The Civil War wasn’t about slavery

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
The Civil War wasn’t about slavery

by Walter Willliams. Published in “Jewish World Review”, 12/2/98

The problems that led to the Civil War are the same problems today -- big,
intrusive government. The reason we don’t face the specter of another Civil War
is because today’s Americans don’t have yesteryear’s spirit of liberty and
constitutional respect, and political statesmanship is in short supply.

Actually, the war of 1861 was not a civil war. A civil war is a conflict between
two or more factions trying to take over a government. In 1861, Confederate
President Jefferson Davis was no more interested in taking over Washington than
George Washington was interested in taking over England in 1776. Like
Washington, Davis was seeking independence. Therefore, the war of 1861 should
be called “The War Between the States” or the “War for Southern Independence.”
The more bitter southerner might call it the “War of Northern Aggression.”

History books have misled today’s Americans to believe the war was fought to
free slaves.

Statements from the time suggest otherwise. In President Lincoln’s first inaugural
address, he said, “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so.

During the war, in an 1862 letter to the New York Daily Tribune editor Horace
Greeley, Lincoln said, “My paramount object in this struggle is to save the
Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery.”
A recent article by
Baltimore’s Loyola College Professor Thomas DiLorenzo titled “The Great
Centralizer,” in the Independent Review (Fall 1998), cites quotation after
quotation of similar northern sentiment about slavery.

Honest Abe Lincoln’s intentions, as well as that of many northern politicians, were
summarized by Stephen Douglas during the presidential debates. Douglas
accused Lincoln of wanting to “impose on the nation a uniformity of local laws and institutions and a moral homogeneity dictated by the central government” that “place at defiance the intentions of the republic’s founders.” Douglas was right,
and Lincoln’s vision for our nation has now been accomplished beyond anything he could have possibly dreamed.

A precursor for a War Between the States came in 1832, when South Carolina
called a convention to nullify tariff acts of 1828 and 1832, referred to as the
“Tariffs of Abominations.” A compromise lowering the tariff was reached,
averting secession and possibly war. The North favored protective tariffs for their
manufacturing industry. The South, which exported agricultural products to and
imported manufactured goods from Europe, favored free trade and was hurt by the
tariffs. Plus, a northern-dominated Congress enacted laws similar to Britain’s
Navigation Acts to protect northern shipping interests.

Shortly after Lincoln’s election, Congress passed the highly protectionist
Morrill tariffs.

That’s when the South seceded,
setting up a new government. Their
constitution was nearly identical to the U.S. Constitution except that it outlawed
protectionist tariffs, business handouts and mandated a two-thirds majority vote
for all spending measures.

The only good coming from the War Between the States was the abolition of
slavery. The great principle enunciated in the Declaration of Independence that
“Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the
consent of the governed” was overturned by force of arms.
By destroying the
states’ right to secession, Abraham Lincoln opened the door to the kind of
unconstrained, despotic, arrogant government we have today, something the
framers of the Constitution could not have possibly imagined.

States should again challenge Washington’s unconstitutional acts through
nullification. But you tell me where we can find leaders with the love, courage and
respect for our Constitution like Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and John C.
Calhoun.
--------------------------------------------------
1) Bold for stress added by Dennis.
2) For those who believe it significant, note that Mr. Williams is a black man.
3) Compare this with what is being taught to our children.
4) Please contemplate our current government and ask yourself whether the
Democrats and Republicans would be willing to turn their backs on over 130 years
of federalist treachery and suddenly return to Constitutional law. Then vote your
conscience - not your compromise.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited June 25, 1999).]

John/az2

So Dennis, Lincoln was not the hero or good guy that we have been taught that he was?

sigh...

------------------
John/az

"They come, they eat, they leave...
"They come, they eat, they leave...NOT!!

Bill Clinton (aka: Hopper) Al Gore (aka: Molt) Janet Reno (aka: Thumper)

Ants UNITE!

Lincoln was the Great Usurper, not the Great Emancipator. His actions to save the 'Union' at any cost had unfortunate consequences. He abrogated parts of the Constitution by usurping powers belonging to Congress, the states and 'We the People.' The result was a strengthening of the actual powers of the Presidency far in excess of the Founders' concept of that office, at the expense of the 'checks and balances' concept, states' rights, liberty and the rule of law.

Lincoln was unjustified in making war on the seceding states. It is a fact that several states ratified the Constitution with the express condition that they could secede at any time for any reason, not the least of which would be an abrogation of that contract.

These points come from historian Richard Gamble's essay "Rethinking Lincoln." You can read a Joe Sobran review of the essay at www.uexpress.com/ups/opinion/column/js/text/1997/07/js9707310699.html .

Lincoln set an unfortunate precedent for the unconstitutional usurpations of the contemporary presidents, from Franklin Roosevelt to the current occupier of that office. War on state sovereignty in 1861 - 1865 is only different in degree from war on national sovereignty in 1999.

