand there an also think thats a sad existence for such a piece :(

deerslayer303

[QUOTENever been to one.][/QUOTE]

Well you Sir are missing out on some FINE VIDDLES! The Barrel has the best Farm Raised Catfish you will ever put in your mouth. Oh and lets not forget the hashbrown casserole, and turnip green. MMM MMM MMM thats fine eatin.

Pahoo

It's in a good home.

I stand there an also think thats a sad existence for such a piece
Slayer,
Think about it a bit more. It's probably not in the best condition nor safe to shoot. It's getting appreciated by whole lot of folks. As a gun, it makes it's presence known and one that no one needs to fear. In it's condition, it's probably in a very good home. .... :)

I once sold an old SideLock to a simular restaurant that was strictly a wall hanger. I double-dry balled it, polished and the brass and have been told that it starts many conversations. I'd rather see them hanging than meeting the chop saw. .. :eek:

By the way, our local Cracker Barrel is not as good as yours. They can't even fry a whole chicken, only strips. .... :(

Be Safe !!!

deerslayer303

You ARE the only one
Impossible, I CAN"T be the ONLY gun nut who has stopped to figure out just what it is a hangin there.

In it's condition, it's probably in a very good home. ....
Yeah Pahoo, You are probably spot on! But still that double barrel looks mighty tasty to me! :D Its Awesome lookin patina, the locks don't look too shabby either, but like you said there is a reason its hangin there. I have stopped in many a Cracker Barrel and they all have a different piece over the fireplace for me to gander at.

Hawg

The Barrel has the best Farm Raised Catfish you will ever put in your mouth.

I doubt it gets any better than at a fish camp;). Closest one is 50 miles away. Just never got around to it.

Pahoo

I guess that makes two of us.

Impossible, I CAN"T be the ONLY gun nut who has stopped to figure out just what it is a hangin there.
I always stop and check them out and even look around for more. This really annoys the wife but getting more use to it. All of the ones I have seen, are in pretty sad shape. ... :(

Be Safe !!!

Beagle333

MY farm raised catfish is the best catfish ever! Raised right here in my backyard, right beside my shooting range. :D
85lbs.jpg

But as for Cracker Barrel.... ours (and any others I have ever been in, come to think of it) has a double barrel shotgun of some old sort over the fireplace mantle. I wonder if it's even a real gun or a franchise prop they give to all of em? :confused: ;)

IDAHOMIKE

Never had the honor of goin to one, but anyplace that's got a side by side hangin is ok in my book. Last time I was in Soldotna, AK there was a place called Sourdough Sale that had a side by side 8 gauge of some sort with a sign that said something like "kills on one end, maims on the other"
Good lookin' farm fish there Beagle. Not much good catfish eating in ID, but theres a place that serves a mean dish of Fried gator.

Hawg

There used to be a Mexican restaurant in Columbus Ms. that had glass display cases throughout. The cases were full of old Colt revolvers, gun leather and silver saddles along with a few rifles and lots of vaquero pics from the old west. They even had a Conestoga wagon on the roof with a six up team of white wooden horses.

deerslayer303

Well Beagle, some of us don't have that Luxury, but as for me, NOT for long. I'm about to stock one of the farm ponds with Blue's :D. I love the old decor of Cracker Barrel, the old hard wood floor etc. But as far as the prop gun, I'm no so sure, they are definitely old, the fore end on this one is very dry and has cracks. The Cracker Barrel near my home town in SC has some form of old Musket, with a BIG bore.

bedbugbilly

A while back my wife and I watched a program on TV in reference to the fellow that purchases the decorative items for the Cracker Barrel chain. I believe it may have been on the history channel or similar. I also think he was located in TN - may be wrong on that but they showed his shop and a lot of the items he scrounges around for to hang on the walls in the CB. Was quite an interesting show.

Never had a bad meal in any of the CB restaurants that I've eaten in. The nice thing is that if you have a little wait before being seated, you can always rock inont of the rocking chairs on the porch out front.

Doc Hoy

DS303

As it happens the "Bible Thumper" and I were in the CB close to us. I happened to notice a shotgun over the mantle which is a dead ringer for the one you are describing.

I like the joint but don't go often because it is easy to get enough of it.

To me the worst thing is the noise.