The better press for match-grade rifle

RPSmith

Looking for a little help here.

I'm down to two on the progressive press front: Dillon 550B or Hornady Lock N Load.

I'll add that I would love to ALSO have a Harrell press dedicated to rifle, BUT my checkbook has other ideas :rolleyes:

Soooooo...I can only afford one progressive loader for the moment (progressive because I also shoot a lot of pistol:)) and I am wondering which press you prefer for match rifle reloading.

I reload .308, 22-250, .308.

One day, I'll own a beautiful, dedicated press to match-winning ammo, but until then which would you choose and why?

Thanks

RP

88KEYS

I think this is a good question, loading Match ammo is different than volume loading. I just want to say a few things the Dillon 550B great loader, last year I broke (after 10 plus years) the cast iron at the base that moves the ram. Dillon said send it back, long story short it came back with over $200 in new parts and upgrades, free.

I have a friend that has the Hornady and it looks good and would be good for slower Match loads. However the Dillon can be used as a single stage press loading one round at a time. Either are great units and won’t let you down.
I use the Dillon for most stuff and when loading Match rounds use my old Rock Chucker. I started with. If you go progressive you can find an old Rock Chucker used for around $60, and used that for match stuff. I would go with Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, good products with great warranty.

I must say love the Hornady dies; they are not high priced but could be really great stuff.

Used Rock Chucker

I am with 88KEYS I would go with the Used RC and put the saved $$$ into a better set of Competition dies and start toward a better powder measure for producing match class ammo

My RC with comp dies have served me well for 30 years and the Chargemaster set to auto puts me in heaven..

Nothing against the dillon mine have done 1st class pistol for 25 years

highvel

Yep, I have a 550 and a Rock Crusher, I use the Dillon for all my pistol ammo and the Rock for all my rifles.
I like to load the rifle cartridges one at a time, and I am all about consistancy, I dont like thrown charges, I weigh every one for my rifles.
Just the way I like to do it!

gearheadpyro

I'm going to go a little different route. I love my Forster Co-Ax. It puts out ammo to within .001 every time.

Nothing against the Rock Chucker, but I'm sticking with Forster.

BigJakeJ1s

The LNL AP can run single stage or turret style too.

For single stage loading, just remove every die/station but the one you are using (easy to do on a LNL AP!). You can even use the case feeder if you have it. And you don't have to manually remove the case from the press, it will advance through the empty stations until it ejects out of the last one.

For Turret style reloading, just load one round, then cycle it through all the stations, then load another round. The LNL AP does not dispense a new primer until the current one is consumed.

The easily interchangeable die stations also make it easier to customize the LNL AP setup for a specific run. You can swap your neck sizer for a full-length sizer, etc. You can even move the powder charge to another station, and have two sizing dies (e.g. a neck die and a shoulder bump die) in the press at once.

I use a Forster co-ax single stage, and I like it a lot. It is very accurate and easy to use, but a lot slower than a progressive.

Andy

FM12

+1 to gearheadpyro, the Co-Ax is the best as far as I'm concerned. Handy also: snap in/out dies, primer catcher, universal (pretty much) case holder (no need for shell holders) and smooth!

Nomadicone

To squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of a match rifle there is nothing like an arbor press and Wilson straight line seaters and neck dies. I still have mine from the benchrest days and still use them on about every rifle. I don't even load praire dog loads on a progressive but that's just me. It really isn't that expensive for a arbor press and straight line dies.