------------------
Slowpoke Rodrigo...he pack a gon...

[This message has been edited by Slowpoke_Rodrigo (edited June 25, 1999).]

bookkie

Although this was not taught in grade school, I did pick up on this when I took U.S. History in Jr. College. I studied the civil war era extensively as I was fasinated with it. No the war was not about slavery, but about state's rights. And Lincoln was not the hero, but the bad guy. Since that time I have gotten in many debates with the brainwashed kids who believe that the civil war was all about slavery. Guess today, most of us here would have been on the souths side.

Richard

Futo Inu

My understanding, from my ninth grade history class (so, for what it's worth), is that the "War between the States" began and was waged "to preserve the Union", and indeed had little or nothing to do with slavery, and everything to do with economics/land. But then, after the morale of the North's forces began to sag awhile into the war, a new battle cry (propoganda tool, in essence) was needed to restore morale. So, "to free the slaves" was actually used at the time, but only as a more or less invented slogan to stir the emotional fires of the Northern troops.

Perhaps since I was in ninth grade (1983), a little "revisionist" history has crept into the history books.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited June 25, 1999).]

Kodiac

John - You been watching BUG'S LIFE?
:)
Pretty good observation...

The Grasshoppers living off us Ants...
The question is... Who is Flik?

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Danger Dave

Well, it's about time everyone started realizing this. While slavery is an evil instution that has no place in the world, it was not the issue that started the War Between the States. The whole slavery issue was a big deal to a few hardcore activists, but to your average Northern soldier, I doubt it was anything they would risk their lives for. I don't believe the majority of Confederate soldiers were fighting to save slavery, either. Your average Confederate soldier couldn't afford to own slaves, so I really doubt they were fighting for the privileges of the rich. Would you?

The Emancipation Proclaimation was largely a recruitment tool for the Northern army. Black soldiers - many of them ex-slaves - WERE willing to fight to end slavery, but not for "the Union". This was a purely political move by Licoln to get more soldiers at a time when many Northerners were growing weary of the war, desertion was high, and it was hard to find new recruits to replace the terrible losses of the first modern war. On the other hand, the Southerners were fighting on their home ground - motivation was not as big a problem (although desertion was high). If the North ran out of soldiers, they would have to end the war, and losing a war you start really hurts your reelection bid...

After, the war, the victors wrote the history books and slavery became the great evil that was destroyed by the great Union army. The result was that school children were taught that the Confederates were the bad guys, the Union the good guys because the south was fighting for slavery, and the north was fighting to end it. I bet you didn't learn much in school about the path of destruction Sherman's army left as they marched to Savannah, or the exploitation of the South during reconstruction. I sure didn't.

Would I have been on the South's side? Absolutely. My father's ancestors settled in Georgia in 1789 after fighting in the American Revolution, my mother's settled during the Irish potato famine. I have ancestors on both sides buried at places like Wilderness, Bull Run, etc. And by the way, much like Thomas Jefferson, my ancestors were slave owners.

Did you know there's a memorial in Alabama to a Confederate unit that distinguished itself in battle? What's so unusual about that, you ask? It was a unit composed entirely of free black men. Do you think they were they fighting to preserve slavery?

Strangely enough, we're being invaded by Northerners again. Now, the economy here is strong, and they're coming here to find jobs! Not a problem, as long as they don't insist on telling us how they did things in Massachusetts and how we should just forget about the War of Yankee Agression... ;)

John/az2

Kodiac,

Yes! (the kids love it) I tried and tried and tried, but all I could do was identify the bad guys! Maybe someone else can identify Flik. ;)

Danger Dave,

In the West we call it "Californication"! :)

------------------
John/az

"They come, they eat, they leave...
"They come, they eat, they leave...NOT!!

Bill Clinton (aka: Hopper) Al Gore (aka: Molt) Janet Reno (aka: Thumper)

Ants UNITE!

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited June 25, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited June 25, 1999).]

I don't agree entirely with Dave's perspective about the emancipation proclamation serving solely as a recruitment tool for the army. That it helped with the creation of coloured regiments cannot be denied. But it also served another purpose.

During our own Revolutionary War, the British raised the slogan, "Freedom to Slaves" which really scared the southern states. Runaways who threw themselves upon the British hearth and were fit to serve were recruited into a special all-black regiment. As if to mock the patriot's slogan, "Liberty or death" the slaves also wore a sash proclaiming, "Liberty to Slaves." The British took their ex-slave turned soldiers with them when they conceded defeat.

It was a lesson which the North did not forget and after a long string of losses, the North resorted to other means to garner support for its side.

Consider international relations. England was wavering and one great fear was English intervention or support for the southern cause. England itself had outlawed slavery and the issuing of the emancipation proclamation placed a moral twist for the Union; thereby creating somewhat of a dilemna for southern supporters in Parliament.

