The cost of reloading my 22-250Rem.

mrawesome22

Hello again everyone. I just did a little pricing of current ammo cost compared to costs of my reloads and here are the results.

I priced a Hornady 50gr VMAX, WLR primer, and a 37.5gr charge of Varget. Since I'm using a twice fired brass, I consider it as paid for itself already so it was not calculated into the cost. So this cartridge combo as of today costs me $.29 a round.

Now the cheapest factory offering using the VMAX was the Hornady offering at a local store for $20.32. That's sales tax included. That's $1.02 a round.

That turns out to be a 3.5x difference in price. In other words, I can load 70 rounds for the same price as 20 factory rounds. And my loads will be far more accurate.

Anyway, I just wanted to do a current price comparison.

VaFisher

Cost factor loaded into our reloading is a bonus for sure. The accurate factor along with savings is a great feeling of achievement.

BigV

Accuracy to me is the biggest factor!
I spent 3 hours last week at the range shooting my Rem. 22-250. I shot over 100 factory rounds out to 200 yards then switched to reloads. Factory Remington 55gr boatail rounds grouped at about 4” to 5”. When I switched to reloaded ammunition my groups tightened up to just under 2”.
22-250 loads = 34.0gr Hodgdon H4895, 55gr Hornaday V-Max bullet, CCI Primers and Winchester new brass.

castnblast

At last check, I was at .26 per shot using 50 gr. Speer spitzers, as well as my 55 gr. Sierra Game King spitzer boat tails...I use my 22-250 for deer as well...Have you guys loaded the Barnes tripple shocks? I know they are longer...They came out w/ a 45 gr. this year, and have a 53 gr. as well, but it's a bit long, since there is no lead core in either...

bill1093

i have a rem 700 bdl sporter i shoot 35.5 grains of blc-2 cci br2 priemiers an 50 gr moly by hornady i can group .25-.50 inch groups at 100 yards to me thats great