It was also a propaganda tool designed to encourage slaves to runaway, thereby weakening the economy of the south. Go north and be free or stay down south and be a slave. Lest we forget, there were riots in NY city against the draft since many New Yorkers didn't care less about freeing the slaves.

I'm too old to believe the (un)Civil War was fought for a noble cause like freeing the slaves. But it sure sounds good for the history books.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

longhair

and don't forget, that when Lincoln did decide to "free the slaves" he only did so(at first) in those states that where in rebellion. Union held places still had slaves. it was about money. i read somewhere, don't remember, that the money the south made off of agriculture made up the majority of the Us gnp at the time. Lincoln and the northern money men didn't want to lose that source of revenue. and on, and on.....
and no i don't believe that all those Confederate soldiers were fighting for something that the overwhelming majority didn't have...slaves... my kin that fought in that war, sure weren't rich enough to have any!!!!!

------------------
what me worry?

Danger Dave

Gary,
Actually, I think we're making the same point from different sides. The Emancipation Proclaimation was given for political, military, and economic reasons, not for the noble cause of ending slavery. That was the cause of a dedicated few, but not the cause of the war, or even Lincoln's primary motivation. Quite honestly, I don't think most people cared one way or another that Lincoln "freed the slaves" in areas he had no political influence over at the time. Another thought - it probably would have increased desertion in the Confederate armies by creating a lot of worry about what was happening back home (at least among the fairly wealthy).

John,
Welcome to the club! We've had 130 years of it down here. Of course, if you're Cherokee or Creek, it's been a lot longer...

Joe Portale

Hello all, mind if I chime in?

Once we get past the lessons that we were taught in grammer school and look at the reality of the Civil War, it is plain that freeing the slaves was one of the last things on Lincoln's mind. The slavery issue was not at the center of the war. Lincoln had many political debts to repay for his election to the Northern abolitionists that were threatening to pull their support in the next election. Also, England was watching both sides with interest. She wanted to jump in at the last minute to delare their "undying moral obligation to the rights of man", but could not decide on which side would win. The Brits send military observers to the South to see if they could actually win the war. Conversly, it was to England and Europe's advantage to keep the war going to break the South. Cotton from the Southern states was not getting to the world's market and countries like England, France and Spain had were making a fortune from cotton holdings in India, South America and the middle east. The northern business interests, in an attempt to curry the favor on the "civilized" European nations for trade, pressured the Lincoln administration to abolish slavery.

So when we really look at the politics of the War between the States, the deeper we look, the darker and less moral it becomes. I can't remember who said this but it is seems appropriate "Why do nations go to war? Money and its control."

As a side note the New York Draft Riots were triggered by the practice of a rich man buying himself out of the draft. All a rich guy had to do is find a poor man who would be willing to take his place and pay the government the fee. Trouble with this was that many a poor man that never agreed to take the place of rich man was drafted in the rich mans place. (New York version of shanghi) And New York was spit about fifty-fifty concerning the debat of States Rights.

just my two cents worth...I owe you some change.

Joe Portale
Arizona Territory

Hoplite

Actually, I think only a relatively small number of the slaves the British whipped up against the colonist during the revolution were ever repatriated to Africa. The majority were abandoned to their fate (which I'm sure wasn't pleasant). This type of rebelion was an vicious tactic the British used against the colonist and then in the end they double crossed those slaves anyway.

I think the role of masonic type secret societies in fomenting violence in pre Civil War America is not covered to the degree it should be in most history books. It would seem at least some of the war was due to European (mostly British) financial elements trying to weaken or divide America so they could tighten their hold on the young nations wealth.

Yes, I agree, slavery was about as much a reason for the civil war as saving starving people in Somalia and Albanian refugees in Kosovo is a reason for recent American military actions in those countries. Essentially a ruse to appeal to the concience of the foolish so that the ruling class can further it's own causes.

Ed Brunner

Someone has mentioned the parallel between this country becoming independent fron England and the eleven states trying to become independent fron the Union.

I think the same motivation is being expressed by the Southernist Party. It appeals to a lot of people.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
I am amazed and excited that so many of us agree, at least in general terms, that the federal usurpation of states' rights began as far back as Lincoln, if not earlier.

One reason I moved to the South was that I was out of step with the North (of the 1940s & 1950s). My classmates and teachers felt the North could control a strong central government and thus control the South.

Even then, I felt the more local a government, the closer it would be to "We the People". Therefore, the Confederate "states' rights" stance seemed more logical, fair, and workable (in most areas) than did the strong central government concept.

Tell me truthfully - doesn't it seem there really is a re-birth of America's original intent spreading across America? Or is it just on TFL and a few other "gun" BBSs?

How can we help this develop into a movement that our current rulers will understand, appreciate, and respond to?

longhair

Hoplite, could you please enlighten me on how the masons had a role in starting the War for Southern Independence? I am indeed curious about that statement... thanks

------------------
what me worry?

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited June 25, 1999).]